1. Suspension
2. Suspension
3. Suspension
4. Suspension
5. Suspension

Matt
Originally Posted by nshanny
Suspension! Suspension! Suspension!
By far the one you'll notice and appreciate the most.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:49 AM
haygeebaby
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

David

I've had my 993 for about 4 years, but only slipped down the slope about a year ago when I imported the beast over to Aus. I've done a few mods - haven't spent a bomb yet - but will by the end of the year.

I think the best mod so far is the chip. Made the car nicer to drive and perform better. Also better fuel economy. It only cost me US300 bucks and I used the 911chips chip. Pays for itself after a few tanks of fuel.

Cat bypass was a great mod as well. Can't say you'll get any better performance - but the sound it makes - Dam. Not too loud for normal driving, but when it's WOT - sound heavy - like a P Car should. I used Fabspeed catbypass. Nice pipes - well made - easy to install. Some people don't like how the pipe hangs down - but I've had no problems with it at all. I wanted the Dach X pipes but the wait for them was too long - but they look like they are really well made - and no hang down of the pipe.

Air filter - if you mean drilling it and cutting it to look like the RSR box - do it. Costs nothing and makes a great sound. But you won't hear it after you do exhaust - so do it before then and get the sound. I did this with the chip and really enjoyed the new sound and performance.

I did the Carbon Heater bypass pipe as well - gives the engine bay a little more bling. I wanted to get this mod to lose some weight. If you want to lose some weight from the car - especially from the rear - this and the exhaust is a good choice. Take note that you will need a different fan shroud cover for the pipe to fit. This pissed me off and I ended up making the item fit with some special heat pipe - cost like 10 bucks.

Other mods to lose weight which I have done include deleting the spare tire and tools, rear seats, washer bottler, some carpet, engine tray, air bags. I think at this point the car is about 60kg's lighter. Plan to do the seats and RS carpet to lose around 100kg's. Might notice more performance difference then. Seems that losing weight in the 993 is one of the best performance upgrades.

Also powder coated the engine fan and housing. While I did this I did the RS pulley as well. Can't say I noticed any performance increase with the Pulley. Don't have any light dimming with it as well. But I only did these becuase the bearings needed to be changed from the alternator.

Right now I'm doing red calipers and painting the rotor hats. Makes the car look nice and is a very cheap mod.

Also did my first oil change on the car - easy to do.

Next on the list are Bilstein HD's or PSS10s. I think my suspension is gone - and want to get this done before I get the xmas present mod - super charger. After that it should be wheels.

If I could start from scratch again I'd just go supercharger and suspension. And then start with weight reducation. Then cosmetics.

Hope that gives you some ideas. For the list you have, I'd skip air filter - do exhaust. But with these two mods - you won't get any additional performance. Just better tunes.

Suspension would be high on the list for me. With the P car I want performance rather than looks - as the car already looks great with 17" cups. But I do want to lose the 4x4 look and get some nice rims as well. I'd probably do rims at the same time. No doubt rims, rubber, and suspension is going to cost a bomb.

As for the fly wheel - I can't do the mod becuase I have a tippy. But I hear it improves performance a lot. But I wonder how much it would cost and when would be the best time to do it - i.e when doing other necessary repairs. The alternative for me is the SC - bang for bucks and great performance. Maybe an option for you.

Hope this helps and Good luck mate.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:00 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do the suspension first...good chance your current shocks are shot plus once you get it lowered it will also be easier to evaluate your wheel/tire options. the drilled airbox mod is cheap (free) and so is LPMM exhaust mod ($100-150) so relative no-brainers. for wheels if you are willing to buy used then sit tight and be opportunistic.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:48 AM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

My thoughts:

1. Suspension - I suggest ROW M030 with HD shocks. PSS9/10 too stiff for typical street use, IMHO.

everything else is a tie for 5th place:

5. Exhaust. Don't expect a significant performance increase. Sounds nice though.
5. 18" Wheels. Looks nice but rides harder than 17".
5. LWF/RS Clutch- Like Mark said, hardly worth it, esp. for a street car.
5. Air Filter. Don't install K&N, they can mess up the MAF and there's no point anyway.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Agree with everyone here, but certainly take into account your objectives.

with my 1980 SC, I upgraded the suspension heavily, but that car saw track action a few times a year. it became too harsh for the street (in conjunction with my aging body). I sold that car.

