Automated Car Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:45 PM
Bonster
Moderator and 993 whisperer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Automated Car Wash?

Here's my stupid question of the month for your entertainment. Has anyone ever used one of those automated car washes in their 993s? I'm afraid to as I don't know what it will do to the engine. Being a lazy sort, it would be great on a hot day to just use one, but in addition to possibly damaging the engine, the paint probably would not be happy either. Thoughts? Am I right, or just paranoid?

On another note . . . anyone wanna wash my car? HA!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:03 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bonni, You disappoint me. Don't be so lazy, I know it's hot and miserable out, but get out there and wash your f*cking car! Read my lips...NO automated car washes.

P.s. bring it here and I'll wash it for ya... if I can drive it for a day.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:07 PM
sptschoice
Pro

those automatic car wash are a waste of time
Old 07-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay, already I gather that I was right in that the auto car washes are not the way to go. And yes, Matt, it has been hot! But today we had a nice breeze and it is cooler finally -- hopefully that'll head down your way. I think I'll get up around six in the morning to wash the car, still. Lol.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Shake
Instructor

I use Duckies to wash mine (full service car wash), guess I'm a bad boy No problems yet!
Old 07-07-2009, 08:46 PM
blitz928
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Okay, already I gather that I was right in that the auto car washes are not the way to go. And yes, Matt, it has been hot! But today we had a nice breeze and it is cooler finally -- hopefully that'll head down your way. I think I'll get up around six in the morning to wash the car, still. Lol.
That's my Sunday morning routine, up at 5;30 am to wash the car, because by 9 am it's too hot. Even in the morning I'll wash the car in the driveway and then pull it inside the a garage to dry and detail. I have a huge shop fan that is on the opposite end of the garage to make it tolerable to work in the summer. I work outside most of the day,so I hate having to be hot and miserable in my "leisure" time.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

Okay guys, my big question is do you think the forced water of the auto car wash might hurt the engine? I'm afraid to even aim the hose anywhere near the louvres (spelling?) for fear that I'll damage something. I'm just saying, if I'm on the road somewhere, is it SAFE to use the auto car wash? I was hoping to go up to Deal's Gap in September. You just KNOW the car will have tons of buggies on it.

Alas, I've set the alarm clock an hour early to wash the beautiful blue beast in the driveway. I'm sure he will enjoy his visit to the 'day spa.' Maybe I will even clean his 'fur' too.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:54 PM
Bonster
Lifetime Rennlist

PS: Shake . . . dunno what cartoon your avatar is from, but that's hilarious.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:03 PM
cy7878
Instructor

I decided after years of going to car washes to hand wash the 993 because I fear:

1. Scuffing the rims
2. the staggered tire setup can't be good for the rail
3. I think my trunk seals leak and water will get into the trunk under pressure
4. the immobilizer will be too tricky for the car wash guys to figure out

Besides, the 993 is such a small car, hand washing really doesn't take more than 20 minutes anyways. Whereas my daily driver gets the free wash whenever I take it in to the dealer for service (once every 2 months...)
Old 07-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Bonni as others have mentioned, the drive through high pressure washes are a complete waste of time. A drive thru high pressure wash will result in one of two things, either the wash solution will be too weak and it will leave a film of dirt on the car or it will be too strong and strip the wax off the paint. Either way your car will be worse off. Get the proper cleaning tools and you can wash the car in a very short period of time with excellent results.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:35 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Bonster
Okay guys, my big question is do you think the forced water of the auto car wash might hurt the engine? I'm afraid to even aim the hose anywhere near the louvres (spelling?) for fear that I'll damage something. I'm just saying, if I'm on the road somewhere, is it SAFE to use the auto car wash

I have a very hard time believing that a car wash would hurt anything in the engine compartment. The water comes out at very high pressure, but it loses its oomph pretty quickly.
Old 07-08-2009, 01:46 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

These automated car washes are designed for the average American car,--like a Ford Taurus. You run some risk to the rims, mirrors, and other things they didn't think of. If you must,--get a kid in the neighborhood to hand wash it!
Old 07-08-2009, 01:57 AM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 910 Likes on 548 Posts
Default GD loves to wash cars and go to the mall

Been hand washing some variant of 911 for 20 years, and hope to continue for another 20. Just in case, been training our 13 year old grand daughter on the lesser MB and Lexus before turning her loose on the TT. Wife says $9 including wheels is overpaying. I say it's about the same cost and better result than the automated car wash.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:12 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

You are better off, if on the road, buying an inexpensive wash mitt and doing a quick wash at the coin op. At least then you know what you are using is clean and doesn't have the unwashed masses on it.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:41 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But what about the impact of the water on a still-hot engine block?

Quick Reply: Automated Car Wash?