PSS10 and ride height

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 09:51 PM
cy7878
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PSS10 and ride height

Hi all,

Can someone shed some light as to whether PSS10s can be installed without dropping the ride hieght? Most posts I read seem to indicate the height is dropped between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches, but nothing indicating if the current ride height can be preserved. I'm asking because as much as I like the look of a lowered 993, I would actually like to keep my current height because:
1. tire clearance issues
2. driveways
3. So Cal potholes.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help answer this question.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:18 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lower it as much as you can while staying within camber tolerances for a 993...It will look great and you wont have any issues...
I had mine slammed to the ground and went through tires (300 treadwear lasted 6500mi)...Great track setup ...bad for DD...

I have PSS9's (same but yours have better valving)

Last edited by J.B.H.; 06-08-2009 at 10:18 PM. Reason: left something out
Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did the PSS10s and if I remember correctly ROW Sport height was about the highest. I've got mine at the bottom of the ROW Sport range and have had no problems with the roads and we have horrible pot holes here.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:09 AM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

My car is not lowered much, and I have not hit anything yet. I could raise it by more than one inch if I had to.

I currently clear my driveway by exactly one inch.

I also have very little negative camber, and my tires wear evenly.

Getting adjustable coilovers does not mean you have to slam your car:-)

The Pss10s should give you a greater height range than the ROW M030/HD setup. (longer threads on the shocks if I am not mistaken)
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2009, 05:23 AM
travanx
Pro

My car is ROW after the coilovers settled. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac that goes down with the extreme driveway that goes back up and its ok. The only stuff I have issues with are anything in Downtown LA with the stupid driveways. But its just more scraping then actual destroying the car.

I am a civil engr and can't imagine a worse designed driveway than where I live. An old neighbor had a Ferrari and had to put wood ramps in the street pull their car into their even worse driveway. I actually think you will be very ok with the highest settings on a coilover, especially living in Orange County.

In fact if I am ever down that direction I would be more than willing to let you or me try to clear whatever driveways you have issues with. I am a UCI alumn, zot zot.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:36 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 885 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by cy7878
Hi all,

Can someone shed some light as to whether PSS10s can be installed without dropping the ride hieght? Most posts I read seem to indicate the height is dropped between 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 inches, but nothing indicating if the current ride height can be preserved. I'm asking because as much as I like the look of a lowered 993, I would actually like to keep my current height because:
1. tire clearance issues
2. driveways
3. So Cal potholes.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help answer this question.
yes, you can install adjustable coil-overs (PSS10) and not have to lower the ride height so much as to affect your concerns.
here is a photo showing the adjustability of the spring mounting perches, (ride height setting).
my car is set ~ 5mm above RS height.

Note that there is ~ 2" of thread that can be utilized to RAISE the ride height, but keep in mind that the spring perch location to ride height relationship is not 1:1. i.e.; a 1" change in perch location does not = a 1" change in ride height.
Sorry, i don't know what the actual ratio is with the stock Bilstein supplied springs.

have fun
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2009, 06:38 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I'll chime in with another question. I finally decided to pull the plug and get some PSS10s and fatter swaybars than my stock US setup. I'm assuming the answer (re: Gert front end protection bar) is "YES, get it !!!!! you'll need it !!!!) but just wanted to check on the experiences of folks that are running PSS9 or 10 with a 'normal' (i.e. ROW ride height) drop...

Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 06:45 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
I'll chime in with another question. I finally decided to pull the plug and get some PSS10s and fatter swaybars than my stock US setup. I'm assuming the answer (re: Gert front end protection bar) is "YES, get it !!!!! you'll need it !!!!) but just wanted to check on the experiences of folks that are running PSS9 or 10 with a 'normal' (i.e. ROW ride height) drop...

Thanks
I'm at the bottom of ROW Sport range and have not rubbed the front yet but it's only been about 2 months. This is the prairies and we don't tend to have steep driveways. I am careful about going in at an angle the entrance way looks high or steep. When I searched on the FPB I found a few comments recommending against it.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:16 PM
travanx
Pro

I kept reading to not put that bar on because it gives the car something more to push the front in.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:33 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In ~two months (2k miles) at RoW Sport I've scraped once. I do have the FPB, but I think where I scraped wasn't protected by the FPB anyway (I scraped at the corner of the valance.)

I'm not particularly careful about it, but maybe I just don't see many abrupt driveways? I will say for sure that speedbumps are not an issue at all at the current ride height. (Bilstein HD + RoW M030.)
Old 06-09-2009, 07:59 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I got mine, I was told that every 1mm adjustment, results in about 2mm fender gap change. (i.e. double the effect)
Keep in mind that Bilstein recommends that you stay within a specific range. You therefore can't use the entire length of the thread on each shock absorber.
I think you have about 2 inches of fender gap adjustment front and rear (i.e. just over 2cm of recommended useable thread on each shock).
It's in the back of the supplied Pss10 booklet. Unfortunately, I can't verify the info at this time. I get back from my trip in a couple days.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:17 PM
cy7878
Instructor

Thank you all for the input. The info is very helpful in leaning me towards PSS10 and away from HD with US Spec springs. Will keep you guys updated when I finally make a decision.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:59 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
My car is not lowered much, and I have not hit anything yet. I could raise it by more than one inch if I had to.

I currently clear my driveway by exactly one inch.

I also have very little negative camber, and my tires wear evenly.

Getting adjustable coilovers does not mean you have to slam your car:-)

The Pss10s should give you a greater height range than the ROW M030/HD setup. (longer threads on the shocks if I am not mistaken)
Nice!

Quick Reply: PSS10 and ride height