Sponsored by:

RS Parts Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:17 AM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RS Parts Advice

So I am undecided where to go with the car, I really love all the RS look parts but, being its arena red and tan (not exactly racy) not a bright red, yellow or typical RS color would it look a little weird?

I am not looking to spend huge money and the car is in good shape with lower miles, interior is great, so putting it back to stock would be semi desirable. I will also do the occasional DE and Autox.

I already have PSS9's, sways, and exhaust
i am kinda thinking:

RS Wheels - Are they really that expensive? How much? Replicas?
Splitters - I have seen these a number of places - recommendations?
Rockers? I saw one guy on 6speed will be making these.
Rear Deck - I saw a couple places make this - any recommendations?

Other than a 3.8 - anything else I am missing on the exterior?

OR

Should I scrap this idea and go another route? Open to suggestions please help! thanks all!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 01:28 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by cohare
So I am undecided where to go with the car,

Should I scrap this idea and go another route? Open to suggestions please help! thanks all!!!
do what makes you happy, then do something else when you want to try something new.

pm zombieporsche 44 (I think that's his screen name) for the hot setupon aftermarket RS look splitters / rockers / spoiler

cheers

Craig
Old 07-24-2009, 09:53 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 561 Likes on 385 Posts

I used all factory parts, all I can say is they are quality, fit well and are strong. I hit big Sea Gull that was sitting on the line in the esses at speed at the Glen yesterday, blood, feathers & gore every where but no damage.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, oem Speedlines are expensive, they were getting close to $5k installed last I looked, They are great wheels but not for everyone, I wanted mine as close to RS in all appearances as I could get sooo they were worth it to me. You can get a nice light set of BBS for less.

Depending on ride height and usage the best fitting wheels will all use the factory width and o/s, 8x18ET52 & 10x18ET65
Old 07-24-2009, 10:30 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I found my RS Speedlines for $3600 right here on Rennlist, in near-perfect original condition. I got a smokin' deal, and would say that any price for these wheels around $4K is worth jumping on.

But RS wheels, unlike the other RS parts, are really all about cosmetics. You're paying purely for looks. I guess I'm superficial.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am undecided where to go with the car, I really love all the RS look parts but, being its arena red and tan (not exactly racy) not a bright red, yellow or typical RS color would it look a little weird?

I am not looking to spend huge money and the car is in good shape with lower miles, interior is great, so putting it back to stock would be semi desirable. I will also do the occasional DE and Autox.

I already have PSS9's, sways, and exhaust
i am kinda thinking:

Other than a 3.8 - anything else I am missing on the exterior?

OR

I may be biased here....but I think Arena Red can look racey...
Attached Images    
Old 07-24-2009, 11:02 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice used Speedline Alesio wheels without the Porsche inscription (essentially the same wheel) sell for $2k to $2.5k. Just be patient.
OEM are much more durable so buy those unless you're budget is really really tight.
Various people have been saying that for years, so don't hold your breath. For now, you're stuck with factory.
Aftermarket fiberglass are great quality. I see no reason to buy OEM unless you're really wedded to the "purity" idea, in which case you better have a huge checkbook cuz a true RS clone is huge $$.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:37 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
Nice used Speedline Alesio wheels without the Porsche inscription (essentially the same wheel) sell for $2k to $2.5k. Just be patient.
The Alissios are one of the wheels I was refering to which have poor o/s's, they are fine unless the car is lowered a lot. They also are very heavy(like the oems) If I was looking for wheels there are several light strong options which have the correct widths and o/s, though they don't look as good as the oem's(beauty being in the eye of the beholder)
Old 07-24-2009, 02:55 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill - Do you know what the deal is with the "new" Speedlines...the ones marked "SPEEDLiNE" rather than "SPEEDLINE"? From what I understand they are basically the same wheels, offset, quality, but price is more reasonable and the are more readily available. Are they a reissue?

Tx
Old 07-24-2009, 03:44 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 19 Posts

In the end I say do what you like. I have a turbo front bumper and an RS tail and blackout out turbo twist wheels. While it may be a mutt, it is the combination of my favorite parts and I think it looks great!
Old 07-24-2009, 04:47 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How come all you RS clone folks aren't trying to get the tighter ratio steering rack from the RS? Or the different piston calipers?

-reiner
Old 07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in LA
Bill - Do you know what the deal is with the "new" Speedlines...the ones marked "SPEEDLiNE" rather than "SPEEDLINE"? From what I understand they are basically the same wheels, offset, quality, but price is more reasonable and the are more readily available. Are they a reissue?

Tx
They are a new batch of the oems , but w/ a minor difference, the 'I' is now an 'i', there is no discount for them. They are(or were) available though the deal channels, supplies were getting very low last I heard.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:11 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ReinerFink
How come all you RS clone folks aren't trying to get the tighter ratio steering rack from the RS? Or the different piston calipers?

-reiner
993RS steering is slower than that used on the others

many of us do have and love the f/r RS caliper/rotor sets
Old 07-24-2009, 05:48 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ReinerFink

-reiner
As BillV points out, many owners do go to trmendous lengths to fit the correct parts. With respect, due to the cost/benefit ratio, you have to be ever so slightly nuts, to replicate absolutely everything!

If you need to get obsessive about it, how about the thinner glass and the clear rear screen without a heating element....ouch! I can't imagine the cost for so little benefit from that mod.

With respect to the Speedlines, as often said on here, although they look fantastic, they can be a nightmare to own..In europe, many owners store the Speedlines and fit either BBS racing (as per RSR) or other lighter wheels.

I rarely use my speedlines in favour of carrera 02 5 spokes..I am looking out for a set for a mate who recently purchased a low miles rhd CS, so that the Speedlines can be stored.
Soon, you will be able to spot the RS replica/clone cars as they will be the only ones with the real wheels!
Old 07-24-2009, 06:10 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

All great advice all...

I really like the RS wheels for beauty factory, 5k is quite steep, exactly what I was afraid of. Are the alessio's look exactly the same or just similar? I am not worried about being exactly porsche correct, just how it looks. i have wheels for the track..

Bill your car is georgeous!

Dave your car looks great too!

Brendan - do you mind posting pics of yours?

Now I am thinking keeping the turbo twists I have, RS splitters and rear spoiler.

I appreciate all the advice, keep it up!

Quick Reply: RS Parts Advice