Sponsored by:

Installed my new subwoofers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 12:28 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed my new subwoofers

I installed my Rod Birch rear subwoofers today (Car Audio Innovations) I'd post pics but I ordered the wrong carpet color and am awaiting correct carpet (my fault). Here is a link http://www.caraudioinnovations.com/porsche.htm

All I wanted was some decent bass for classic rock and FM radio. I don't listen to very loud pounding music like some of the kids today. I have read many posts here about improving the sound in our cars. Some have opted for better 4x6 or 5x7 rears, portable subs on the rear floor, subs mounted in the rear seat backs, etc. I tried JL 5x7s in the rear deck and they helped but the sounds was still thin so I opted for Rod's 8 inch JL 8V1 8 ohm subs and enclosures and bridged 2 channels in the amp. I could have spent more on the speakers but I wanted to run them off of my existing PPI 4 channel amp. I'm very happy with the sound now. I can feel the kick drum in my back now and the bass is great. I do have some decent but old A/D/I 6.5's in the doors and the JL 5x7s do help fill out the sound. The JLs run off of deck power (Alpine CDA-9886). The install was pretty easy although I probably spent the best part of a day removing seats and running new wiring. I used my new Bendpak 4 post lift to get the car to a good working height for this job.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:50 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Matt,

I am sure getting a sub in the back helps out a good bit:-)

I have been thinking about building a sub Box and was looking at how Rod was doing his. From the photos I have found it looks like it is just a panel and it uses the foot well for the back of the enclosure. If so did you do any thing to make it air tight. Also how dose it get attached to the car, do you have to screw into the 993?

thanks for any info
Old 07-13-2009, 11:19 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sub enclosures are just panels. He supplies some sort of cotton looking material to put behind them. The enclosure has brackets and it just screws to the floor/back seat bulkhead. I doubt they could be made to be totally airtight. The other option would be to build a box. I would think fiberglass would be the best considering the shape of the rear foot well.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:11 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info

The cotton stuff is Poly-Fil it makes the sub behave as if it was in a larger volume. I was thinking about glassing the foot well but that stuff smells so bad, I would have to do it when the kids go to the beach for the day.

Originally Posted by matt777
The sub enclosures are just panels. He supplies some sort of cotton looking material to put behind them. The enclosure has brackets and it just screws to the floor/back seat bulkhead. I doubt they could be made to be totally airtight. The other option would be to build a box. I would think fiberglass would be the best considering the shape of the rear foot well.

Last edited by SuperUser; 07-13-2009 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:14 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I just had my Rod Birch sub enclosures installed (after 4 years!). I'll report back about sound quality, etc.
They aren't true "enclosures" as noted, and that is PolyFil (?sp?) that was included.
The design is such that IB (infinite baffle) speakers work the "best" in that situation.

Quick Reply: Installed my new subwoofers