993 Forum 1995-1998

Calling All So Cal Porsche Owners - Cars & Coffee August 8th 2009

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 03:05 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Iwas there yesterday. According to somebody at the event there were 200 cars waiting to get in. I also heard that they are not thrilled with a lot of one make showing up except Ferrari's, pimpcars errr Lamborghini's, Corvettes or the Neurotic, BMW owners.

There was a Shelby Daytona, a Ferrari 275GTB, a Kaiser, and a Packard to make one happy.

We should let them know that we coming ang we should have a rally point for the guys from LA to meet up. What do you think?
The later you get there, the more picky the organizers. There was an issue a while back where the entire S2000 club came in and "took over" C&C. I don't see how a bunch of (near) classic Porsches can have the same ruining effect, especially if they are in place at 6:00 a.m. That's the right time to get there based on my most recent trip. It begins and ends early, and I'm not aware of a good way to contact the organizers. Even if you did, I doubt that they would bless a larger group unless it was honored marque day.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:21 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude68
The later you get there, the more picky the organizers. There was an issue a while back where the entire S2000 club came in and "took over" C&C. I don't see how a bunch of (near) classic Porsches can have the same ruining effect, especially if they are in place at 6:00 a.m. That's the right time to get there based on my most recent trip. It begins and ends early, and I'm not aware of a good way to contact the organizers. Even if you did, I doubt that they would bless a larger group unless it was honored marque day.

On the other hand, what are the chances of them declaring it Porsche day if they know a large group wants to attend?
I actually may be able to make Aug 8!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:25 AM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I passed through on Saturday morning and indeed the lot was packed, with quite a few disappointed cars (... and owners) were left out of the Cars & Coffee parking lot and had to be retired to the Ford's parking structure.

Make evey effort to get there early (NLT 6:00am), contact the organizers (if possible) to give a heads up if the group is very large (over 20 cars) as it will asssit in better cordination and possible alleviate any dissapointemnt.

Which ever way, see you there.
Old 07-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I found myself appearing in several videos all over the internet. LOL!

Here is one, go to 4:57 section of the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=079KHz5-fME

Here is another on I show up at 0.39 second
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vi5Ny1OxR_8
Old 07-27-2009, 12:49 PM
ChuckG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

This was posted on the 997 forum; I think contact info for the organizers is included:

I noticed your plans for August 8 Cars & Coffee. Fact is, there is already a featured marque scheduled for that day. Please read their post below (that ran on Ferrari Chat several weeks ago). To assure space and a good welcome, you should contact the C&C organizers as they suggest below. They have featured Porsche on several occasions and it's really cool, Porsche signs erected and special space for you, but it has to be scheduled in advance! The 356 guys had a marque just a couple of weeks ago and it was great. It was great because they were gracious guests and got the OK from the hosts, who are gracious themselves when guest are polite.

Quote:
As many have pointed out, we're faced with overcrowding at Cars & Coffee. It has been our desire from the outset to welcome EVERYONE, but that has been with the request that this be a word-of-mouth gathering, not promoted online or through the media, and not surprised by pre-arranged caravans of cars arriving without confirming their plans in advance with the organizers. This is why we have asked area media and websites to not cover it. The vision of Cars & Coffee continues to be the preservation of what was started at Crystal Cove, to host a good variety of cars that are of interest and are unusual.

What makes a car "of interest?" The simplest way to put it is ... cars that you don't see the other six days of the week! If it's a car that is driven every day, odds are, it's not a car that will get people out of bed at 6 a.m. on a Saturday. Of course there will be a few exceptions, but that can be a general guide. If you remember the original Crystal Cove gathering, they did get to the point of excluding cars. We are trying to avoid that and we have only turned away cars when we are full. We rely on people to "self-police" in their awareness that a car you'd see in the shopping center lot on a Tuesday is probably not a top priority for the exhibitor lot at C&C. Such a car shouldn't be taking a space on Saturday morning that would require us to turn away a Tucker, a Jaguar XK-120, a Porsche 904, a Bugatti Veyron or a Ferrari 599, for example. Our parking structure holds 700 cars! We urge everyone to use it if you bring something not appropriate for exhibit. It's a matter of courtesy for your fellow enthusiasts. Above all, communicate with us, the organizers, if you are thinking of showing up with your whole forum in tow. Please get permission first or at least respect the decision of the organizers when they ask you to park together in the spectator lot. With advance notice, we can probably arrange for the featured marque lot that holds 50 cars. How to communicate? Stop at the entry driveway where volunteers are welcoming exhibitors. Or, give John Clinard a call at 949-242-6677. With advanced planning and your assurance of attendance within space constraints, any group or club that is put on the calendar can be better assured of a warm welcome, adequate space and a good time.

