Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I am not a crook....and need help!! (Locking lug nut issue)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:46 AM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Below is my post from 1/5/09.

You need a 12 point socket, can't remember size 11/16??, small sledge hammer, propane torch, small bucket of ice water, and 4 new lugs.

Use the sledge to knock the 12 point on and remove the lock as normal. I used rags to protect the wheels. After removing use the torch to heat the lug and socket for a few seconds and then drop it in the ice water and she'll pop right out. Move on to the next one. It took me a total of 20 minutes.

I like to leave the key on the lock and drive till she comes off. Then try to find the key. The second time I've done this. Fun huh!
Yes I put locks back on, but only because I had a set already. I'll be ordering lugs soon and never again!
Old 06-05-2009, 01:07 AM
Nollie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhsu
If anyone has a picture of the stock socket I can identify it, I think.
I just so happen to have all my wheels off for a post autox/ pre next autox inspection So here's a picture of my lock nut from the side as delivered by the dealer.

FWIW this is my second set of factory lock nuts. I lost the key to the first and tried the mentioned 12 point socket + hammer + painters tape (for scuff protection). I probably did something wrong but the top of the lug nut simply snapped off so I was left with the bottom part of the nut and didn't have a socket deep enough to get at the rest of it (see image). I drove it to the dealer and they had a master set, popped the old ones off and put the new ones back on. No charge beyond the parts (thanks Porsche dealer at Liberty Lake).

Old 06-05-2009, 10:24 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

exact same thing happened to me!
Old 06-06-2009, 07:32 AM
JStuart
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim...off topic, but do you go to the Bellevue Club? There was a car that looks like yours parked next me to a couple of times recently.

Jay
Old 06-06-2009, 08:35 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jay....no I don't think so. Recently I have been to Park Place a few times but not to Bellevue Club....

Quick Reply: I am not a crook....and need help!! (Locking lug nut issue)