Passed CA Smog & More....

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 213 Posts
Default Passed CA Smog & More....

On June 1, I posted that I had taken the 993 in and passed the emission portion and failed the ODC II codes. ( https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-and-more.html ) I then took it to the referee station. This was the same as two years ago. However, things have changed. The referee stated that I had 5 codes showing not ready. Three is the max allowed. I either had to take the car to a smog repair shop and spend up to $450 or a Porsche dealer. I stopped by the dealer and for a mere $300 they will drive it with a computer hooked up to it and see that all codes are loaded.

My fellow Rennlisters came to the rescue and within the four pages and 53 posting, I found my answer(s). I also had several PMs and posting offering help. What a place! I bought an Actron CP9180 AutoScanner Plus to read and reset the ODC II. I followed the instructions that Jack and others posted. I conducted the drive cycle four times; yes, it was overkill.

Took it to the original smog check place and had him plug it in. All of the readiness codes showed as ready. It passed. My Rennlist friend saved me paying the dealer $300. I got a nice ODC II reader that I will use for many years for a mere $135 so I am ahead of the game $165 with a new tool. Thanks guys, you are the best!

My only complaint was with the Actron CP9180. It would not show me the readiness code. It would only show me the, “Since DTCs Cleared”. And once there it listed all but one as “NA” for “Not Applicable” – vehicle does not support that monitor. I am sure I was missing something.

Last edited by Chuck W.; 06-19-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:11 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

All that good Karma you have from helping folks around here paid off in spades, Chuck. Always nice to see good things happen to good people.

Enjoy your weekend.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

Way to go, Chuck!!! How are you these days? I hope you are well.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's great Chuck. It is really nice to save bucks you know are too much and end up empowered, too. Congrats.
Old 06-20-2009, 04:06 AM
Howdy993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What goes around comes around my friend and you deserve all the best you have coming.

Not sure how Texas stacks up against California on vehicle inspection stringincy - but mine passed with flying colors yesterday .

Glad it all worked out for you CW.
Old 06-20-2009, 01:09 PM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the 'monitor' is not installed in your car, it will be listed as NA (Not Applicable).
The status you do NOT want to see is "INC" ...which is "Inconclusive" - i.e. tests have not been run or have been run and the outcome wasn't a pass (yet).
The status we all want to see is "OK".

Glad to hear it worked out for you. Yes, trust me, as a 'scanner owner' myself, it pays dividends knowing, "going in", what the true story is.

Gerry

Quick Reply: Passed CA Smog & More....