993 Forum 1995-1998

A few laps around Oregon Raceway Park

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:14 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default A few laps around Oregon Raceway Park

Thought I would post a few videos and some shots of a recent weekend at Oregon's latest and greatest tracks. I drove down from Seattle with a fellow Rennlister, Michal (mcpiaseczny)

We did a one day lapping event and which equated to 120+ track miles or so. We drove the cars hard all day and they performed as expected. (Except for the gearing.) Second to Third is just all wrong on these cars. Someday I'll fix that. The track is amazing though and it's only halfway complete. 45 feet wide everywhere and they are building another 2.2 mile high speed circuit that will be attached to this one. The best part is there is nothing to hit if you mess up. It's amazing how much more fun a track is when you don't have to worry about hitting a wall.

Dan following Mike
http://www.vimeo.com/4956236

Mike following Dan
http://www.vimeo.com/4955816

Mike forgot his tent which resulted in nice wakeup call at 5am. A little rain didn't dampen our mood.

You can't see but the track wraps around the barn.

Old 06-24-2009, 11:28 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

Excellent time!
thanks for posting
Old 06-24-2009, 11:53 PM
C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol - fantastic video and photos. I love Mike's fist pump at ~1:46 when he's following you. Hilarious.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:50 AM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a really good time. That fist pump lap was probably the funnest all day for me. Chasing a fellow 993, passing an Atom (even if it was crippled) and then sliding out on that uphill right hander are the stuff dreams are made of!

Next time we'll have to bring an even bigger 993 posse.

Thanks for posting, Dan! I didn't salvage a single one of my photos. All were over/under exposed. Grrr for leaving the camera in bracketing mode and not noticing.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:51 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can't view the videos now because of a slow wireless connection, but will definetely check it out tomorrow. I was at a DE in Kent (Pacific Raceways) last month and someone told me of a new track in the middle of Oregon. Where is the new track and is it true that part of the road to the track is down a gravel road?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:57 AM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Originally Posted by 95C4VanIsle
Where is the new track and is it true that part of the road to the track is down a gravel road?
See http://www.oregonraceway.com/ for maps and such.

Yes, there were 2 miles of gravel access road when we were there. The county is in the process of paving it and the gravel was graded and level. I don't know much about road building but it seemed ready for the blacktop. For all I know they paved it by now.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:59 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great stuff- thanks for posting!
Old 06-25-2009, 02:21 AM
95C4VanIsle
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcpiaseczny
See http://www.oregonraceway.com/ for maps and such.

Yes, there were 2 miles of gravel access road when we were there. The county is in the process of paving it and the gravel was graded and level. I don't know much about road building but it seemed ready for the blacktop. For all I know they paved it by now.
Thanks for the link and the information. Looking forward to seeing the videos tomorrow.

Oregon isn't that far from Vancouver Island. Now I just have to convince the wife that all of our trips down the Oregon coast for her to take pictures should be rewarded with a trip down the Columbia River Gorge to the Raceways with the Porsche.

Nice pic's BTW.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 AM
bluejam
Rennlist Member

I am not sure, but I think it did get paved.
About your photos...I like two a lot. The front of a 993 with the tarmac in the background and the other with the bluish outline of the 993. I would clone out the sky to make it completely black with just the silloette(sp?) of the car. I'll try it when I get home and post.
Next time you guys go out there, let me know so I can join in the fun.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

What were your impressions of the track? I really wanted to head down, but I don't think the track is ready yet. The lack of shade, facilities, & gas doesn't make me happy.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:40 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

What were your impressions of the track? I really wanted to head down, but I don't think the track is ready yet. The lack of shade, facilities, & gas doesn't make me happy.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:22 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by daltvater
Thought I would post a few videos and some shots of a recent weekend at Oregon's latest and greatest tracks. I drove down from Seattle with a fellow Rennlister, Michal (mcpiaseczny)

<snip>
]
very nice, thanks for sharing.
i'll keep the spirit going and include a photo of me snarfling up a couple of Turbo's in my "mere" NA car at a recent DE in Fontana.

be safe

Craig
Attached Images  
Old 06-25-2009, 02:53 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Oh it's ready, (I consider asphalt laid down ready though There was plenty of shade from tents people set up, restrooms, local vendors selling food etc. Lots of visible corner worker stations, FIA curbs are in now (I think). There was that gravel road on the way in but if you take it slow and don't mind a little dirt on your car then its a non issue. We brought gas with us but didn't come close to needed it. I think we averaged about 10-15 MPG on the track. My impression of the track was so good I doubt I'll ever go back to Pacific or PIR again. Very technical, it will take a long time to learn. Lots of blind corners and hills make it very tricky. My car was in between gears a lot which will be fun to figure out. The half-pipe was the best part by far. My brain could not comprehend the car sticking..but it did. I wasn't anywhere near 100% on that corner but felt like my speed was double compared to a flat corner. I bet I laughed to myself every time through that section. Literally the most fun I've had in a car.

Screw the luxuries and get down there. I spoke to one of the owners, great guy with a ton of stuff planned for the track. That said his plan will still take some time, it was good to be down there before the masses start taking all the track time! When they finish the high speed track a lap will be over 4.4 miles. We'll have our own mini Nuremberg ring.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:59 PM
penpen
Track Day

Originally Posted by daltvater
Oh it's ready, (I consider asphalt laid down ready though There was plenty of shade from tents people set up, restrooms, local vendors selling food etc. Lots of visible corner worker stations, FIA curbs are in now (I think). There was that gravel road on the way in but if you take it slow and don't mind a little dirt on your car then its a non issue. We brought gas with us but didn't come close to needed it. I think we averaged about 10-15 MPG on the track. My impression of the track was so good I doubt I'll ever go back to Pacific or PIR again. Very technical, it will take a long time to learn. Lots of blind corners and hills make it very tricky. My car was in between gears a lot which will be fun to figure out. The half-pipe was the best part by far. My brain could not comprehend the car sticking..but it did. I wasn't anywhere near 100% on that corner but felt like my speed was double compared to a flat corner. I bet I laughed to myself every time through that section. Literally the most fun I've had in a car.

Screw the luxuries and get down there. I spoke to one of the owners, great guy with a ton of stuff planned for the track. That said his plan will still take some time, it was good to be down there before the masses start taking all the track time! When they finish the high speed track a lap will be over 4.4 miles. We'll have our own mini Nuremberg ring.
ahhh, this makes me giddy to read!!! i can't stand PR and have been looking forward to this track opening up. i'm going to try to make it there aug 1/2nd on the motorsikkle, but have been jonesing to do a car track day for a while. not sure which car i'd take yet, if i still have my integra by then i will be whoopin' on that, since that is what she is set up for

keep us posted on when the next day is scheduled for. are they as **** as proformance about passengers, and how about instruction?
Old 06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

"We'll have our own mini Nuremberg ring."

Great straight-line nut i can't quite come up with the punch.(-%

tino

Quick Reply: A few laps around Oregon Raceway Park