Sponsored by:

The pro's and con's of regearing

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for your input, Steve and Bill.

The stock gearing...is perhaps the biggest complaint I have about the car...grwoolf
+1
Old 06-06-2009, 02:33 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
Thanks for your input, Steve and Bill.

+1
Yup, the stock car is geared like it has 450ft/lbs of torque from idle on up.
Old 10-29-2009, 05:51 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Additonal questions regarding regearing please respond if possible

Great thread and learned much my question is...i dont want to change 2nd as it has plenty of tourque the few times I have to go to it and frankly do not want to change 6th as I like gas mileage on highway ..and do not feel i will run out of 5th even after regearing...right now get to 135 at Mid Ohio and that is failry early into 5th. So i am thinking of regearing for only 3rd, 4th and 5th......i do Mid Ohio, Vir and Putnam so far and find that except for the slowest turns and the end of the straights i am primarily in 3rd gear for most of all laps and think this regearing will really help.... i would expect to have to do a lot more shifting from 3rd to 4th etc but am convinced the tourque would greatly improve.......

I have been told by a reputable shop in town cost would be about 3 k......question is what else should be done if i do this while they are in there ? I do not have the lightweight flywheel is that worth it and how much approximately would that add to cost ?
Is my thinking rational or am i up too late or both

thanks in advance for listening and looking forward to hearing replies espceiclly from Steve R if at all posssible. all input is welcomed and appreciated

Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by okindao
Great thread and learned much my question is...i dont want to change 2nd as it has plenty of tourque the few times I have to go to it and frankly do not want to change 6th as I like gas mileage on highway ..and do not feel i will run out of 5th even after regearing...right now get to 135 at Mid Ohio and that is failry early into 5th. So i am thinking of regearing for only 3rd, 4th and 5th......i do Mid Ohio, Vir and Putnam so far and find that except for the slowest turns and the end of the straights i am primarily in 3rd gear for most of all laps and think this regearing will really help.... i would expect to have to do a lot more shifting from 3rd to 4th etc but am convinced the tourque would greatly improve.......

I have been told by a reputable shop in town cost would be about 3 k......question is what else should be done if i do this while they are in there ? I do not have the lightweight flywheel is that worth it and how much approximately would that add to cost ?
Is my thinking rational or am i up too late or both

thanks in advance for listening and looking forward to hearing replies espceiclly from Steve R if at all posssible. all input is welcomed and appreciated

change 3,4,5, stock 1,2,6
Old 10-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,106 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
Does anyone know whether, if you chose to re gear, leaving the stock 2nd gear in, and going with a taller 1st gear, the car would bog a bit, from a standstill?
Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
We usually leave 1st gear alone unless the vehicle is a full-blown race car where a "full-active" 6-speed is desirable. That permits the use of 1st gear on each lap in slow corners but not a good idea for anything driven on the street.
My previous 993 had a custom built box with a tall 1st. Yes, it will bog down a bit off the line but most importantly, it will eat through clutches if used mostly or exclusively for street. As Steve said, tall 1st is only a good idea for track-only cars.
Old 10-30-2009, 02:29 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bill Verburg thank you for your help please rechart for me with changes shown below

John Wright hear in Cincinnati convinced me to also change 6th as the drop would be too much as shown by your chart.....thank you for your reply !!!!!

He wll have Brian Coplan do the work ....

could you please rechart it for me changing 3rd thru 6th and my rear tires size is 275-40-17

Thank you very much !!!!!!!

sorry i am a pita !!!!!
Regards and thanks
Old 10-30-2009, 10:33 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by okindao
John Wright hear in Cincinnati convinced me to also change 6th as the drop would be too much as shown by your chart.....thank you for your reply !!!!!

He wll have Brian Coplan do the work ....

could you please rechart it for me changing 3rd thru 6th and my rear tires size is 275-40-17

Thank you very much !!!!!!!

sorry i am a pita !!!!!
Regards and thanks
Huh? The charts will be identical if you change tires, excpt that the max speeds will be more or less by the % difference of the increase or decrease in rolling radius, in this case the difference is pretty small.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:42 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 121 Likes on 85 Posts

http://www.gboxweb.com/gearchart.html

It's not as nice as Bill's but anyone can download a gearchart and run their own specs for their car.
Old 10-30-2009, 09:28 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Most '95 993's have a removable 2nd gear.
Do we have any production datest or VIN's of when this cutoff happened? Just curious if my '95 has this oppertunity...

-reiner

Quick Reply: The pro's and con's of regearing