Downsides to a repaint?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:01 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Downsides to a repaint?

Assuming a repaint in the same color isn't covering up something bad, other than some purists wanting original paint, what are the real world disadvantages?

Advantage = better looking car, obviously. But what are the disadvantes? Is the paint less durable than factory, etc?
Old 07-03-2009, 07:33 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Assuming a repaint in the same color isn't covering up something bad, other than some purists wanting original paint, what are the real world disadvantages?

Advantage = better looking car, obviously. But what are the disadvantes? Is the paint less durable than factory, etc?
Are you repainting the entire car you already own or is it a car you're looking at? If it's already yours, document in photos the before condition so that if you ever sell, you can show that it wasn't because of a wreck.

If you're considering repainting part of the car, obviously matching is a concern.

It may be splitting hairs, but I don't think a repaint can ever be as good as original paint. During the factory process, I believe the paint is baked on creating a harder finish. Repaints can't do that otherwise all the plastic parts will melt.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I did a repaint on the car in my Avatar. 2 choices (at least on mine)

1. Single stage paint 14 years old showing its age. Hood and fender chips, some dings and sratches. Nothing super huge, I could have left it alone or do a repaint.

2. Live with all the imperfections and be happy with the originality. IMHO I like fresh paint it makes a world of difference on a car, and in my case the car had 95K and was 14 years old. Now people ask if it's new. All things wear in time. This is my opinion only, if a car is done correctly it may not add value, but I do not think it wil kill the value either if it is properly documented.

Mike
Old 07-03-2009, 08:32 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything depends on the quality of the job. Everything. A **** paint job will ruin the car's value. A high-quality, meticulous one will improve its value, assuming you're starting with a 993 with tired paint.
Old 07-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
Everything depends on the quality of the job. Everything. A **** paint job will ruin the car's value. A high-quality, meticulous one will improve its value, assuming you're starting with a 993 with tired paint.
Well said Noah. Quality, quality, quality.

Mike
Old 07-03-2009, 08:50 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Repaint Impact on Value

Noah summarized it well. Also, a high quality repaint is not inexpensive - full disassemby, glass out, etc. Also, old rubber trim will look soft next to perfect new paint, so the "while-you-are-in-there" costs can escalate. Further, I have seen many good body shops do an occasional crappy job for various reasons. Also have also met some owners who thought they got a great job but to the trained eye, it was just an average paint job. Sometimes too, the new paint and fillers do not age well and deteriorate over time (lifting, crazing, dullness, etc.). If it is at all possible to professionally detail and touch up the factory paint and achieve a satisfactory result, that's the way to go.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:09 PM
nicknack
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just don't paint it smurf blue
Old 07-03-2009, 10:56 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the shop uses Glasurit and they can bake the finish you should be good. A shop that I go to says they can get very - very close to factory but not 100%. Also another sign of a so-so paint job is the lack of the orange peel. I guess it takes experience to get the right finish.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:38 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

in a nut shell: once you repaint your car it is no longer original paint. (Make sure you get photos before and after to document in order to help resale as most time a repainted car takes away value because of questionable unknown.)

buyers tend to be scared off because repaint sometimes means either probable hard life or damage repair.

Repaints can be questionable because of the "quailty" of the work. Repaints open so many doors to resale questionability which is the nature of the game unfortunitly.

I have a car now that requires cosmetic paintwork but alas, i know it will kill resale no matter how good it looks. So what do i do? spend the money to enjoy it for myself and potential loose on resale, or drive it as is and sell it as rough paint down the road?

hmmmmn.

Quick Reply: Downsides to a repaint?