Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Coming to NY city over July 4th - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts
Default OT: Coming to NY city over July 4th - What to do?

My daughter just graduated from high school (with honors, AP course, scholarships..a hell of a lot smarter than me!), and I am taking the family to New York for a week to celebrate. This involves my wife, and my two daughters, 14 and 17. Luckily, we will be there over the July 4th weekend.

Its been about 10 years since I have been to the Big Apple, we are staying in Manhattan, and have all the usual tourist stuff lined up, as well as watching the fireworks on July 4th.

Anyone recommend some other interesting stuff that they typical tourist does not see that is worth trying? My youngest is a dancer with a passion (ballet, jaz, lyrical, musical theatre, you name it), and something along that slant would work. The graduate is a consumate story writer and reader, but also has a nerd-techie side going on, so even a visit to an Apple store would be a treat (we are just getting one in Vancouver...not ready yet).

We are taking them to Wicked (my youngest told me its mandatory) of course, so that should help a bit with the musicals, especially with the dancer.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-21-2009, 10:43 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Joyce Theater on 8th Ave is a great venue for dance. Most of the stuff on Broadway these days is crap, so Wicked is a pretty decent choice. They are reopening the crown on the Statue of Liberty, so that will be a zoo, but a little known, much faster, much cheaper ride is to just take the Staten Island Ferry round trip. You get really close to the statue just in the path it takes, and no lines. You just get off the ferry in SI and get right back on. John's Pizza in Times Square is a little nutty, but huge. The original on Bleeker is more authentic. Patsy's on 23rd or I forget the other famous place in NoLiTa. Celeste on about 84th & Amsterdam is great Italian, ask Carmine' to explain the cheese plate. You won't understand a word but he conveys his passion for cheese. Wander the streets of the West Village. Midsummer Night's Dance is usually I think Wed nights outside of Lincoln Center. You can pay to get inside the little fenced off area and get a lesson, or for free outside it. Program & timing varies, but check it out. Cheap tickets for shows at TKTS in Times Square, but luck of the draw. Great Greek food in Astoria, Queens, easy ride on N,W train. Little India on 6th street near 1st ave: Brickhouse Curry, home of supposably the hottest curry in NYC..regardless it is outstanding Indian food. Ask for Sati and tell him someone from the Curry Club sent you. For techie geek B&H photovideo on 33rd & 9th...but pay attention to Jewish holidays, plus they close early on Friday and closed on Saturdays. Washington Square Park cool for goofy hipster watching, Cafe Wha'? gets good music sometimes and I think lets youngin's in, but I'm not sure. Have to wander some galleries in Soho...all varied so can't recommend any in particular, Chinatown, but get off Canal Street quickly. If you want a great deal on gold/diamonds, Leon Zoland & Sons on 47th, ask for Yale & tell him I sent you. Tau in Midtown is farily touristy and not cheap, but for some reason I like it...30' Buddha is sort of cool. Museums of course, esp. Egyptian Room at the Met. Street fairs will be plentiful and for some reason are sort of fun. Music venues south of 14th street...some are early sometimes so might be able to take the kids. NYC Ballet might have their season then, I forget...you can get cheap seats last minute in the nosebleeds. Still very cool. If ABT (American Ballet Theater) is in session, they are amazing. Ollies Noodles nearby are yummy. Walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. Geek fest at J&R near the Manhattan side entrance.

Thank help?
Old 06-21-2009, 11:02 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Wow, thanks! I will print it out and try to sort out this great "density of information" with my wife.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-21-2009, 11:44 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Please don't tell my 7th grade English teacher about that paragraph.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:19 AM
Black993
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will be there at this time as well (2 thru 6th). Can't wait to go, my first time in NYC

Enjoy it Mike

Quick Reply: OT: Coming to NY city over July 4th - What to do?