My 993 is purly for street, so for my uses, the M030/HD (installed by PO) set up is perfect, although PSS10 would be more flexible as well as more $$$
We had no exhaust on our 912, and the 911SC had minimal exhaust, so the 993 stock exhaust is a welcome change. (see also #2 below)

Having said that, for me, my mods include:
1: HIDs: WOW, factory OEM lighting is horrible, if you EVER drive at night, HIDs are great value. search the archives for excellent install tips.

2: CDR-220+amp and speakers: I had a CDR-210 before, the 220 allows the use of an ipod via the aux input, aftermarket amp and speakers are far superior to the nokia set up. (I enjoy my tunes, so this explains why I prefer the factory exhaust)

3: MY02s: Since my car is for the street, I wasn't looking for "performance" enhancement, and this is completly an aesthetics move for me, but I like the "Porsche" look of the MY02s, they just look "right" on the 993. the added bonus is that they are very light. There are a number of wheels that look spectacular on the 993 as well, check out the "coolest wheels" thread for lots of money spending ideas. I particularly like the GT-3 style wheel (Caherra and Simpatico's cars) but those are more difficult to find and delicate to fit to a NB.

Last edited by Kika; 06-03-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:47 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
By far the one you'll notice and appreciate the most.
umm... suspension whatever the use will increase your overall driving pleasure. The pleasure incresing with the rate at which you travel through corners.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:54 PM
David Stamm
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the responses everyone. Another question from this ignorant neophyte. When HD's are mentioned in conjunction with M030, what are the "HD's"? Are they a brand?
Old 06-03-2009, 04:45 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

They are Bilstein HDs. M030 is the spring.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:58 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David Stamm
Thanks for the responses everyone. Another question from this ignorant neophyte. When HD's are mentioned in conjunction with M030, what are the "HD's"? Are they a brand?
I'm no expert but I thing that HD = Heavy Duty
Old 06-03-2009, 05:32 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

for a great, more aggressive looking, street 993:
-get the suspension out of the way first
-17 to 18's
-super cups, if it is just a toy!
Old 06-03-2009, 09:36 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fancy Radio, Cup Holder
Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I'd put RS motor mounts on the list. They may not add too much by themselves but the stock jelly filled ones should be thrown into the junk pile next to the Monroe shocks, DMF, and stock rubber donut shift selector rod. They let the engine sag un evenly after a while.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:09 AM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are some of the mods I have done and really like:
  • PSS10s - I run these on fairly stiff settings and they are great even on crap roads; They will turn your old car into a real sports car.
  • Chris Walrod control arm bushings
  • cup holder
  • modern stereo (I'm not done with this yet)
  • Golden Rod shift rod upgrade
  • HID conversion (to be done and needed badly!)
  • Cassette holder delete/storage tray addition
  • Airbox drilling - no cost
Old 06-04-2009, 12:18 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

1) suspension --> I strongly recommend the HD M030 upgrade instead the PSS10 if you not planning o race the car
2) LWF clutch - you will be amazed how much faster your car will rev up and comes out of the turns

These of course expensive mods but worth. I did the clutch after mine was gone. But I was amazed how much was the impact.

Jack

Last edited by tropheus; 06-04-2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:56 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
The flywheel is overrated, IMO.

If you're talking about pure performance, here's my list:

1) Driver's education
2) Suspension
3) Driver's education
4) Re-gear (or supercharger)
5) Driver's education
6) Momo Mod .07 steering wheel (totally underrated as a performance mod)
7) Driver's education
8) Exhaust (less for performance and more for aural pleasure)
2nd.

Could swap re-gear with exhaust. (Exhaust will save some weight and give better sound but not really add performance)

Quick Reply: Upgrades in order of importance