whatyoutalknaboutwillis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can add me to list too.
Old 06-24-2009, 05:07 PM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The previous owner of my car included one of these and a full cover when I bought the car. I have never used it. I tried it out one night in the garage just to see how it would work, I remember thinking to myself that I could cover the whole car (and do) in much less time and effort than this interior cover thing.

I guess it could come in handy on a road trip due to it being less bulky than a full size, common car cover.

What I typically do when parked outside in the sun with the top down is fold my seats forward toward the dash and then put my windshield sunshade on the dash covering the dash and the tops of the seats. All that is left exposed to the sun is the lower back of the front seats, the rear carpet and a little of the rear seat bottom cushions that are exposed from under the windcreen.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Love mine. I bought one from performance products a couple of years ago (about $70.00 as I recall) and I leave it in the boot for use when I'm going into a store, parked in the hot sun a buddies house and other short term cover ups. Velcro straps hold it on. I switched to manual top operation a while ago and this makes the up/down thing less frequent.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:29 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default +1

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
I tried it out one night in the garage just to see how it would work, I remember thinking to myself that I could cover the whole car (and do) in much less time and effort than this interior cover thing
Similar experience: had the subject 'cockpit cover' & car cover. Typically less time to install larger car cover. Mostly negated need for interior cover.

One exception where it could prove more useful than full cover, since car cover + wind = micro scratches: if you're hyper-sensitive to that, the cockpit cover's a solution for interior protection that can't touch your paint.

Slightly OT: anyone found how to always use a car cover & never have micro-scratches, other than time-consuming nightly wax work or buffing?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:01 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I also use my cover when I park at work and the top is up. It keeps the bird crap and dust off the roof. Here are a couple more pictures of the SL. I bought mine form a Air force guy that brought it back from Germany. It has the european headlights.
Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2009, 01:13 AM
skywachr
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdmdriver
So no creasing along the folds of the canvas (or the clear plastic window) after the top has been down for extended periods of time.
I personally have been afraid to leave the top down overnight, but I would love to be able to put the boot on and leave it down for awhile.
Here's my mechanics take on the top down issue. I've been following it and it seems to prove true. He feels that the 993 tops are good for about 50 cycles (50 ups and 50 downs) of use before some sort of problem, however minor, crops up (cable adjustment or more, etc.) and feels that the top or window will not have any lasting creasing if not left down for greater than 2 weeks straight. So far it seems to be an accurate assessment. I'm amazed at the 2 year comments as I'm convinced that my car would show some creasing effects after that long a time frame.

Originally Posted by jimq
Here are a couple more pictures of the SL.
These shots could almost have been taken in my driveway. My white SL (blue top) is probably going to be sold in the next couple of months. I bought my 993 because my MBZ mechanic had moved to WA and I couldn't handle having to deal with someone else. I bought the 993 as a replacement and in my mind no one is good enough (meant in both ways) to buy the SL. Since then, the mechanic has come back from WA (leaving his girlfriend of many years there and has returned to AZ). Quite a dilemma. I now love the 993 more but am emotionally attached to the SL. Is there some kind of counselling you can get for this kind of thing?
Old 06-25-2009, 08:21 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by skywachr

These shots could almost have been taken in my driveway. My white SL (blue top) is probably going to be sold in the next couple of months. I bought my 993 because my MBZ mechanic had moved to WA and I couldn't handle having to deal with someone else. I bought the 993 as a replacement and in my mind no one is good enough (meant in both ways) to buy the SL. Since then, the mechanic has come back from WA (leaving his girlfriend of many years there and has returned to AZ). Quite a dilemma. I now love the 993 more but am emotionally attached to the SL. Is there some kind of counselling you can get for this kind of thing?
The short gearing of the 4 speed and tow truck like torque along with the school bus size steering wheel and the roar of the straight 6 engine at highway speed made it one of the most fun cars to drive I ever owned. For a solid heavy car with only 165 HP it still would get up and go. I replaced mine with the 996TT. I am sorry I sold it.
I did all my own wrenching on the car. Adjusting the mechanical fuel injection was always fun. Mine also had the blue top
Old 07-28-2009, 05:08 PM
ship4u
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DesertBighorn
I've been thinking of ordering one from these guys: http://www.autochic.com/porsche.html

-Doug
I purchased the outdoor interior cover for my 993 from autochic and it is fantastic--even better than I expected. http://www.autochic.com/porsche.html

It attaches in seconds and keeps the car cooler than with the top up. The nice thing is that it keeps the sun off the dashboard, the rag top and the seats. It allows air to circulate under it so the seats stay nice and cool. I keep one side of the velcro strap for the mirror attached so I can quickly orient the cover for installation. Very lightweight and compact, so it folds up tightly when not in use.

I prefer this to a full size cover because it is so easy to scratch the paint finish if there is any dirt on it or the car when you put the full cover on. Highly recommend....$59 and $11 shipping....well worth the $70.

Best regards,
Don
1995 c2 cab
Old 07-28-2009, 05:37 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Don - Did you miss the free shipping event through autochic? (See the "sticky" at the top of the 993 Forum.)
Old 07-28-2009, 05:43 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
. I have never used it. I tried it out one night in the garage just to see how it would work, I remember thinking to myself that I could cover the whole car (and do) in much less time and effort than this interior cover thing..
Bingo, it takes less than 45 seconds to put the top up. So why deal with other covers? Not sure I follow the logic on that...

Quick Reply: tonneau/sunshade for cabriolet