Sponsored by:

Hardware and setup question for you track types

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what the KW v3 cost but the KW competition 3-way adjustable are $10k (without installation). It's a question of how much you want to pay and what you perceive as the benefit (not to mention that a 3-way adjustable shock is a lot of adjustability for a novice to intermediate to deal with).

The advantage of the JIC-Cross or PSS-9/10 is the price. The performance benefit is very good for the price. Sure you could spend a lot more but why?
Old 07-07-2009, 10:20 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by helmet155
There is good reports of KW Variant 3 on this site, is that not an option?
I had KW Var3s on my Dodge SRT-4 and they were pretty good in that application. My concern was that you had to lower quite a bit to make sure you were not pre-loading the spring. If you then went and corner balanced, it seems to me that you were altering the preload on each corner at the same time.

I have to admit that I am curious about the KWs though particularly because of the option to lift the nose to go over speed bumps and such. It was an expensive option, but, very useful for a daily driver.

Bob
Old 07-08-2009, 01:38 AM
helmet155
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price-wise the KW Variant 3 is in the PSS10 range...depending on vendor YMMV...
Old 07-08-2009, 11:56 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I thought about upgrading to double or triple adjustables, but in truth I don't think I have the arsometer skills to fine tune the adjustments. It takes a lot of work and expertise to get a suspension like that dialed in, and I don't think I have the experience (or $$$ to pay someone else to do it for me). The recommendations to jump right to a full race set-up may make financial sense, but does not necessarily make sense in terms of your experiene level and learning process. I'm doing just fine with the single adjustable JICs (8/11), and I wouldn't say that my track habit is "casual". I also dont' find the JICs to be that bad on the street (granted I wouldn't use them on a daily driver)
Old 07-08-2009, 12:35 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by ninjabones
I thought about upgrading to double or triple adjustables, but in truth I don't think I have the arsometer skills to fine tune the adjustments. It takes a lot of work and expertise to get a suspension like that dialed in, and I don't think I have the experience (or $$$ to pay someone else to do it for me). The recommendations to jump right to a full race set-up may make financial sense, but does not necessarily make sense in terms of your experiene level and learning process. I'm doing just fine with the single adjustable JICs (8/11), and I wouldn't say that my track habit is "casual". I also dont' find the JICs to be that bad on the street (granted I wouldn't use them on a daily driver)
+1 along with all the other good advice here.

I'm running JIC 8/11 and just about to change to 10/14, along with....

- RS adjustable sways
- RS -1.5cm ride height
- 1 deg rake
- fairly aggressive alignment settings (I can post specs as a reference point if interested)

At this stage, adjusting the JICs, sways, and tire pressures, along with appropriate use of the left foot on the brake is paying sufficient dividends at my skill level. As with most sports, hardware purchases often run ahead of skill development.... JMHO, but I think there are a lot of underutilized Motons out there .

Quick Reply: Hardware and setup question for you track types