Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GIANT fight with wife, I think the c4s has to go

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:21 PM
NEK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

...and sorry to hear about the domestic strife. Sounds like it'll pass.

-NEK, St. Louis
Old 06-06-2009, 12:59 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by TYNUSKT
I thought for sure this thread was started by Steve R

Old 06-06-2009, 01:14 PM
polaris 993 sport
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

IMPROVE HER CAR! I just re-flashed and upgraded my wife's Audi Allroad-somewhere in the 330 340bhp neighborhood and other stuff. Now she comes home with a nice grin on her face.
I also get to drive it and I can say-I enjoy it almost as much as the 993. Not quite but close. My wife on the other hand encourages me to enjoy myself. She never minded my years of big wave surfing-and my current years of big mountain skiing! I am very lucky in that way-very! Life is too short! I am shipping my cars to europe on sunday. Some might say -what a waste-I say life is short-so enjoy the moment! My two bits!
Old 06-06-2009, 01:17 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Women sometimes just Can't Understand Normal Thinking
Old 06-06-2009, 01:48 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Here's a thought:
My wife wants a new house. I like the idea of a new house, but really like my itty bitty mortgage on the one we have. My wife and I go back and forth for a couple of years on this. I finally tell her we can buy a new one if we sell our house for $X, X being a reasonable price. The sign goes in the yard, wife has a focus on selling, wife is very happy! House has been on the market for a year now. No offers...Wife still happy, me still happy.
So the moral is: Agree to sell the car. List it for sale at a reasonable price, where you don't lose too much money. If it sells, you're not stung too badly. If it doesn't, well....
+1 I did the same thing with my boat. Better half wants it gone, I say it is a terrible time to sell it. We put it on the market for cheap and got one looker. That was the end of that, and we both felt better. If she asks me to do it again, I will and if it sells, that's okay. She needs to feel she has more of a sense of control... She never told me to sell my car, we came to that hard decision together because of our financial situation and other priorities. Try to make the decision together about the car, or there will be resentment. If you need to sell it for financial reasons and are only being stubborn, do a reality check and sell the car.

Incidentally, with all the divorce in this country, I am dismayed at some of the casual comments about it in this thread. I sure hope it is bravado.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:33 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What's dumb and puzzling about this thread is that the person who started it is uninterested in providing any details, but seems proud that his vague and useless contribution to Rennlist has "gotten so many hits."

It does seem clear, however, that the original poster caved to his wife faster than the French did for Hitler. This thread = fail.

Old 06-06-2009, 06:40 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
It does seem clear, however, that the original poster caved to his wife faster than the French did for Hitler. This thread = fail.

That's pure gold.

Andreas
Old 06-06-2009, 07:35 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Sometimes I just dont get married people. Probably because I have never been married and run my own show and after 40 years, its going to be the same show for the rest of my life.

Cheers from Venice, Italy this evening!!
Old 06-06-2009, 07:53 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Noah,

Thanks for making me feel so welcome..

I am happy to provide detail, I am just a little busy today.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks for every ones comments, good or bad.

My wife is a good sport when it comes to cars. I have had lots of toys but her issue with the 993 is more about timing. We moved out of NYC when our second kid was on the way. I purchased the car when she was 8 months pregnant and this may not have been the best time to spend 50 grand. Now that we are out of the NYC we miss it so much. We are on a very aggressive savings plan so we can get back into a pied a terre. So I see her point not having a bunch of cash tied up in a toy. We both work from home so the car does not get driven that much. I do try and take it out as much as possible but with crazy work, new house, 2 little kids I just do not have that much time. I am sure that if this one moves onto the next owner I will be shopping for another one as soon as the market bounces up a bit more. If I do sell it and taking a big hit I will be OK, I have enjoyed every day with the car.

Originally Posted by Noah
What's dumb and puzzling about this thread is that the person who started it is uninterested in providing any details, but seems proud that his vague and useless contribution to Rennlist has "gotten so many hits."

Last edited by SuperUser; 06-06-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:09 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool

Nice, being French makes me an expert on losing, even on Rennlist now:-(

Well, let me start by raising both my middle fingers for a brief moment.

Now that this is done, I shall give you some much needed expert advice then: if you can't win the battle for the C4, you'll lose the one for a c2 also!

If you guys need the money so bad, then of course sell and take a hit. But, if she is just jealous of the attention that the car is getting, then selling it won't solve anything. It will just make you miserable, and then she'll find something else to give you **** about!

