Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Be safe out there guys, I'm lucky to be alive.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 01:51 PM
JDHertz11
Race Car

Received 67 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadeye
I have a CCP and usually carry. It poses and interesting dilemma, however, in light of the recent story about the pharmacist who shot that dirt bag who robbed him at gunpoint. Do you shoot the creep in the back as he is running away (as we are most tempted to do) or do we chalk it up to experience and move on? Perhaps a shot through the door into his chest would get his attention, but with a muzzle pointed at your squash you could end up the big loser.
As for deserate times, there are so many programs, handouts, shelters etc. to help people who want to be helped. Someone willing to rob you at gun point for whats in your wallet is not trying to feed his family.
I think that the pharmacist did the right thing initially but after the perp went down he shot him 5 more times. Personally I think that's where he went wrong. Had he shot him one time and called the police he would probably be OK in the eyes of the legal system. Like they say "Shoot to kill".
Old 05-30-2009, 01:54 PM
CornerCarver
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jimmy,

Glad to hear you are ok. Scary world we live in.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:13 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I shudder somewhat when I read posts thinking that the victim having a gun would automatically make things better. I can tell you from experience that in that case it's very possible that the victim brandishing and attempting to use his/her firearm greatly raises the outcome of a fatality for the victim.

I love spaghetti westerns and Dirty Harry movies too, but you are dreaming if you think you have an advantage in a gunfight when a mugger already has a gun out, cocked, and pointed at you and you do not.

In most cases, you are better off just calmly giving the mugger what he wants and letting him scamper off into the night.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but it's much easier to think of oneself as a fearless gunslinger on the Internet. Most of you however, when confronted unawares, wouldn't even have time to find your gun, raise it and fire it. You'd probably be too caught off guard and scared, rightfully so.

I'm glad in this case, the victim drove away without any bodily harm. If he clumsily attempted to pull a gun on the assailant, there is a good chance he would've been shot.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:13 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry to hear about your sad story. I’m not sure if it’s a sign of the current economy or more a commentary on parts our society. It’s appalling that there are those who are so brazen to attack another with little or no thought or fear of the consequences.

My wife and two close friends were all mugged at gun point and another was attacked by three guys at once, all on separate occasions in different areas of LA. In three of the instances the attacks happened outside their homes after getting out of their cars. In my wife's case the guy was after more than her purse. Short version of the story is she that she was fortunate and lucky enough to catch the guy off guard by knocking him off balance with her bag and she ran. He chased her into her gated yard, but she was able to get her (female) neighbor’s attention and help. They called 911 telling them an armed attacker was inside their gated yard. They waited more than two hours for the police to arrive.

The guy was eventually caught a week later after my wife and neighbor posted a description of the attacker around the neighborhood. Turns out he had attacked several women around the same time, but the police hadn't warned anyone to be on the lookout. It wasn't until the victims put the pieces together that they there was any action taken.

My wife was never approached by the prosecution or asked to testify against her attacker after she picked his photo out of a mug shot book. She definitely got the impression there was little effort made to put him away.

I hope the guy with your wallet and phone gets what’s coming to him one way or another.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:20 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I shudder somewhat when I read posts thinking that the victim having a gun would automatically make things better. I can tell you from experience that in that case it's very possible that the victim brandishing and attempting to use his/her firearm greatly raises the outcome of a fatality for the victim.

I love spaghetti westerns and Dirty Harry movies too, but you are dreaming if you think you have an advantage in a gunfight when a mugger already has a gun out, cocked, and pointed at you and you do not.

In most cases, you are better off just calmly giving the mugger what he wants and letting him scamper off into the night.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but it's much easier to think of oneself as a fearless gunslinger on the Internet. Most of you however, when confronted unawares, wouldn't even have time to find your gun, raise it and fire it. You'd probably be too caught off guard and scared, rightfully so.

I'm glad in this case, the victim drove away without any bodily harm. If he clumsily attempted to pull a gun on the assailant, there is a good chance he would've been shot.
don't shudder... it'll be OK.
I hear what you are saying and agree with your thinking.

Obviously the criminal had the advantage in this case and the victim would be mistaken to fight it. However, if there is a chance that any ordinary citizen might be carrying, the miscreants might think twice.

Thieves are lazy and will go for the easiest target. That is why they steal instead of being a productive part of society.

