Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

OT: Be safe out there guys, I'm lucky to be alive.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 05:28 PM
trickydisco
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

holy ****...

i'm glad you are okay.
Old 05-30-2009, 05:40 PM
twinreds
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I'm the opposite of disturbed to know that good people are carrying guns these days. It makes me happy.
Amen brother. In an ideal world where everybody was allowed to carry, a lowlife like that would think ten times before approaching you.

Originally Posted by Noah
I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you, but do you really think that people go around threatening to murder other people "just to make ends meet"?

Are you, you know, ****ing serious?
Making ends meet is relative. The end of the last shot of crack and the beginning of the next? You bet! Truth is, people are desperate these days. For God's sake, people are killing their families and commiting suicide because they cannot make ends meet. For more info, watch Fun with Dick and Jane with Jim Carrey
Old 05-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

This makes me grateful after 48 years, it's never happened to me. I'm sorry it happened to you and you'll probably have post traumatic stress disorder for a while over this, at least I would.

I feel invinceable, parking in bad areas some times, not really worrying about it, but after hearing your story, I'll be a little less casual about this. I realize your stick up was in a sleepy suburb, so in the end, no place is truly safe, even the wilderness. People get shot to death camping in the middle of freakin' nowhere!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:04 PM
cdmdriver
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jimmy,

Didn't you read the news? Arnold, has fired all of the police and released all of the violent criminals in an effort to balance our budget!
Old 05-30-2009, 07:47 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Michael S., thanks for the gracious offer.

Techsis, that's some great advice, thanks! I had police at my home 15 minutes after the incident. I've reported all my credit cards and bank card stolen already as well. Good thing is there were no documents in my wallet that had my address, social security number, or any other pertinent info., even my driver's license didn't have my current address. But man, you got pistol whipped? Ouch, I'm glad you're still here as well.

It sounds like some of you guys have had even more traumatic experiences than mine. Both Cactus and Techsis had guns pointed to the back of their heads...man that's all kinds of crazy.

But hey guys, you know what I am happy about? The mugger never noticed my Panerai watch! If there was anything worth taking, it would have been my Panerai. I'm really surprised too since the polished steel case and bracelet is quite shiny. Sucker! But really, I love this watch, it's the first expensive thing I bought myself after finishing school. I'd have been angry beyond words if I lost my panerai as well.

I can't really even describe how I feel right now. I mean, I think I'm over it, but I can't seem to shake this weird feeling I have. It's not fear or insecurity or anger. It's just an overall bad feeling...maybe this is the feeling of being victimized? Oh well, life goes on (luckily).

It does help to be talking with you guys. Besides you guys, the only other person that knows about what happened is my girlfriend. For some reason, I don't want to tell my family or friends...I guess I don't want them to worry or I don't want their sympathy. Maybe I don't want to be seen as a victim in the eye's of people that matter to me most? Again, for some reason, I feel a little bit of shame in all this. Or maybe I just want to forget about it all.

In any case, again, thanks for all the support guys, it really does help make me feel more normal.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:50 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cdmdriver
Jimmy,

Didn't you read the news? Arnold, has fired all of the police and released all of the violent criminals in an effort to balance our budget!
You know I read in the news about something like this. Something about many criminals are going to be release due to budget. That is really nuts.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:17 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by KraZy007
In any case, again, thanks for all the support guys, it really does help make me feel more normal.
Wait. No one said you were normal
Old 05-30-2009, 08:17 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In an ideal world where everybody was allowed to carry, a lowlife like that would think ten times before approaching you.
Given the MO the overwhelming odds are this was a druggie looking for quick cash or something he could sell for cash. You seriously think they weigh the probabilities before a robbery? Not likely. He was desperate and could easily have done something really bad. Sure some perps may be deterred by the thought of a potential victim being armed but the fact is way more than 50% of these types of muggings are druggies looking for cash and they're not thinking. Jimmy I'm glad you're OK. You may be luckier than you know.
Old 05-30-2009, 08:27 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I shudder somewhat when I read posts thinking that the victim having a gun would automatically make things better. I can tell you from experience that in that case it's very possible that the victim brandishing and attempting to use his/her firearm greatly raises the outcome of a fatality for the victim.

I love spaghetti westerns and Dirty Harry movies too, but you are dreaming if you think you have an advantage in a gunfight when a mugger already has a gun out, cocked, and pointed at you and you do not.

In most cases, you are better off just calmly giving the mugger what he wants and letting him scamper off into the night.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but it's much easier to think of oneself as a fearless gunslinger on the Internet. Most of you however, when confronted unawares, wouldn't even have time to find your gun, raise it and fire it. You'd probably be too caught off guard and scared, rightfully so.

I'm glad in this case, the victim drove away without any bodily harm. If he clumsily attempted to pull a gun on the assailant, there is a good chance he would've been shot.
Please understand that I carry a gun for self defense. I am by no means out there with a Dirty Harry complex. I have a license to carry a concealed weapon and I have decided to do just that. I have many "real" guns that I take to the range when I feel like target practice. I also think that things are much different from Coast to Coast. Not to knock California but you do seem to have your fair share of violent crimes even with a lot more gun restrictions than most states. I think that guns vs. no guns is a pissing match that none here want to debate. I respect your opinion, and you mine. I love my Porsche and so do you!!!!

Last edited by JDHertz11; 05-30-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:05 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by JDHertz11
Please understand that I carry a gun for self defense. I am by no means out there with a Dirty Harry complex. I have a license to carry a concealed weapon and I have decided to do just that. I have many "real" guns that I take to the range when I feel like target practice. I also think that things are much different from Coast to Coast. Not to knock California but you do seem to have your fair share of violent crimes even with a lot more gun restrictions than most states. I think that guns vs. no guns is a pissing match that none hear want to debate. I respect your opinion, and you mine. I love my Porsche and so do you!!!!
My apologies if something I wrote made this seem as if it were directed towards you or any gun owner, or gun ownership in general.

This is not about gun vs. no gun.

What it is, is recognizing carrying a concealed weapon on you is one thing. But winning a gunfight against an adversary who may have the advantage over you is another. In this particular scenario, the mugger had not only surprise on his side, but he already has the gun raised and pointed and cocked.

You may be a crack shot at the firing range, but I suspect that in the time it would take you to pull your gun out, raise it, unlatch the safety, point it at the mugger and fire it accurately, the mugger would've had time to react and shoot you many times.

So it's not about whether we should own a gun or not. To each his own. But it is about knowing that if you pull the gun when you are not the odds on favorite of winning the gunfight, that's a Dirty Harry mentality that could easily get you shot, if not killed.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:10 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by KraZy007
I mean, I think I'm over it,
Sorry, you will never be over it. Your head will be on a swivel from now on and you will be more conscience of you surroundings. Not a bad thing, just the after effects of such a traumatic incident. Hang in there....
Old 05-30-2009, 09:16 PM
mcpiaseczny
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimmy, I'm glad to hear you're OK. It makes me angry to hear about incidents like this, but it's inspiring when the victim rises above it the way you have.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:30 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you're okay... really tragic thing is the next guy might not be so lucky.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:34 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you are OK and there was no violence involved. Scary experience.

chuck
Old 05-30-2009, 10:01 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jimmy:

Glad you (and your watch) are okay!

Here's a thought. I have heard that carrying a 'dummy' wallet might work- put in a bunch of those blank credit cards that show up in the mail, along with a bunch of singles and some paper to make it feel 'real'.

If the perp realises he's been had and comes back for your real wallet, you'll be ready with the .357...

Cheers,

Paul.

Quick Reply: OT: Be safe out there guys, I'm lucky to be alive.