Sponsored by:

I love my underpowered '95!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 05:04 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fly911
The non Vario Ram 993 is better than the Vario Ram in nearly every way. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper and easier to do maintrenance, the engine is more responsive, it's lighter, it's cheaper and easier to chip (concervative 300HP with FVD chip and sport mufflers, the Vario Ram also will give 300HP with chip and sport mufflers), the non VRam does not have OBDII port, i.e. easier smogg tests, you can use cat delete pipes without CEL, the list goes on and on. The German magasine Auto Motor und Sport tested the non VR and VR 993's side by side, both did 0-100km/h (62mph) in 5.2 seconds, and at standstill to 1km the non VR was 0.2 seconds faster! The only benefit of the VR is the higher torque on low rpm, so if you put-put around town in 4th gear the VR is the thing. Until you clog up the SAI and get a CEL and fail smog test on the next inspection. So why do people want the VR? It looks cooler and it's newer than the non VR. The verdict of the non VR v.s. the VR, is that Porsche abandoned the VR system, and for all 986/987 and 996/997 cars went back the the non VR of the 94-95 model 993, using a fixed resonance chamber in the air intake, with an on/off butterfly valve to optimize air induction over the rpm range. Let all the "ignorant" have the VR 993's, while the 993 connoisseurs choose the non VR cars.
Thanks for that. I still like my 993.
Cheers,
Old 07-15-2009, 05:18 PM
ElferPilot
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
But I didn't know that '95's have shorter gears.
RoW cars do. US, Swiss and Austrian cars do not.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:24 PM
nsully
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I like all 993's. I have had one of each, a 95, and now a 97. However, when it comes to working in the engine bay, without dropping the engine the 95 wins hands down!
Working on Andreas's 95 and removing the manifold as well as the SAI system was straightforward. Most of what you need to touch is in view. The varioram changes all of that, with a lot of "by feel" wrenching. The second time I do it I will be much better :-).
Regarding the throttle cable. That was a piece of cake. Both of the black plastic clips that secure the CC and the throttle are easy to do by feel. What we blew at least an hour and a half on was seating the rubber, accordion style boot, that slips over the throttle cable and seats in a circular metal ring. Just couldn't get enough purchase on it to push it up and into the ring. Finally pulled the manifold back out a couple of inches, lubed it up, cussed a bit, and got it done. The rest was just time consuming, we have never seen so many vacuum lines.
I must admit there was a moment when we looked at each other, calculated the time difference, and contemplated calling Steve, in Portland. Would have made your evening complete-right?
I want to pass on that the report on my injectors from RC was that 2 had a spray pattern described as a dribble and the volumes were all over the place. I will report after a few drives.
And, what drove this slope of madness was replacing the alternator, that has gone up in price at Sunset ( was $194, now $490). I went with Pelican for around $200 with free shipping.
Overall, a good time, learned a lot, and Andreas is tutoring me to cuss in German. What could go wrong?
Neil
Old 07-15-2009, 05:25 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
For that reason we no longer remove the throttle cable at the throttle body end when we do an engine drop, we disconnect it from the gas pedal and slide out the cable completely.

A-Ha!!!

Andreas
Old 07-15-2009, 05:29 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nsully
Overall, a good time, learned a lot, and Andreas is tutoring me to cuss in German. What could go wrong?

Regardless of language, you held your own just fine!

Andreas
Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The non Vario Ram 993 is better than the Vario Ram in nearly every way. It's cheaper to buy, cheaper and easier to do maintrenance, the engine is more responsive, it's lighter, it's cheaper and easier to chip (concervative 300HP with FVD chip and sport mufflers, the Vario Ram also will give 300HP with chip and sport mufflers), the non VRam does not have OBDII port, i.e. easier smogg tests, you can use cat delete pipes without CEL, the list goes on and on. The German magasine Auto Motor und Sport tested the non VR and VR 993's side by side, both did 0-100km/h (62mph) in 5.2 seconds, and at standstill to 1km the non VR was 0.2 seconds faster! The only benefit of the VR is the higher torque on low rpm, so if you put-put around town in 4th gear the VR is the thing. Until you clog up the SAI and get a CEL and fail smog test on the next inspection. So why do people want the VR? It looks cooler and it's newer than the non VR. The verdict of the non VR v.s. the VR, is that Porsche abandoned the VR system, and for all 986/987 and 996/997 cars went back the the non VR of the 94-95 model 993, using a fixed resonance chamber in the air intake, with an on/off butterfly valve to optimize air induction over the rpm range. Let all the "ignorant" have the VR 993's, while the 993 connoisseurs choose the non VR cars.
Uh, do the "ignorant" also include 993RS owners? Those cars all have vram.
FWIW, I'm pleased with the vram conversion I performed on my 95. A nice upgrade for a street driven 993.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:51 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Too funny...

So...you now consider yourself a "993 connoisseur"?

Tell me, how long have you had your 993?
Old 07-15-2009, 05:53 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Regardless of language, you held your own just fine!

Andreas
Guess my invite was lost at the USPS?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 PM
face-ache
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool aid cool aid, tastes great! yada yada. like a mule to the watering hole....LOL!
Old 07-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Chris Walrod and I was working on a 993 this weekend and we were just chit chatting about overall design and components of the car. I had my hand over the varioram manifold of a hot engine and felt the heat soaked runners and can't help ask why Porsche didn't go with composite/plastic runnings for less heat soak issues. Can't imagine what the temp. is like inside of the intake runners...
Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 570 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
But I didn't know that '95's have shorter gears.
They don't, all US 993 from '95-98 have the same gearing in their g50/20 transmissions, there were a few internal changes, but not in gearing.

RoW '94-96 used a g50/21 trans that was geared lower in all gears except 1st, from '97 the Row got the /20 too

the RS models of course got much better trans than the /20 or /21.
Old 07-15-2009, 06:54 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Robin 993DX
RS heater bypass.....

There are two function to the blower fan on the left side. (1). To give a boost to the heater, more air flow through the heat exchanger besides just from the engine cooling fan. (2). To cool off the cylinder head after shut down to prevent heat soak.

I would still prefer to have the cooling off function for the engine.
I too would like to hear more thoughts on this..... I keep hearing folks say the fan is used for post shutdown cooling.... But I'm not sure I get it...

From what I see, it can only move air from the cavity above the cylinders and blow it across the headers..... For the life of me I don’t see how that’s going to do any substantial cooling of the heads/cylinders.... 99% of the incoming air is coming through the now stopped main fan and only a very small % coming up through the heads/cylinders.... (someone once related something like this to an asthmatic blowing through a cocktail straw)

All that being said, I guess there is some small value in cooling the headers so that heat does not propagate back to the heads, but even that is a stretch....

What am I missing here?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
Guess my invite was lost at the USPS?
I told the KIM about it on Facebook last week. Apparently you two have some communication issues....

Andreas
Old 07-15-2009, 09:46 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
What am I missing here?

Andreas
Old 07-15-2009, 10:29 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In the FWIW department...

When dropping the engine/trans (and inserting) I like to detach the throttle cable as an intermedaite step. There are a couple of things to do when the lump is partially down and that is one of them.

On a VR car when it is in situ, the throttle cable is kind of a PITA

Neat thread. Covers a lot of ground

Quick Reply: I love my underpowered '95!