Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automated Car Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:49 AM
Shake
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These cars are designed to run in some pretty extreme climates, and weather conditions, I seriously doubt 60 seconds in a car wash could be that bad. But hey, to each his own right?

P.S. -> The cartoon characters are from Aqua Teen Hunger Force, I photoshopped them in to my car
Old 07-08-2009, 08:44 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Okay guys, my big question is do you think the forced water of the auto car wash might hurt the engine? I'm afraid to even aim the hose anywhere near the louvres (spelling?) for fear that I'll damage something. I'm just saying, if I'm on the road somewhere, is it SAFE to use the auto car wash? I was hoping to go up to Deal's Gap in September. You just KNOW the car will have tons of buggies on it.

Alas, I've set the alarm clock an hour early to wash the beautiful blue beast in the driveway. I'm sure he will enjoy his visit to the 'day spa.' Maybe I will even clean his 'fur' too.
Deal's Gap (Tail of the Dragon) still has construction going on as they put paved pullouts on the sides. We were there last week and they still have a little bit of work left. You just can't go too fast or you will run over one of the DOT guys holding a 'slow' or 'stop' sign around one of the corners. September should be good if you stick with your travel plans. We also didn't see one police car the entire trip BOTH ways. We were there on a Wednesday.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:17 AM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

When I first bought my Audi allroad-took it thru a local car wash-it spotted all the Aluminum exterior parts-Audi did replace all the parts-free of charge but I will never be that lazy. Your car is worth a hand wash every time. My 993 has always been hand washed and waxed-hence a 15 year old excellent paint exterior-plus a nice garage to go to sleep at night.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:41 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I try to drive my car as long in the fall as possible (until the salt comes out) before putting it to sleep for the winter. It is usually cold enough in the last few weeks that we have to drain the outside pipes so for those last few washes, I run through a touchless which, while not perfect, does a decent job. Before I lowered the car, I ran it through a local automated wash that has given good service for our other cars. When possible, though, hand washing is preferred.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:01 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay, you all . . . I just washed the car. Now I am going to apply the first coat of polish and wait for a while (being as it's humid, it takes longer for it to dry). Then later I'll probably add a second polish coat, just for torture . . . err . . . just for good measure, then I'll put the wax coat on. While that's drying I think I'll shampoo the carpets, as I bet they've never been done. I have the cup rims so they should be easy to clean. I will post pics later, after I lose ten or so pounds of water weight in the garage.

Thanks for all of the advice!
Old 07-08-2009, 12:32 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

aside from the possible damage to the paint, you guys are over thinking this miserably. The car can go through an automated car wash a thousand times and there should be no damage to your engine.

I tend not to use them, but if I needed a clean car and really didn't feel like handwashing, I'd use one.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:40 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 426 Posts

I used to go to a automated car wash in late fall (when it was a bit chilly to do it outside) where the car was stationary and the water jets circled the car. It did a pretty good job with no ill effects. Unfortunately that car wash was razed and replaced with a bank.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Be gentle or genteel

I assume we are talking about touch-less only, cannot imagine using a brush / mop auto car wash ever on a 993. And if you are asking (in the 993 forum), then concourse qualities are off the table too.

To release the dirt in the touch-less car washes, they use some strong solvents that will weaken / remove the wax too. So best to avoid if possible on a 993 or any car you really care about.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:39 AM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Don't do it....... :-)
Old 07-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Well folks, I washed, waxed, shampooed, treated the leather, polished the rims, and Blupurr looked GREAT yesterday. Then early this AM we got just enough rain to make it look like crud again. I can't win! Ha! I'll post some pics later. Right now I'm off to get a massage. I need one after all that work!

Quick Reply: Automated Car Wash?