Sponsored by:

My car on ebay 96 C4S

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 11:19 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kcreager1
It needs to be repaired. The shame of it is that knowing that you have to do all this work, if I were keeping the car, I would make some upgrades while in there. Incrementally it is little cost, but since I am not keeping it, I am not inclined to pay for the upgrades.

The perfect situation is someone who would like the 3.8, other rods, etc, buying for a discount and putting the upgrades in. They would pay more than the $6-8K repair bill I am looking at, but they would also get a lot more car out of it. I, of course, would sell at a discount to what I was looking at before.

I have had a couple of interested parties suggest this, but it si not easy to put together on short notice. We will see, I hope to have a decision monday.
I'd try that angle.....if you find an enthusiast buyer, they might want to do exactly that (upgrades/mods). And they can get it done at the shop of their choice AND they get to keep any warranty that is given with the rebuild work. Not all "warranties" convey on sale....make sure you shop will do that!

And....if you pump more $$$ into it, wouldn't that mean you should just keep it....
Old 07-17-2009, 12:00 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of integrity there.

Whoever buys this car, whether 'as is' or fixed, will obviously have a good experience with the seller.

I really respect you for handling it like this. I think it is how most of the rest of us would do it, but we are still in the minority.

Best of luck.

chuck
Old 07-17-2009, 08:28 AM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 82 Posts

Wow, someone who values integrity over money. Welcome to an ever shrinking fraternity.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Bravo, GL with your sale
Old 07-31-2009, 11:17 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

News from the mechanic -

Engine dropped, little bit of good news. Crank and all rods are great - just a bearing going out. This means a less costly fix - in or around $4500 rather than 6-8K. Spending $4500 this way is no fun, but when I thought it was more before, this is a little bit of sunshine.

The car will be fixed much faster - next week it should be done. I am going to put some miles on it when it is finished and if all is well sell shortly thereafter.

Will post link when it is back on Ebay....
Old 08-17-2009, 12:04 PM
Tim Wasmer
Race Car

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Congratulations on the sale. Where did it go?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:53 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

what a good looking car!
Old 08-20-2009, 08:08 AM
Tango635
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice looking car, I would say one of the best 993s.

Just wondering if the shop came up with a root cause for the bearing failure? Were all bearings in similar condition or was it just one? Determining root cause is important. In this case, I would think the shop should check out the complete lubrication system to make sure that all components are performing as they should. Seems odd that a bearing would fail given your relatively low mileage.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:40 PM
alpinadvl
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kcreager1
.... I would have felt terrible if I had heard that the new owner had issues in the next year. I wish that this problem had not occurred, and on my mileage car, I think it should not have, but whats a guy to do? I found out a long time ago that it is always easier to do what is right in the long run......
let me know if you have other 993's for sale in the future (When I will be more ready for them).

Not that many people that would specifically write that they "would feel bad" if something they sold happened to a new owner of a vehicle you sold them. (I am of the same attitude).

Integrity is not as common as one might think.

alf

Quick Reply: My car on ebay 96 C4S