Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odometer broken...I'm goin' in...question first.

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:11 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Odometer broken...I'm goin' in...question first.

Bad news - odometer stopped working. Good news - I was literally watching it when it happened...and it was like .5 miles from the house, so I have no "lost" mileage issue. Another kinda neat/interesting/weird thing is that my mileage was 49,998 when it broke...which is why I was watching the odometer pretty close, I was gonna take a phone picture of the 50,000 mile moment.

I think it happened when I put the car in reverse and backed out of a parking space. From my research on here, it sounds like the odometer gear broke, so I have both gears on order from odometergears.com and will start the repair when they arrive.

Question: I've read the most excellent DIY on p-car.com, and want ask of anyone has any tricks/tips on removing the speedometer from the dash? I have no doughts that I can fix this problem, but as you know, sometimes the hardest part is getting the things out in your hands...without scratching things up. I know that the speedo just prys straight out of the dash, so I will just need to be VERY careful and go slow. Would heating it with a blowdryer help 'loosen' it's grip...it's been in there since 1997, so it ain't gonna want to come out easy. Comments?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:23 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile

Would it help you out if I shipped you some doughts?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:38 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To get the speedo out, take a cloth-covered screwdriver and gently pry it out starting on the side adjacent to the tach. Use the bezel around the tach as leverage to get part of the speedo out. Once it's out about a centimeter or so, you can use your fingers to get the rest of the gauge out. I wouldn't use a blowdryer to heat things up.

I would also cover the gauge bezels in protective tape to ensure you don't get any scratches. While you're in there I would replace the bulbs...

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by c993k
Would it help you out if I shipped you some doughts?
If that's the worst mispell I have, I'm pretty happy...my spelling sucks big-time.

BTW, shipping me some doughnuts would actually be a nice gesture...don't know how good they'll go with the beers (the DIY calls for 3 beers...who am I to deviate), but would still be a nice gesture...cause I love doughnuts
Old 05-26-2009, 11:41 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JasonF
While you're in there I would replace the bulbs...
From the PET, I see that there are (2) different bulbs used in the instruments...a 0.9W and 1.5W. However, there is no indication as to which bulbs go where. Do you know which bulbs are used in the speedometer? Are they the same ones that are used for the clock?
Old 05-26-2009, 11:52 AM
JasonF
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
Are these the same bulbs as used for the clock?
Bulbs for night illumination are the same for all gauges. The various "idiot lights" use a different bulb, with a higher wattage IIRC.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:39 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

It took me less than a minute to remove my speedo. I took the clock out first and pushed the speedo out from behind, if memory serves correctly.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:55 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I took the clock out first and pushed the speedo out from behind, if memory serves correctly.
I would think that the clock would be the same difficulty as the speedo. I know it's smaller, maybe that makes it a bit easier. If I have problems getting the speedo out, I may try the clock next, and push the speedo from behind.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:15 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
I would think that the clock would be the same difficulty as the speedo. I know it's smaller, maybe that makes it a bit easier. If I have problems getting the speedo out, I may try the clock next, and push the speedo from behind.
More room to pry with the clock being on the end and away from the steering wheel.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:09 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just replaced a burned-out bulb in my speedo (hint: Mercedes and Porsche use the same bulb; the Porsche ones are -- hope you're sitting down -- $12 each. The MB's are $4 each).

Anyway, what you do is take a butter knife, slide is gently under the rubber grommet holding the speedo in, and gently pull it toward you while holding it against the speedo (you don't want it slipping out). When the speedo starts to move, switch to the other side. Repeat until you can grasp it with your hands and pull it out.

All in all, a 10-second job.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
I just replaced a burned-out bulb in my speedo (hint: Mercedes and Porsche use the same bulb; the Porsche ones are -- hope you're sitting down -- $12 each. The MB's are $4 each).

Anyway, what you do is take a butter knife, slide is gently under the rubber grommet holding the speedo in, and gently pull it toward you while holding it against the speedo (you don't want it slipping out). When the speedo starts to move, switch to the other side. Repeat until you can grasp it with your hands and pull it out.

All in all, a 10-second job.
+1 .... the technique I prefer too: pry under the grommet, and remove it with the speedo. Also, as Gonzilla sez, clock first if the speedo resists at all.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Follow the DIY exactly and it'll be a breeze...
Old 05-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

As anticipated, getting the speedo out of the dash is gonna be the hardest part. Ok...so does the outer rubber ring/bezel come off with the speedo OR does the ring come off first, then the speedo comes out. When I slide the butter knife under the rubber ring, I don't feel any kind of "lip" or anything on the speedo to get a hold off.

What am I doing wrong?

NEVERMIND...I got the clock out, now I'm goin' after the speedo!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:22 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good to know info...
Old 05-26-2009, 10:03 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

when you put the speedo back in put a little dish soap on the rubber ring and it will slide in easily.

Quick Reply: Odometer broken...I'm goin' in...question first.