Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone dealt w/purchasing a Porsche from Richard Sloan in CT?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 04:41 PM
sleshnyc
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I had a horrific experience with him years ago buying an 83 SC. all kinds of issues, he had no clue. I should have known when picking up the car and asking him what the various ***** did and he didn't know. He's a broker, he's not honest and his prices are ridiculous. I've bought 2 other cars since him, with no issues. But i would never do business with him.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:02 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

He didn't know what the ***** did? Really? That is not good. He's kind of ... in that business!
Old 11-17-2016, 05:34 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by sleshnyc
He's a broker, he's not honest and his prices are ridiculous. I've bought 2 other cars since him, with no issues. But i would never do business with him.
Well, he's still dead, so you don't need to worry about doing business with him anymore
Old 11-17-2016, 05:44 PM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

His son runs it now...hey I've bought plenty of new cars and watches, etc, where they had no idea what stuff does.

They are all just salespeople
Old 11-17-2016, 09:08 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Well, he's still dead, so you don't need to worry about doing business with him anymore
Classy...
Old 11-17-2016, 09:14 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Brewmeister
Classy...
My apologies to you; didn't mean to offend you if you were friends with him
Old 11-18-2016, 12:46 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

^No problem. My memories of Richard are better than others, I guess. Bought my first Porsche (1985 911) through Richard. If the ***** that Richard couldn't explain had anything to do with the climate control I can understand. I have owned an 85, still own an 88 cab and still cannot get those damn sliding controls to do what I want. Those era 911''s could have the fresh air vents open, the AC on, and the heat on, all at the same time!
Old 11-18-2016, 09:04 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 11-18-2016, 12:16 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Any dealer is only as good as the quality of the cars he takes in. In our case these cars have 20 years of history before he received them. It is always buyer beware. Buying a car with a person at your side who knows how the car should drive and feel with a quick inspection under the car will catch most major component issues with the engine/drive line/suspension. Only a good body shop guy can tell you in most cases if a car has been wrecked and has structural involvement. All the little stuff like odometer gears and oxygen sensors can only be proven to be replaced if a receipt exists and so, in most cases, can't be part of your decision. Make sure you run the OBDC codes as many codes do not turn on the light, things like HVAC servo failures, quite common and $200+/- a pop to fix. Little stuff that may not cause one to not buy a car but if, in my case, I know of these issues ahead of time they will not aggravate me after the sale.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:26 PM
RennVisitor2016
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was motivated to register just to take issue with this post.

Absolutely disgusting and classless to make light of his passing like this.
No matter what any of your experiences buying from him were, the truth of the matter is he was a good person, a good friend, and a good family man who died too soon. I doubt you know the suffering he and his family went through before his passing, or else you might have thought a bit more before typing.

Even though I never bought a car from him, he was always eager to share his passion with me and my family. A lot of great memories visiting his shop and talking with him.

RIP
Old 11-20-2016, 03:41 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RennVisitor2016
Was motivated to register just to take issue with this post.

Absolutely disgusting and classless to make light of his passing like this.
No matter what any of your experiences buying from him were, the truth of the matter is he was a good person, a good friend, and a good family man who died too soon. I doubt you know the suffering he and his family went through before his passing, or else you might have thought a bit more before typing.

Even though I never bought a car from him, he was always eager to share his passion with me and my family. A lot of great memories visiting his shop and talking with him.

RIP
Yes, you're correct and I should have typed my response with more thought.

My intent was to point out that airing grievances of any kind about a man who isn't even alive any longer was rather pointless. I absolutely could have worded this far more eloquently.

Again, my sincere apologies to any and all who took any offense.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:18 AM
carguy19
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a real jerk off thing to say. Really nice thing to laugh at. How would you feel if that comment was made about your Dad?

Many people here were friends with Richard and had a great relationship with him and have a relationship with his son Brett. (Brett is on these forums sometimes too, so he will be really happy to read your ignorant and heartless comment) why don't you delete that. If I was a moderator on this forum I'd ban you for posting something like that.

Richard was in the business to make money like anyone His asking prices are just that. . But if you liked a car he had, he would work with you and be fair and share the data of the pricing of his car to be fair. I've had nothing but pleasurable dealings with him and have sent him over 10 customers over the last 5-10 years, all of whom are very happy with their dealings.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:26 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Folks, goofball apologized for his tasteless comment and clearly recognizes that it was inappropriate. Although the comment should have never been posted, goofball was mature enough to express sincere regret.

Let's move on, please.

Quick Reply: Has anyone dealt w/purchasing a Porsche from Richard Sloan in CT?