Since C&C began in October 2006, we have hosted 140 shows and over 70,000 cars! We have only had to turn cars away on three Saturdays, and each of those were because large groups showed up without pre-announcing their plans. That was no fun for anyone.

You've noticed we don't have a website and we never publicize featured marques. Why? Two reasons: to keep every Saturday a surprise, and to prevent Internet traffic that would produce excessive attendance requiring people to be turned away. Our limited space requires us to rely upon old-fashioned word-of-mouth. We fill the lot with this approach, and further promotion will hurt us all. While we work to minimize "rules" and "organization," some amount of pre-planning is essential in order to keep attendance within our capacity. The people at Ford and Mazda are generously sharing their parking lot and building facilities every Saturday. This is an opportunity that doesn't come along often, and we ask that everyone work together to assure a quality exhibit with limited attendance that allows room for everyone. Good community spirit and a bit of advanced planning assures a good time for all!

C&C
Old 07-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like we need to find out own gathering spot just for the Porsches....
Old 07-27-2009, 09:49 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They seem not to want to see us. I think we should at least contact them. Remind them that the Monterey Historics the next week has Porsche as he Marque.

There is a San Gabriel Valley group that meets on that Saturday at KRISPY KREME at 8 that day
Old 07-27-2009, 09:57 PM
craiger914
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

San Gabriel? Thats a ways from the C&C event...?

There's a Stater Brothers off of Moulton and El Toro, huge parking lot and Starbucks..... (cause we could sll use some lead in the am....6 is early for me, for a weekend.

Just a thought.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:26 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

Originally Posted by FGL28
They seem not to want to see us. I think we should at least contact them. Remind them that the Monterey Historics the next week has Porsche as he Marque.

There is a San Gabriel Valley group that meets on that Saturday at KRISPY KREME at 8 that day
I never got that impression at all. I've been going to this event from when it was held over at Crystal Cove. They are just trying to prevent overcrowding, and to ensure that their event stays small and controlled. If it got 'out of hand' as it did over at Crystal Cove, then everybody would loose.

Why not contact them and see what can be arranged for your group? Also, be accommodating with them, if they already have a group committed to them on your choice weekend.

Want to meet up with another Porsche group. Join the PCA Zone 8, OCR Region for their 3rd Saturday of the month gathering, at Krspy Kreme Donuts, in the Block of Orange, in Orange, California. They meet at 8:30am for a Porsche gathering in the parking lot. (Hope the PCA Zone 8, OCR Region, does get mad for my extended invitation but it's about Porsche's....) Big parking lot that can accommodate numerous cars.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:00 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by SAM DACOSTA
Why not contact them and see what can be arranged for your group? Also, be accommodating with them, if they already have a group committed to them on your choice weekend.

Agreed
the concept of "and take over a whole section of the event for Porsche." does not seem like a good way to spread good vibes.
Contact them, find out when THEY want to do a P car day, then show up.
Or just park in the overflow lot and walk over to the "show-ring" to see the cars that made it in.

I go 5 - 6 times a year, it's usually time well-spent.

Craig

Last edited by cgfen; 07-29-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:19 PM
SAM DACOSTA
Racer

As an alternative if your group gets turned down and you want to take the drive up to Orange County. Our local PCA Club, Zone 8, OCR Region hosts this Porsche "kick the tires" gathering at Krispy Kreme, the 3rd Saturday of each month. The next date is listed below;

Saturday, August 15, 2009 8:30 AM - 10:30 AM
Added by: 993Nicole

Come kick the tires in the parking lot of the Block in Orange while enjoying some donuts with your friends.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:22 PM
Roger Grago
Cruisin'

Default You're invited Open House at Truspeed after Cars & Coffee

All you guys are invited to our Open House at TruSpeed after Cars and Coffee on Saturday Aug 8th 9am to 12noon. We will have our Speed World Challenge Team 997's and Vintage Porsche Race Cars on display. Please come by and see our new 28,000 sq ft facility. See our website for directions.

All the best!

Roger Grago
Director Parts & Service
TruSpeed Motorcars

www.truspeedmotorcars.com
Old 08-03-2009, 11:02 PM
mobonic
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

5 days and counting!

Looks like we will be having not 1 but 2 - 2010 GT3's showing up...and they will both have some cool surprises!

25 pcars signed up...

who else wants in!
Old 08-04-2009, 12:02 AM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

I'll be there....
Old 08-04-2009, 12:32 AM
helmet155
Pro

I'll be there...