993 Forum 1995-1998

clutch pedal lever

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Floyd Landis
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default clutch pedal lever

I replaced the clutch pedal lever with the updated part to fix the return issue but now the clutch pedal is about 2" lower than the brake pedal. There is only one position the lever can fit because of the spline arrangement. Has anyone else encountered this issue?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:02 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Wink

welcome to Rennlist. I can't answer your question. I need to do this update as well to my car and would appreciate the answer. Floyd is this for your 993 or your bike??? not in the Tour this year??
Old 07-23-2009, 02:41 PM
Floyd Landis
Intermediate

Sitting this one out, thanks for asking. Meanwhile, I'd like to hear from somebody else that has installed the lever and if they had the issue. Maybe you can do it this weekend and let me know how it went?
Old 07-23-2009, 04:24 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

this is the link for the DIY on what you just did. http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...inematic_Lever

since no one else has responded yet, and in the past I haven't heard of anyone having problems after changing the lever I would wonder; does the system need bleeding or is there a problem with the slave or master cylinder? the slave cylinder is pretty prone to problems and is not expensive. not easy to get to though, on top of the transmission housing. just a couple of thoughts.

look forward to seeing you back on the racing circuit at some point!
Old 07-23-2009, 04:40 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

hmmm, I bet he's Floyd Landis like I'm Chris Horner
Old 07-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you tried to adjust the clutch servo spring tension screw?

Remember, the pressure you are fighting when you press the pedal is from both the return spring and the pressure of the pressure plate.

The adjustment screw basically adjusts the tention so that there is a smooth transition going from spring tension to pressure plate tension. If I am not mistaken the 1st part of the pedal take off is from the spring tension, so if the spring tension is not adjusted properly it will leave your pedal lower.

It has been awhile since I did that DIY, that's what I can remember from that.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:51 PM
Floyd Landis
Intermediate

So... everybody else that has replaced the clutch pedal lever had no problems with the pedal position when they got it back together.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:27 AM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't have any problems when I replaced mine... only oops was when I shot brake fluid across the shop onto the wifes stuff when I actuated the pedal after the assembly was out of the car.

-reiner
Old 07-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I have done a few, and did not encounter that problem. Once you rebuilt the cluster, the pedal should be at the top position, since the helper spring will put it there. Was that true? I assume you got the splines right (you would have to force things quite a bit otherwise), and the linkage between the pedal and the spring assembly?

The clutch master cylinder should also be fully out, so you have to wrestle a bit to get the pin in. Was that true in your case?

There is no major height adjustment on the cluster, just tension.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: clutch pedal lever