Sponsored by:

Funky Smell

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 08:58 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Funky Smell

We've been enjoying warm weather here in the northeast and so this problem has become more pronounced. The car smell funky even when the a/c is not on. (And yes; I've showed in the past thirty day!) The first time I used the a/c this summer, my SO and I almost choked on the noxious fumes that came out. It got better with time, but there is still a strange smell in the cabin even when the a/c is not on. I checked the carpets etc and they show no sign of mold or water damage, so I'm coming to the pit masters to ask what might be the source. TIA!

(Showered) My attempt at humor was mis-spelled.

Last edited by pcarhombre; 07-17-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:11 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never had it from the AC vents in my car but a possible culprit is wet pollen filters. My wifey had this problem in her Mazda. Easy enough to pull them out and sniff them to see if they are the cause.
http://p-car.com/diy/pollen/pollen.htm
I think it is difficult for water to get into them, but maybe with your car sitting they got stinky.

If it's a moldy smell, maybe your evaporator core got funked up from sitting. My buddy has this in his older 911 from sitting for a year. Harder to get to and clean.
http://p-car.com/diy/ac/

dave
Old 07-17-2009, 02:04 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dave. I'll take a look at it tomorrow! I sure as heck hope it isn't the evap core. That looks like a PITA for sure!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:33 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you remove the air filters, look deeper below into the ventilation system.

You should be able to see the front side of the evaporator core.

Buy an A/C cleaning/disinfection spray. (One of those that come with a long flexible tube, that you can stick into hard-to-get-to areas)

Apply the cleaning foam generously and let is work for a while (15-30 min)

Also, on the 964 you can get to the rear side of the evaporator from the inside of the car, by removing the radio. I guess it is the same on a 993.

It's a bit fiddly, but a Hell of a lot easier than dismantling the innards of the ventilation system from the boot side.

I wrote a Thread about it a while ago: "Getting rid of foul A/C smell"

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=24395

Good luck!
Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 AM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 on looking beyond the filters, and not saying this is the case with your car, I had a friend with a SAAB that he stored for the winter and a mouse died in the vent hoses. It took him forever to find it and his car smelled even if the air wasn't on. Just fresh air open it would smell as well. Are the fumes smelling like something is dead or is it a stagnate smell? From my experience it is usually something other than the filter. They do make a disenfecting spray, but you have to figure out the smell.

Mike
Old 07-17-2009, 11:25 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

You know those 'plastic containers' that you hook up to your hose - that you use to spray "Scotts Turfbuilder" or the like onto your grass?

Well, I use one of those - but i fill it half-way with Lysol (concentrated liquid) -- "lemon scent".

Then I attach the hose, flick the setting to 'fill' -- then when it's filled I open the valve and literally 'douse' the car with it (an Irish expression) and make sure that I get into every opening and crevice -- esp. the frontal area and the trunk (yes, yes, having first taken everything out...jeebers!).

To date -- no stinky car! ...and, yes, sometimes mine 'sits' for weeks on end during some of the crappier winters that we've had, here in the New Yawk area.

Gerry
Old 07-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

You got some mold in the AC vents. Usually it happens from being in a humid climate & keeping the AC on for longer time. The wet air stays in the vents after you turn the car off, & sits there, then mold starts to grow. The way to stop it from happening is turn the AC off before you shut the car & let the vents run for about 5min before you shut the car off. Do it a couple of miles before you get to where you are going.

To kill it, change the pollen filters, then get this & spray it in the vents.

http://www.detailersdomain.com/index...PROD&ProdID=41
Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

All of the above and make certain your condensate drain pipe is clear..if it is plugged moisture may
build and supply mildew with a water source..
Old 07-17-2009, 01:58 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Wow! Thanks guys for all your help!
budge96: where is this drain pipe located?

Stealth: Hope all is well. I'm ordering the Klima Cleaner today!

Gerry: You mean spray the interior with mats out etc?

Mike: not an organic decay smell; more like junior high locker room.

Jens: after applying the foam, do I wash it off or just leave it alone?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Just put in the foam & leave it, you do not remove it. Really just spray & walk away. Then enjoy the clean smell next time you are in the car!
Old 07-17-2009, 02:45 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Re: Lysol.

I spray the 'Lysol concentrate' (via the garden hose) --

i) into the trunk (after having removed all carpeting, spare tire, toolkit, etc. etc!)
ii) into the door jambs
iii) into the front air intake
iv) and into the front 'louvres' just beneath the turn-signal-lights.
v) I also, once a year, take out the carpets and give them a good washing, 'finishing off' with a 'Lysol rinse'.

Not for nuffin' though, it DOES sound like YOUR particular problem has to do with 'mold' in the A/C pipes/ducts.

Gerry
Old 07-17-2009, 03:57 PM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Stealth says, it's spray and play.

Just put the foam on the evaporator, leave it to do its thing and enjoy the result :-)

Quick Reply: Funky Smell