Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSS10 re-adjust ride height - need to re-align?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 03:42 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default PSS10 re-adjust ride height - need to re-align?

If I re-adjust the ride height on my PSS10's do I need to re-align?
Old 07-31-2009, 03:49 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, changing ride height changes the static alignment.

Think of it this way: As you go around a corner, the outside spring compresses and the suspension tries to give you more camber. The toe probably changes also - depends on the car. When you raise or lower your car you are doing the equivalent of compressing or decompressing the spring.

You may find that you don't mind the change of alignment as it should be fairly minor, but, it could be the difference between wearing your tires out quickly or not.

Bob
Old 07-31-2009, 07:37 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Yup, it changes toe, & camber. But really if you only move it a couple of turns you should be ok.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:48 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Yup, it changes toe, & camber. But really if you only move it a couple of turns you should be ok.
Hey Stealth,
What do you think a couple of turns measures out to in chassis movement? Quarter of an inch mabey?
Old 07-31-2009, 07:54 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think one turn is about 2-3mm's but don't quote me on this...I've been told by an alignment/suspension shop that one could move a couple turns and likely be fine for street driving.

Are you wanting to drop it all the way around or just bring one end up? Also, probably not a good idea to mess with just one corner...if you make a change do it to both sides.
Old 07-31-2009, 08:00 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by flatsixforme
I think one turn is about 2-3mm's but don't quote me on this...I've been told by an alignment/suspension shop that one could move a couple turns and likely be fine for street driving.

Are you wanting to drop it all the way around or just bring one end up? Also, probably not a good idea to mess with just one corner...if you make a change do it to both sides.
Actually, I want to bring the butt down about a quarter inch. If one turn is 3mm then a couple turns would get me there....
Old 07-31-2009, 08:42 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Bringing the rear down a tad won't affect you as much as adjusting the front. It will give a bit more neg. camber in the rear and, if the car has been corner-balanced, it will throw that off somewhat as well. Keep in mind that the rear should be ever so slightly higher than the front.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:22 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Bringing the rear down a tad won't affect you as much as adjusting the front. It will give a bit more neg. camber in the rear and, if the car has been corner-balanced, it will throw that off somewhat as well. Keep in mind that the rear should be ever so slightly higher than the front.
Why is that? Acceleration downforce?
Old 07-31-2009, 10:36 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

That probably has something to do with it, aerodynamics, etc. It's not restricted to just Porsche. BMW, M-B, etc. ...all have slight negative rake.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:02 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
Hey Stealth,
What do you think a couple of turns measures out to in chassis movement? Quarter of an inch mabey?
That is about the max I would do with out getting it realigned. It will add a bit more camber & toe in the rear. Going down is up then going down in the rear. If you run 0 rear toe & went up, you can get toe out, & that can be very dangerous.

Last edited by Stealth 993; 08-01-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:26 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not even going to guess on kinematic toe with any change in ride height...........

On a trailing arm car I usually found 1/2" in ride height changed toe maybe 1/8" (lowering would toe out, obviously). All bets are off on a 993.

In any case, I'd follow the established euro/RS height. If it didn't get set right the first time around, I suggest having whoever correct it. If you did it yourself, toe is absolutely the biggest factor in tire wear with a street driven car.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:50 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by race911
I'm not even going to guess on kinematic toe with any change in ride height...........

On a trailing arm car I usually found 1/2" in ride height changed toe maybe 1/8" (lowering would toe out, obviously). All bets are off on a 993.

In any case, I'd follow the established euro/RS height. If it didn't get set right the first time around, I suggest having whoever correct it. If you did it yourself, toe is absolutely the biggest factor in tire wear with a street driven car.
The shop who did it set it up correctly, I'm just not a big fan of negative rake, however, it's so slight, I'll probably leave it alone until I need a re-align and then have it set so the car sits even.

Quick Reply: PSS10 re-adjust ride height - need to re-align?