Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

681 miles since last years oil change... do i change it again?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 12:52 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
I run more miles per year than some of you drive your 993s.
Same here. And I might go through more chain lube on my bike than some of the cars too.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:02 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I asked this very question

On my recent April purchase from Holt Motorsports I asked this very question about changing the oil with low miles. My response back was "a waste of money". This is synthetic oil, not dino oil. Another year of low mileage driving will not damage your engine. I imagine the only exception would be seriously short and constant trips which doesn't permit the oil to get up to operating temps. How was your 700 miles accumulated?
Old 06-23-2009, 10:24 AM
zone5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CADguy
Do you mean two years for our 10+ year old 993s, or the new 997s?
Where did you get this information zone5?
For the 993s -- I got the info from my service advisor -- brought the car in for its annual at the dealership and was told it didn't need it for another year.

I figured, if the dealership was turning down work, it must be real. The SA told me it is a recent change from Porsche.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:17 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
I run more miles per year than some of you drive your 993s.
Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Same here. And I might go through more chain lube on my bike than some of the cars too.
Me three. I change my Asics every year. I used to log my mileage per pair, but figured a new pair every year would look better to a potential buyer if I ever wanted to sell my body.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:08 PM
CADguy
Instructor

Originally Posted by zone5
For the 993s -- I got the info from my service advisor -- brought the car in for its annual at the dealership and was told it didn't need it for another year.

I figured, if the dealership was turning down work, it must be real. The SA told me it is a recent change from Porsche.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, if a Porsche dealership is saying two years (if still under 15k miles), it should be realistic.
I just had my oil changed (switched to Redline), and was starting to get in a panic since it had been a little over a year and about 5k miles . The oil still looked pretty clean though.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:23 PM
striker27
Intermediate

I just do not understand the whole thing this is synthetic oil it does not break down sitting in a car!!! You are going to show the buyer that the oil has been changed religiously??? Who cares these cars are cheap now!!! If one is still pondering how to spend a mere $20k to $40k on a toy they should not even buy it!! This is a car like any used car you end up putting 20% into it when you buy plus consumables. Theses cars not something that should be considered a shrine!!!

Drain your oil and send it to me I will send you my address. I will not pay for it since you obvioudly just throw good money away anyways.... Please hurry I have 3 yrs on my cars oil and I paid over 175K when I bought the damn thing!! Sorry I would have been 145K in US dollars!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:29 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 329 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by striker27
I just do not understand the whole thing this is synthetic oil it does not break down sitting in a car!!! You are going to show the buyer that the oil has been changed religiously??? Who cares these cars are cheap now!!! If one is still pondering how to spend a mere $20k to $40k on a toy they should not even buy it!! This is a car like any used car you end up putting 20% into it when you buy plus consumables. Theses cars not something that should be considered a shrine!!!

Drain your oil and send it to me I will send you my address. I will not pay for it since you obvioudly just throw good money away anyways.... Please hurry I have 3 yrs on my cars oil and I paid over 175K when I bought the damn thing!! Sorry I would have been 145K in US dollars!!!

lol...
Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue is not with the oil breaking down but with the contaminants staying in contact with the metal parts all winter while it sits (like moisture). I doubt it's much of an issue with low miles on the oil and likely only something you would see over the long haul anyway. Changing just the oil would solve this problem as well as getting an oil sample analyzed.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:32 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I change it once a year. Its cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: 681 miles since last years oil change... do i change it again?