On the lighter side, you could also do the southern thing: trade the porsche for a camaro, get a bigger SUV for the wife, beat the hell out of her the next time she gets out of line, get drunk and take it out on the dog too, find a new girlfriend in church next Sunday (distant relative or not), go and kill a few hours at walmart to unwind, buy some more ammo while you are there, keep playing the state lottery to ensure your future financial stability, and finally blame the Democrats for all your problems.

All this, assuming she has not already cut off your *****, and is not keeping them safely in her purse!

How about that for a little Saturday afternoon entertainment?
Old 06-06-2009, 08:21 PM
CaptainGSR
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Haha, "SuperUser" you beat me to it. You replied before I could send the previous post.

In all seriousness, I would probably sell in your situation. It will be a while before our cars go back up in value (if they ever do!). Last air-cooled or not, Porsche built too many 993s to make them an instant classic and wise short term investment.

Sounds like you have a good car. Give us more info on it. Somebody will definitely be interested.

Cheers,
Old 06-06-2009, 08:22 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

It's unfortunately that a car can come between spouses but that's life today. Best of luck finding a proper home for her. (the car).
Old 06-06-2009, 11:32 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SuperUser
Noah,

Thanks for making me feel so welcome..

I am happy to provide detail, I am just a little busy today.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks for every ones comments, good or bad.

My wife is a good sport when it comes to cars. I have had lots of toys but her issue with the 993 is more about timing. We moved out of NYC when our second kid was on the way. I purchased the car when she was 8 months pregnant and this may not have been the best time to spend 50 grand. Now that we are out of the NYC we miss it so much. We are on a very aggressive savings plan so we can get back into a pied a terre. So I see her point not having a bunch of cash tied up in a toy. We both work from home so the car does not get driven that much. I do try and take it out as much as possible but with crazy work, new house, 2 little kids I just do not have that much time. I am sure that if this ones moves onto the next owner I will be shopping for another one as soon as the market bounces up a bit more. If I do sell it and taking a big hit I will be OK, I have enjoyed every day with the car.
Dude - let me wash my car in your driveway and work on it in your garage and you can live in my NYC apartment. Fairfield Co. = NYC w/ a quality of life!

That being said, it sounds like you are selling the car for the correct reasons and your wife has a perfectly reasonable motive for asking you to do this.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:33 PM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaptainGSR
Nice, being French makes me an expert on losing, even on Rennlist now:-(

Well, let me start by raising both my middle fingers for a brief moment.

Now that this is done, I shall give you some much needed expert advice then: if you can't win the battle for the C4, you'll lose the one for a c2 also!

If you guys need the money so bad, then of course sell and take a hit. But, if she is just jealous of the attention that the car is getting, then selling it won't solve anything. It will just make you miserable, and then she'll find something else to give you **** about!

On the lighter side, you could also do the southern thing: trade the porsche for a camaro, get a bigger SUV for the wife, beat the hell out of her the next time she gets out of line, get drunk and take it out on the dog too, find a new girlfriend in church next Sunday (distant relative or not), go and kill a few hours at walmart to unwind, buy some more ammo while you are there, keep playing the state lottery to ensure your future financial stability, and finally blame the Democrats for all your problems.

All this, assuming she has not already cut off your *****, and is not keeping them safely in her purse!

How about that for a little Saturday afternoon entertainment?
Johan - this was one of the top ten posts I have read on Rennlist. I sincerely thank you.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:33 AM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Steve,

Thankfully my job is OK, I remember reading about your situation and it sucks:-( I hope things get sorted out for you soon.

We have about one big fight a year and that is when everything comes to the surface. She is not pushing that hard but in my hart I know that getting the cash into something that can grow a little over the next two years will put us where I want to be.

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
What are her specific reasons why she wants you to sell it? Selling it for a HUGE loss, which is all but inevitable and then ... buying a cheaper 993 doesn't make any sense to me. Selling it and that's it, no more car, that makes sense to me. Talking her into "letting you" keep it, makes even more sense, but it may not be an option to stay happily married. In the end, a happy marriage is the most important thing. Why, though, is she pushing so hard for you to sell? You need the money now?

That's my potential situation. Loss of job, still haven't found a job = may be selling car in 6-9 months.

Hopefully not. I am holding out as hard as possible to keep my car. I LOVE my car!

Good luck with the sale if you sell. What did you buy it for and what do you think it's worth in this dreadful market?

Steve R

Last edited by SuperUser; 06-07-2009 at 01:00 AM.

Quick Reply: GIANT fight with wife, I think the c4s has to go