Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Be safe out there guys, I'm lucky to be alive.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 05:32 AM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default OT: Be safe out there guys, I'm lucky to be alive.

I just felt like I had to share with someone, so please excuse the off-topic-ness of this thread.

So about 3 hours ago (10:10pm) I was mugged. Long story short, I got in my car (I was driving my acura suv at the time) and a few seconds later, the mugger tapped on my door told me to give him all my money and cocked his gun. Now, my dad is a hunter so I've grown up around firearms, so the sound of a semi-auto handgun being cocked is something I recognize. All I needed to hear was that sound, and I knew things could get really ugly. I didn't have any cash on me at the moment, but the mugger made off with my wallet, cellphone, and pocket knife. Really nothing if you think about it, but an interesting experience nonetheless.

I guess times really are getting tough. Even though I'm angry that I was mugged, a part of me ponders the extenuating circumstances one must be in, in order to go to such desperate measures just to make ends meet. It's a crazy world we live in guys. Be safe, don't take things for granted, and don't go out at night!! Thanks for reading.

edit: anyone have a cellphone that works with ATT they'd consider donating?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:55 AM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Sorry to hear that. I don't know the laws in California, but in Florida the criminal gets mandatory time for any crime in which a gun is used. I carry a gun all the time, but our carrying laws are very open here. I wouldn't feel safe all the time if I didn't. I'd check with the local laws and the NRA to see if your state allows concealed weapons permitting.

Last edited by JDHertz11; 05-30-2009 at 08:28 AM.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:48 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CCPs are pretty tough to get in Cali last time I checked
Old 05-30-2009, 08:33 AM
murfysflaw
Wallflower
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you are ok! It is crazy what some folks will do, and if they are crazy enough to go that far, how easy would it be for some to take the next step.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Glad it turned out ok. I was robbed with a gun stuck in the back of my head so I know what it feels like.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:43 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, not good.. sorry you had that happen.
What area were you in?
I had an AT&T phone I just got rid of... sorry!

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Sorry to hear that. I don't know the laws in California, but in Florida the criminal gets mandatory time for any crime in which a gun is used. I carry a gun all the time, but our carrying laws are very open here. I wouldn't feel safe all the time if I didn't. I'd check with the local laws and the NRA to see if your state allows concealed weapons permitting.
You cannot get a CCP in Ca. (well, with few, very rare exceptions... or if you are on Senator Boxer's staff, ironically enough)
If you could... this sort of thing would be much less likely to happen.
Of course, it would be like Dodge City and we'd have shootouts in the streets on a daily basis
Old 05-30-2009, 10:44 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cactus
Glad it turned out ok. I was robbed with a gun stuck in the back of my head so I know what it feels like.
oh crap!

Trending Topics

Old 05-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a CCP and usually carry. It poses and interesting dilemma, however, in light of the recent story about the pharmacist who shot that dirt bag who robbed him at gunpoint. Do you shoot the creep in the back as he is running away (as we are most tempted to do) or do we chalk it up to experience and move on? Perhaps a shot through the door into his chest would get his attention, but with a muzzle pointed at your squash you could end up the big loser.
As for deserate times, there are so many programs, handouts, shelters etc. to help people who want to be helped. Someone willing to rob you at gun point for whats in your wallet is not trying to feed his family.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:55 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Glad to hear you're OK, stuff can easily be replaced. When I first read the thread title I immediately pictured your car and thought that it was going to be the subject of bad news... But this could have been so much worse.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:04 AM
TX Silver
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarkD
Of course, it would be like Dodge City and we'd have shootouts in the streets on a daily basis
I thought that parts of California were already like that...

Originally Posted by KraZy007
I just felt like I had to share with someone, so please excuse the off-topic-ness of this thread.

So about 3 hours ago (10:10pm) I was mugged.
Glad to hear that you're OK & all that was lost were a few material objects.

Been on that ride before & it's not a pleasant feeling. Felt more angry than anything else after everything was said and done.

Frank

P.S. You could always call the phone and tell whoever answers that you got his stuff and will meet him at 'XYZ'.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:05 AM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default That's why I always go around with my two good friends Smith and Wesson

Amen
Old 05-30-2009, 11:30 AM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KraZy007
I guess times really are getting tough. Even though I'm angry that I was mugged, a part of me ponders the extenuating circumstances one must be in, in order to go to such desperate measures just to make ends meet.
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you, but do you really think that people go around threatening to murder other people "just to make ends meet"?

Are you, you know, ****ing serious?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:39 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Jimmy,

Sorry to hear about this crappy incidence. I doubt the robber was trying to make ends meet. More like in need of a crack hit or something.

I rarely go out at night anymore, especially to certain parts of the East Bay. The Bay Area is by no means a safe place. Too many drunks and hoodlums around.

CP
Old 05-30-2009, 12:17 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow, glad to see you post here after that. Gosh, what tramatic experience!!
Old 05-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Denise993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very scary! I'm glad you are OK. Here in VA it is pretty easy to get a concealed carry permit. I just saw on the news recently that an older couple was taking a walk together and someone tried to mug them. The man pulled out his gun and shot the mugger. I'm hoping all VA miscreants took note.

Quick Reply: OT: Be safe out there guys, I'm lucky to be alive.