Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Pollen filters - any harm in letting 'em die a slow natural death?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:21 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Pollen filters - any harm in letting 'em die a slow natural death?

I have almost 30K miles on the clock, and have never changed the pollen filters. Having read up on the DIY, I am not inclined to spend ANY time or money replacing them.

I do most of my driving with both windows down, and rarely use the AC or ventilation system. Lot's of pollen getting in through the open windows!

What exactly do the pollen filters accomplish, and does it even matter?

Any harm to leaving them "as is" indefinitely?

While I do not see a need for them, I don't want to foul my ventilation/AC system either...

Let me know what you think!

Matt
Old 06-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane

I don't want to foul my ventilation/AC system either...

Let me know what you think!

Matt
Than I would replace them. That is one of the cheapest and easiest DIY's on the 993's. It's just part of the maitenance program. Pull them and see what they look like, but if you are going to pull them, replace them.

Mike
Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Here is the thing about Pollen filters that I do not like...what it the point of replacing a pollen filter on a car who's top can be opened wide to the elements? Its not like there will not be "pollen" inside the car....

One of my friends who owns several businesses told me that one of his criteria for buying a business is consumables. The products have to have a consumable portion ; where the customer has to keep on coming back and buying products that produce for the company a continous profit stream...in this case, they are called "pollen filters".

;-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-21-2009, 09:31 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Actually, pollen filters are not that trivial to replace. I still can not get my covers back on right after popping them off to look at the filters. Others reported the same problem.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

There are a few tricks and the alignment is precise, so if the filter itself is not exactly in its slot, and the cover is not precisely in its spot, you will get jaming. For me, it sometime works first time (where I question did it really do that?) to swearing at it for a while. It does take a bit of a touch.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Actually, pollen filters are not that trivial to replace. I still can not get my covers back on right after popping them off to look at the filters. Others reported the same problem.
Oh my, sounds like fun.

Hence the original question!

M
Old 06-21-2009, 11:03 PM
grouchy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Tend to replace mine when I start noticing some odors from the ventilation system.

The first time was a little difficult, but subsequent times have been pretty easy. Much more than replacing the hood shocks.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:31 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

i feel that in a cab it's not critical to replace pollen filters. On the other hand, I completely understand those who do.

i personally do not have a strong opinion. It's just a bit of a pain sometimes, as as Mike.J mentioned, I'm at a swearing and screaming stage with mine right now.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:45 AM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced mine the other day, after using a set for a year and a half. They were quite dirty and my vents smell much better now.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:41 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My question would be if dirty filters restrict air flow or not. When using the air conditioner, every 993er knows we do not have the strongest fans pushing our AC out of the vents. The fan in my M5 will absolutely blow me out of the car, as compared to the 993 barely blowing wind in your face.

I have not replaced mine in the five years I have owned my TT. Would I get stronger air flow by replacing these?
Old 06-22-2009, 03:16 AM
jenskleis
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine a few weeks ago. It was dead-easy to do, and I has no problems putting the covers back on.

Replacing the filters took care of the slightly mouldy smell, which would appear when cranking up the A/C.

It also cured a very annoying intermittent whining noise that would come and go, when the A/C had been going at full tilt for an hour or so.

While the filters were out, I took advantage of having access to the A/C condenser to give it a proper cleaning with A/C disinfectant foam.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Blaine S
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

The first time I replaced mine one cover was slightly misaligned and you could feel the cold air blowing out of the housing.

However, I have noticed that my center vents do not have the same airflow. One side blows slightly harder than the other. Has anybody else noticed this?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Maybe a dumb question, why not just remove them?
Old 06-22-2009, 01:05 PM
Dick in TN
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe without the filters you could get a gradual buildup of dirt on the evaporator, reducing airflow and heat transfer.
Old 06-22-2009, 01:57 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Left side center air vent always blows much harder than the right one. A 993 idiosyncrasy.

Quick Reply: Pollen filters - any harm in letting 'em die a slow natural death?