You cannot make wolves not be wolves. You can arm the sheep
Old 05-30-2009, 02:24 PM
MrRoboto
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for the support. This happened literally two blocks from my home in Emeryville. I thought emeryville was relatively safe, but I guess not. The audacity of the mugger surprises me too, it happened right in front of a well-lit starbucks right next to a huge apartment complex! During the day, this area is filled with regulars and business people going about their day.

So many different scenarios play through my head, but I do think I got out of that situation with one of the best, if not the best outcome I could have hoped for. I'm still angry though...but a little embarrassed for not being smarter and for letting myself be a victim. I'm just really glad my girlfriend wasn't with me during the ordeal!

Cactus, that's crazy!

And you know what, thinking he was just trying to make ends meet made this a little easier to accept, but yeah you guys are probably right about his motives. Now I'm angrier than before.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Michael S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jimmy,

I just read this... Man, glad you are ok! And, I think you are right... The outcome was as positive as was possible. Not sure even if you had been carrying that it would have been worth pulling a weapon in that instance.

I have an old Motorola Razor that you are welcome to if you are still looking for a phone.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:51 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 469 Posts

Glad you're still here Jimmy, it can be a scary world.

It's very disturbing to think of how many people out there, both low lifes and good people, are carrying guns these days.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Where's Charlie Bronson when you need him?
Old 05-30-2009, 03:15 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
It's very disturbing to think of how many people out there, both low lifes and good people, are carrying guns these days.
I'm the opposite of disturbed to know that good people are carrying guns these days. It makes me happy.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:28 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have never (and hope I never will) had to use my weapon in anger, and as I said in the earlier post, in this instance it probably would not have made a difference, but I would not want to bring a knife to a gun fight.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:51 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Sad stuff. Being victimized is hard. But surviving it and having a good attitude is better. The CCW laws in California are very tight. Too tight some might say.
Originally Posted by TX Silver
I thought that parts of California were already like that...
Hey, here in Los Angeles we're doing pretty well. We have "only" had 117 homicides so far this year. Last year we were at 160 at this time. Back in the late eighties early nineties we topped out in the 700 and 800s per year; sad stuff!
Old 05-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,014 Likes on 1,781 Posts

Jimmy, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. It's a wacky world out there. Situations like these help us remember what's important in life and to be grateful for what we have. It was clearly beyond your control and the damage was minimal...take the good with the bad. Glad you're okay.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:57 PM
techsis
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad that you made it back here to share the story. I was robbed at gunpoint in Richmond VA about 15 years ago and I still shudder at the way things might have ended. I can still remember the gun pushed to the back of my head and then the crack as the jack-*** pistol whipped me. Pissed yes, but thankful to the guy upstairs for letting me keep my head.

You will go through some emotional phases with stuff like this...but keep in mind that this guy will probably end up dead on the street.

Here are some things you MUST DO!!!

1) File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where it was stolen, this proves to
credit providers you were diligent, and is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

2) Open a fraud alert with the credit agencies. The jack-*** might try to open an account with your info, so be proactive and put the stops in place.

3) If he got your keys, change your locks immediately.

4) Contact your DMV and report you dl stolen

5) Notify your bank to flag your account for extra verification.

Most likely the guy took the cash and will dump the rest.

The phone can be traced by the EDCN, but I do not think that the ATT will help.

Here are some of the number you need to call:
Equifax: 1-800-525-6285
Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742
Trans Union: 1-800-680-7289
Social Security Administration (fraudline): 1-800-269-0271

Take care & glad you made it home!

John
Old 05-30-2009, 05:20 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by KraZy007
Hey guys, thanks for the support. This happened literally two blocks from my home in Emeryville. I thought emeryville was relatively safe, but I guess not. The audacity of the mugger surprises me too, it happened right in front of a well-lit starbucks right next to a huge apartment complex! During the day, this area is filled with regulars and business people going about their day.

So many different scenarios play through my head, but I do think I got out of that situation with one of the best, if not the best outcome I could have hoped for. I'm still angry though...but a little embarrassed for not being smarter and for letting myself be a victim. I'm just really glad my girlfriend wasn't with me during the ordeal!

Cactus, that's crazy!

And you know what, thinking he was just trying to make ends meet made this a little easier to accept, but yeah you guys are probably right about his motives. Now I'm angrier than before.

Glad to hear you are fine. I grew up in the East Bay Oakland hills and unfortunately some areas have become a cesspool of humanity ... very sad.

Quick Reply: OT: Be safe out there guys, I'm lucky to be alive.