Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement--Replace the bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 01:24 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Does anyone replace the bolts as long as they are there or just keep the same ones?
I replaced all 38 of them; 11 per lower valve cover and 8 per upper valve cover.

I also refinished all 38 valve cover bushings using a simple tool that I made...

Before (close-up of one of them)...

After (lower valve cover)...

After (upper valve cover)...

OEM lower valve cover installed with new OEM valve cover bolts...

As for using stainless steel socket head cap screws, their strength isn't the issue at the mere 7 lbf. ft. they are torqued to; I'm more concerned with the issue of using stainless steel in aluminum without using an anti-seize compound on the threads.

As for warped OEM covers, I doubt it. I'd bet those billet aluminum valve covers would leak just as easily if the old hard rubber valve cover seals were re-used. Its the valve cover rubber seals turning hard due to age and heat that causes them to leak.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:41 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Pezely
I bought my valve cover bolts #900-067-238-02 at Sunset for .52 cents each.
Yup, I paid 48 cents each back in January 2010.

As for using a similar M6 x 30 socket head cap screw, I'd at least go for ones that are zinc plated.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but getting ready to do the lower valve cover and gaskets. The car is experiencing more of a leak than weep now. I already have the gaskets, now i'm getting the valve cover and getting new bolts.

I understand there are 38 bolts, correct? Pelican sells them for $1.25/ea...that's $50 for bolts! Is there a better (read: cheaper) place to source them?

Thanks!
The boys at FD Motorsports will set you up with a set of bolts too. It's where I got mine when I got the RS Clutch & flywheel kit.

If they're seriously leaking it may be due to warped valve covers themselves. After you get them off and cleaned up put them on something flat like a piece of glass to make sure they're not warped. If they are replace them, you don't have to replace them w/ fancy aluminum ones, the stock work fine (but don't look as nice).
Old 05-17-2011, 11:01 AM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I replaced the bolts on both my top and bottom covers with OEM.
Can you imagine trying to Dremel off some stripped bolt that saved you $.25?
When I bought mine from Sunset back on '07, they cost $.44 a piece.
Damn inflation.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:32 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 557 Likes on 377 Posts

Mine leaked pretty bad. I replaced gaskets and used new bolts from Sunset. Did the trick... Dry as can be.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:48 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks guys. Just ordered the lower valve cover ($90.84), 12 bolts ($.52/ea.), and a couple of other things from Sunset. I gotta say, their prices for original parts are extremely competitive to "OEM" parts.

Unfortunately (and probably fortunately) my Indy will be doing the work. I figured I mind as well replace the cover as well since I don't want to have to do the work again.

It seems only the driver's side is leaking, but should I be doing the other side as well?

Thanks!

Last edited by Arrwin; 05-17-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:32 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys. Just ordered the lower valve cover gasket ($90.84), 12 bolts ($.52/ea.), and a couple of other things from Sunset. I gotta say, their prices for original parts are extremely competitive to "OEM" parts.

Unfortunately (and probably fortunately) my Indy will be doing the work. I figured I mind as well replace the cover as well since I don't want to have to do the work again.

It seems only the driver's side is leaking, but should I be doing the other side as well?

Thanks!
I'm a big proponent of letting non-leaking valve covers lie...

For what it's worth, some original parts are available for less than direct from Porsche. Really depends on the specific part.
The original valve cover is a good example. Not a huge difference but a bit less "elsewhere"
Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 PM
Mike Pezely
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. Just ordered the lower valve cover gasket ($90.84), 12 bolts ($.52/ea.), and a couple of other things from Sunset. I gotta say, their prices for original parts are extremely competitive to "OEM" parts.

Thanks!
Yes. Stay on top of it and do both sides.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

$90.84 for a valve cover gasket!!?? Aren't they more like $15...?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:35 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul M
$90.84 for a valve cover gasket!!?? Aren't they more like $15...?
Oops....meant valve cover. Already have the gaskets.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:33 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Since the thread is active again - I just thought I would add that Eagle-Days are cadmium plated/coated(?) with washers. Around $12 a set (11). Not cheap but will look good with the black powder coated covers and my blue plug wires, not that anyone will see them given all the crap blovking the view. No relation with Eagle Day other than a satisfied customer.

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gasket Replacement--Replace the bolts?