Scissor Lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:45 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Scissor Lift

I have seen some threads on here, searched, etc., and am still confused.

I'm really leaning towards dropping my engine this fall, replacing lifters, new clutch etc, and prefer not to try it w/ jack stands. I also don't want to put in a full lift, even though my garage would probably accept it. So I'm leaning towards a scissor lift. It isn't the best solution, but I think would work well for my situation.

I know there's a model that is known to work for dropping the engine if you cut one of the cross members off (forget the exact brand).

Who else here has one, what do you like/dislike about it?
Old 06-16-2009, 03:55 PM
993Coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't have it yet, but I'm going with this model:

http://www.metro-lifts.com/md-6xp.htm

$1845 with free shipping. This is the model where you remove one small bar to make engine/tranny removable easy. Doesn't effect structural integrity. There was a thread on here somewhere. I'll try to find it.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:09 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

I think that's the one I'd be leaning towards as well. I've seen a few others too, but would love to get some readings from folks with them, particularly if they used them on a 993 since things aren't in the "usual" spots from other cars.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 PM
993Coupe
Instructor

How are things down there in Arkansas? I grew up in Ft. Smith and went to UA for undergrad. Are they ever going to have a freakin football team again?

Go Hogs!
Old 06-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Bend-Pak 48" scissor lift, I haven't needed to drop the engine yet but see no reason it couldn't be done w/out modifying the lift. One end of the lift has a cross bar at the end, the other does not. So just turn either the car or the lift around (not both, duh) and viola!
Old 06-16-2009, 07:17 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

I had been looking for a low rise lift for a while, but couldn't really justify the limited use for the price. I looked around and finally bought a 39", 6000 lb lift from Harbor Freight tools. It worked out great. I love it and the price. One of the advantages to the Harbor Freight unit is you can return it within 30 days for a full refund. It's a special order item. My store had it for sale for $949, I signed up for their weekly email coupons and recieved a 20% discount coupon. Total was $810 out the door including taxes. I really couldn't use any more height than 39" in my basement. Check it out, I'm pleased with it.
Randy
Old 06-17-2009, 09:31 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Coupe
How are things down there in Arkansas? I grew up in Ft. Smith and went to UA for undergrad. Are they ever going to have a freakin football team again?

Go Hogs!
Gorgeous, although it is getting too hot already. I think the Razorbacks will be much improved this year if Mallett plays, and next year things will really start coming together. I have high hopes.

I went to UCA myself. When were you up there?
Old 06-17-2009, 09:33 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I have the Bend-Pak 48" scissor lift, I haven't needed to drop the engine yet but see no reason it couldn't be done w/out modifying the lift. One end of the lift has a cross bar at the end, the other does not. So just turn either the car or the lift around (not both, duh) and viola!
Thanks for clarifying!
Old 06-17-2009, 10:26 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
I have seen some threads on here, searched, etc., and am still confused.

I'm really leaning towards dropping my engine this fall, replacing lifters, new clutch etc, and prefer not to try it w/ jack stands. I also don't want to put in a full lift, even though my garage would probably accept it. So I'm leaning towards a scissor lift. It isn't the best solution, but I think would work well for my situation.

I know there's a model that is known to work for dropping the engine if you cut one of the cross members off (forget the exact brand).

Who else here has one, what do you like/dislike about it?

I have a midrise lift and I bought it specifically to drop my engine and trans. I had zero issues with it and it worked perfect. You just have to cut one of the rear braces, which is not a big deal. What I cut out turned into a valuable breaker bar for working on the car. There is a ton of space to get the engine out without having to remove the bumper cover.

You really can't just turn the lift around, the hydraulics are on one end and the other is open except for the brace that yo need to cut out.

I got mine from greg smith. I also got the 1ton rolling cart as the engine jack. Worked much better then a trans jack.

With this setup getting the engine back in is a 1 man job.

Depending on your cars ride height, you may need a couple of 2x12's to get the car over the lift.

I even used it to work on my Cayenne S.

One big mod I did was to have some custom plates made for the porsche jack points. basically the bolt through a hockey puck.

Let me know if you have any quesitons. I can probably dig up the photos.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:36 AM
993Coupe
Instructor

Gorgeous, although it is getting too hot already. I think the Razorbacks will be much improved this year if Mallett plays, and next year things will really start coming together. I have high hopes.

I went to UCA myself. When were you up there?
Graduated in '98. Loved it. My freshman year was '94 (year we won Basketball Championship). Was a crazy time! Nolan and his 40 minutes of hell. Dickson St. is still one of my favorite places and the "Six in the Hand" Stout at the Ozark Brew Pub is my FAVORITE beer!! Been to UCA a few times. Dated a girl there for a while. And my folks have a place on Petit Jean Mountain (close to the automobile museum).

Back to biz......Bought the Bend Pak lift and should expect it next week sometime. I'll take a load of pics for you if you wish. Let me know.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:58 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
I have a midrise lift and I bought it specifically to drop my engine and trans. I had zero issues with it and it worked perfect. You just have to cut one of the rear braces, which is not a big deal. What I cut out turned into a valuable breaker bar for working on the car. There is a ton of space to get the engine out without having to remove the bumper cover.

You really can't just turn the lift around, the hydraulics are on one end and the other is open except for the brace that yo need to cut out.

Let me know if you have any quesitons. I can probably dig up the photos.
I would love to see photos of the brace you need to cut. Since one end is already open (the opposite end from the hydraulics) I'm having trouble picturing it.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:19 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

I would love to see photos of the brace you need to cut. Since one end is already open (the opposite end from the hydraulics) I'm having trouble picturing it.
+1!
Old 06-17-2009, 11:21 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Coupe
Graduated in '98. Loved it. My freshman year was '94 (year we won Basketball Championship). Was a crazy time! Nolan and his 40 minutes of hell. Dickson St. is still one of my favorite places and the "Six in the Hand" Stout at the Ozark Brew Pub is my FAVORITE beer!! Been to UCA a few times. Dated a girl there for a while. And my folks have a place on Petit Jean Mountain (close to the automobile museum).

Back to biz......Bought the Bend Pak lift and should expect it next week sometime. I'll take a load of pics for you if you wish. Let me know.
Nice! My nephew went to school there, but I think it was after you. At the time he was in a band that was pretty big up there... Grandpa's Goodtime Fandango, in case you've heard of them. Now he's in Nashville doing some different music.

Beautiful part of the country up there!

I'd love to hear what you think of the lift when you get it.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

I got the sissors lift and it is working fine. Don't know about the engine drop but I believe one could cut the brace without issues.

Having said that, I struggled with going to a 2 post or the sissors. If I had the room, there would be a 2 post without a question. Much more flexibility and higher lift.

If I ever design a house/garage....

Cheers!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:20 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1!
this has been discussed before... and there are probably better pix here somewhere.

without cutting this bar (see pic, 2 red lines near axles is where the bar is/was located) your transaxle will hit and require the lump to come down at a severe angle. I won't say an impossible angle but if it's not impossible, it is pretty dang close.
This is on the BendPak lift.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Scissor Lift