993 Forum 1995-1998

CV axle problem?

Old 06-30-2009, 11:18 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV axle problem?

Has anyone experienced this?

NA axle replaced w/Turbo axle new OE part in 2007 and has about 2500 track only miles now. Vent hole spewing grease all over the wheel. No funny noises or obvious abnormalities, no excessive play, or binding on ispection of axle, or bearing. Axle boots look new no leaks. Drivers side only. I have never seen this. I am told this is not unusual??? Could this be a problem with cv joint heating up too much? Advice? Ignore and just clean off.... Of course this will stop when there is no more grease left in the joint! Should I take off boot and repack cv joint now?

Thanks
Attached Images  

Last edited by mbb993; 06-30-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:02 AM
mbb993
Instructor

bump
I will cross post on DE/racing thread if no ideas here.
Thanks.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:55 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The grease used in the replacement axles is not durable for track usage. What you see is not uncommon on any car that is tracked heavily. What you are seeing is the grease exceeding its rated temperature and once you do this, your CV joint will show wear on the races if you were to take it apart. I usually buy a new axle, take it apart, replace the grease with racing grease from Krytox or Neo and reassemble the axle. I've had good success with that method and joint longevity.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:59 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geoffrey beat me to it. The stock grease can last as little as 4 hours of track use before it fails and you end up ruining your CV. I now have new axles rebuilt and the grease replaced before use and always carry a spare set. If your car is lowered substantially and the axle geometry gets off, it gets exponentially worse dye to the additional heat generated.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:06 PM
mbb993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
The grease used in the replacement axles is not durable for track usage. What you see is not uncommon on any car that is tracked heavily. What you are seeing is the grease exceeding its rated temperature and once you do this, your CV joint will show wear on the races if you were to take it apart. I usually buy a new axle, take it apart, replace the grease with racing grease from Krytox or Neo and reassemble the axle. I've had good success with that method and joint longevity.
Sounds like time to take em down, inspect and repack if they look OK.

Originally Posted by Tom W
Geoffrey beat me to it. The stock grease can last as little as 4 hours of track use before it fails and you end up ruining your CV. I now have new axles rebuilt and the grease replaced before use and always carry a spare set. If your car is lowered substantially and the axle geometry gets off, it gets exponentially worse dye to the additional heat generated.
Yes car is lowered to about RS height so there is some extra angle there over stock height. Makes sense.

Thanks for the help guys. Time for me to get to work!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:57 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These are interesting comments. I don't race but I do track my 4S and have never had any issues with CV grease (I can't seem to keep inner CV bolts in the joint on the drivers side). I use the standard issue German CV grease that I get with replacement boots.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have you ever taken the CV apart and looked for how the grease has held up? In my case, after 5 hours there was no 'grease' left, just some dried, cracked crud. My car is lowered and has a less than optimum axle angle (not 90 degrees) and this likely leads to more than normal heating/wear. We have tried to address this without compromising the roll center/geometry and it has helped. My axles are now lubricated with Krytox to get the most life out of them. You should try Neo first if you have this problem though, it's cheaper and a lot less toxic.

No offense, but a 4-hour enduro or 30-minute sprint race race is likely a bit harder on the car than a 30 minute-DE. While we might not see issues in a DE where the car might not be pushed as hard, it is an issue when racing. The other 964's and cars using the same axles in my race class have similar problems.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:27 AM
mbb993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom W
Have you ever taken the CV apart and looked for how the grease has held up? In my case, after 5 hours there was no 'grease' left, just some dried, cracked crud. My car is lowered and has a less than optimum axle angle (not 90 degrees) and this likely leads to more than normal heating/wear. We have tried to address this without compromising the roll center/geometry and it has helped. My axles are now lubricated with Krytox to get the most life out of them. You should try Neo first if you have this problem though, it's cheaper and a lot less toxic.

No offense, but a 4-hour enduro or 30-minute sprint race race is likely a bit harder on the car than a 30 minute-DE. While we might not see issues in a DE where the car might not be pushed as hard, it is an issue when racing. The other 964's and cars using the same axles in my race class have similar problems.
Correct me if I am misinformed. I can't remember for sure since I wasn't looking for it at the time and don't have my old axles around here to check. I was told that the standard NA axle may not have a vent hole? Perhaps one of you can confirm this?
If this is the case it's possible that one would be unaware of this problem since there is no way for the broken down grease to be expelled unless the rubber boot were compromised.

Last edited by mbb993; 07-02-2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:16 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by mbb993
I was told that the standard NA axle may not have a vent hole? Perhaps one of you can confirm this?
I think that is correct.

Andreas
Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

From memory, yes, just the Turbo driveflanges have vents. Again, purely from memory.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:58 AM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

They could have been changed, but my 95 NA has vent holes.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:11 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't comment on a true venting, but my axles are hollow.

Tom, I'll agree on the enduro......but you've never seen me drive a DE I'm no back marker I would think with the heat of the south, and the pounding the car gets, if the grease was to completely break down, it would in that amount of time and under those conditions. I'm running RS height +/- (FWIW)

Having worked for a CV rebuilder many years ago, we saw axles come in all the time with "liquid" for grease. Occasionally we saw "chunks" but thats usually due to water infiltrating the boot and remaining there, which solidified the grease.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CV axle problem?