Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
If 9M does it the way Geoffrey does it(I believe that they do) the MAF is also removed, like on a Cup car, this has to help intake flow some
Geoffrey and I pretty much share the same ideas regarding Motec installations, so anyone in the US who is interested in a package might like to contact him first.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:27 AM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Juha G
From my own experience the biggest difference in hp was made by advancing the ignition over what the stock mapping allows for...
All else is just fine tuning and while equally important, it does not add to hp count much.

Also, one should not only look at the top figures (hp/torque) but the shape and size of the torque curve. It tells you so much more about the engine.
I got +50Nm troughout the entire powerband with Motec, that is way different from getting for example +80Nm in a very narrow area...
Fuel injectors and the control of their fuel delivery and atomisation also play a large part with the in-cylinder burn rate and the mass fraction of the burn - get this right and you may find that you actually need less ignition timing due to an increase in the burn speed.

You are absolutely right about the "area under the power curve", it is far more beneficial than a notional peak value.
Old 07-05-2012, 11:12 AM
joe original@flash.net
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again I ask will this set up work on cars with obII and 200 cell cats
ie.. 96 and newer?
Old 07-05-2012, 12:46 PM
NineMeister
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by joe [email
original@flash.net[/email];9662636]Again I ask will this set up work on cars with obII and 200 cell cats
ie.. 96 and newer?
Yes to both, but of course it will not be OBD2 compliant in respect of check light functions or diagnostics.

Also, in order to connect to the 88 pin loom you will need to find a scrap 88 pin ecu from another car to use for the Motec adapter box (because neither myself nor Geoffrey could find the 88 pin AMP ecu male plugs readily available for sale). The OBD2 ecu is not commonly found in Europe, hence all the conversions I have done are on a 55 pin Euro 993 - apart from one in the shop now which is having a full new custom made wiring harness to match a M84 to a throttle body 3.8 engine.

As for previous question about Tiptronic, I think the answer is no. Certainly I have never attempted a Motec conversion on a Tip but in addition to that, I have no desire to attempt one as I could not guarantee to get the expected results.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:19 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"From my own experience the biggest difference in hp was made by advancing the ignition over what the stock mapping allows for...
All else is just fine tuning and while equally important, it does not add to hp count much."

So right on for a stock engine!
Read here for some supportive data: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...-the-myth.html

Quick Reply: 9m Racing Varioram Motronic to Non-Varioram + Motec conversion