993 Forum 1995-1998

Scissor Lift

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You might want to consider this one... works on low ceiling setups and you can just put it away when you are done... nothing in the way when working under the car. I went from the midrise to this setup and love it!

From this:

to this:

I get to move it between engine bays and put it away when I am done.

Here is a video.. Not affiliated, blah blah blah blah... just one happy customer.

An old video when first testing the lift with the 964...

and a few more photos:

In the single bay:

Old 06-17-2009, 06:06 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I would love to see photos of the brace you need to cut. Since one end is already open (the opposite end from the hydraulics) I'm having trouble picturing it.
here are a few.

This one you can see the grey metal at the top where I cut the brace.

you can see all the lift parts in the front. There is no way to get the trans out of there.

I used these for the jack points.

Old 06-17-2009, 06:08 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wachuko
You might want to consider this one... works on low ceiling setups and you can just put it away when you are done... nothing in the way when working under the car. I went from the midrise to this setup and love it!

From this:

This is next for me. it is a pain to park the car over the lift. I am getting good at it but still a pain. I just need to figure out the layout so that there is enough room front to back and the cayenne fits on it. if not my floor will look like swiss cheese with multiple holes for different vehicles.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:23 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the MaxJax setup too, but I am nervous about the floor in my garage and if it's really good enough to anchor it. I can't imagine I'd actually take the time to bolt it up, remove it, bolt it up, etc. and I think leaving it there would make it difficult to open the doors on the car to get in and out.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks. I thought for sure the last time I cleaned under the lift that I checked for the rear crossbrace and didn't remember seeing one. Obviously I was wrong. (Cayenne has been parked over it for awhile now.)

Jim (Jaholmes) jack blocks are cool, look very nice. Want to set up a group buy for them?

The MaxJax looks like a nice option but I know it has it's downsides.

Thanks again for the enlightenment.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
I like the MaxJax setup too, but I am nervous about the floor in my garage and if it's really good enough to anchor it. I can't imagine I'd actually take the time to bolt it up, remove it, bolt it up, etc. and I think leaving it there would make it difficult to open the doors on the car to get in and out.
In the single bay I have it at 115" between the outside of the lift colums. That is a tight fit when getting out of the car, but it allows me to leave it in the single bay without getting in the way of the double bay area. Good for when it will spend longer periods of time on the lift.

In the double bay I have the columns at 128". Plenty of space to open the doors, have tested the lift with all the Porsche, a '98 Pontiac Firebird, the motorcycle, and a Corvette. No problems and can't think of any downsides... The column in the middle of the two bays I set it up so that I just turn it around and use the same holes (only one additional hole, middle hole, needs to be drilled).

You do need to make sure you have at least a 4" concrete slab... they have the specs on their site.

Before I got this, the mid-rise was the best thing I could have in the garage (remember I had ceiling heights limitations). Now, not having the ramps in the way, or that big chunk of metal all the time there is a lot better. Makes it easier to bleed the clutch or work under the car for checking shift coupling (I did a replacement of a shift coupler bushings with the mid rise and it was a hassel to go under the car to take the covers out, etc.)

Anyway. Sorry if I come across as too enthusiastic but after working with the mid-rise, this two-post setup is far better, imho of course.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

MaxJax info
ASE Deals site FYI, $2,172.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by 993BillW
MaxJax info
ASE Deals site FYI, $2,172.
Group buy in progress here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=35446

I was able to get it during the first group buy when the lift came out.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:51 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 783 Likes on 422 Posts

The variation in price speaks to the generous profit margins on these things. I would guess that with the proper amount of "murraying" (New England bargaining expression) you could buy these every day for less than $2000 with shipping included.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
The variation in price speaks to the generous profit margins on these things. I would guess that with the proper amount of "murraying" (New England bargaining expression) you could buy these every day for less than $2000 with shipping included.
+1

Mid-rise I got for US$1,500.00 delivered. No group buy, nothing...

The MaxJax I got also for US$1,500.00 delivered. This was during the product launch in a group buy they did on the Garage Journal website... Last group buy I saw it was going for $1950, including shipping

I got both lifts from www.dannmar.com . So far they have been good to deal with.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

I was also going to add... if you go with a mid-rise be sure to get the one with automatic locking/unlocking mechanism. There is one with a cable and a handle/lever to unlock when you want to lower the lift (the one I had used this setup), I had to replace the cable a couple of times. It was not as easy pulling the lever to unlock it. I ended up not using the lever and replacing the cable with a normal cable that I would pull to unlock it.

The automated one unlocks as you lower the lift... much easier. Just something to keep in mind and be sure to ask before you buy.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:21 PM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all! Good info to ponder here. Good points on the low-rise being a bit of a pain when you're not using it. I have to weigh whether that's more of a pain or the posts in the middle of my garage I suppose. I will be doing something in the next month or so to be sure I have it in time to drop the engine/tranny in the fall.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:58 PM
TX Silver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Group buy in progress here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=35446

I was able to get it during the first group buy when the lift came out.
Looks like the group buy is over. Was for May 20th only.

Frank
Old 06-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by murfysflaw
Thanks all! Good info to ponder here. Good points on the low-rise being a bit of a pain when you're not using it. I have to weigh whether that's more of a pain or the posts in the middle of my garage I suppose. I will be doing something in the next month or so to be sure I have it in time to drop the engine/tranny in the fall.
Turns out I don't have a photo of the columns out of the way and against the wall when I am done with them... remember you get all the space back once you are done with them. Unless you want to keep them fixed...

That is enough Best of luck on what ever you decide to go with.

Quick Reply: Scissor Lift