Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone selling a pair of factory RS splitters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 11:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
Mark, are you referring to the RS (2 piece) or the RSCS (3 Piece ot GT2)?
RS.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:45 PM
Ed Eubanks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark/Ninjabones:

Do I understand correctly that the factory splitters hold up better than the fiberglas ones? After about 25 days at VIR, CMP and RR the undersides of my MA Shaw splitters are pretty beat up. They're wearing through and starting to chunk ... if you know what I mean.

Or should I just consider the splitters to be a consumable, like the front rotors?

Thanks

Ed
Old 05-27-2009, 12:00 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Mark, I was purely researching the difference between the 2-pc and 3-pc splitters and ran across this e-bay sale in hong kong... Don't ask how that happened. But check it out, it seems a lot cheaper than what you've found thus far. Not sure, if they're the OEM version or not... It might be worth a peak anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com.my/95-97-Porsche...mZ170308939661
Old 05-27-2009, 01:39 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jungleboy
Hey Mark, I was purely researching the difference between the 2-pc and 3-pc splitters and ran across this e-bay sale in hong kong... Don't ask how that happened. But check it out, it seems a lot cheaper than what you've found thus far. Not sure, if they're the OEM version or not... It might be worth a peak anyway.

I think those are fiberglass Techart knock-offs.

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
IIRC, the factory splitters were $1,200 at one time.
Come on. Are you serious??? I'm putting this in the "they can't seriously charge that much for that" file, which has been getting very large lately.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:22 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RS splitters are $347 each from Sunset.
So like $694 for both sides?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Default RS factory splitters worth the extra cost....

I have had them on the car for 7 years??? Still looking good although the paint is slowly being sand blasted off (The areas that are not covered in 3M).
Old 05-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ed Eubanks
Mark/Ninjabones:

Do I understand correctly that the factory splitters hold up better than the fiberglas ones? After about 25 days at VIR, CMP and RR the undersides of my MA Shaw splitters are pretty beat up. They're wearing through and starting to chunk ... if you know what I mean.

Or should I just consider the splitters to be a consumable, like the front rotors?

Thanks

Ed
The fiberglass ones have less "give" than the factory ones. I think the FG ones are fine for a street car, but less desirable for a race car that may go agricultural every once in a while. On the other hand, if you do whack a factory splitter, the cost is much higher.

Stay away from that douchebag seller. If you look closely, those are Aerokit 1 splitters, not RS splitters as advertised. I went round and round with him and my credit card company. He said that he sent what was pictured, which he did, but they are not RS splitters.

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I think those are fiberglass Techart knock-offs.

Come on. Are you serious??? I'm putting this in the "they can't seriously charge that much for that" file, which has been getting very large lately.
I might be mistaken but I thought they were well north of $1,000 at one time.

Originally Posted by dcdude68
So like $694 for both sides?
Yep.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 05-27-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Smile

[QUOTE=Ed Eubanks;6598904]Mark/Ninjabones:

IMHO, front splitters should NOT be considered consumables. I bought the factory splitters from Gert 7? years ago...they are nearly good as new. They have had a few off road excursions. I have some pics somewhere....

The fiberglass splitters, Hong Kong included, are crapo...they crack and generally just dont last.

Front rotors, if you go to the Alcon slotted rotors and new hats (I believe Alcon is correct), you'll replace rotors far less...they are about $700 a set, maybe more, but they wont crack as the factory rotors do under heat/track stress.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:58 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

How can I tell which one is on my car? Obviously, I didn't put it on or I would know.

Last edited by pcarhombre; 03-22-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Default You will be able to tell...the factory splitters have...

air slats just like stock 993 cars and they are made of polyurethane. The polyurethane splitters are a wee bit more flexible than fiberglass. +++You will be able to find a part number on the factory splitters....

The fiberglass splitters usually have holes in place of the factory slats and they are hard...fiberglass.

If you are on a tight budget, you can get the look cheap in fiberglass. And isn't that what it's all about, how you look
Old 05-27-2009, 05:27 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Stay away from that douchebag seller. If you look closely, those are Aerokit 1 splitters, not RS splitters as advertised. I went round and round with him and my credit card company. He said that he sent what was pictured, which he did, but they are not RS splitters.
Yikes I didn't mean to steer you wrong! If I had known, I surely wouldn't have suggested it! I apologize! Sorry to hear that you've already had a bad experience with that guy.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:29 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Hey mark, how come you're not going for the clubsport version with the built in canards? Would it not provide more of the aggressive down force that you might want?
Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Yikes I didn't mean to steer you wrong! If I had known, I surely wouldn't have suggested it! I apologize! Sorry to hear that you've already had a bad experience with that guy.
No problem at all.

Hey mark, how come you're not going for the clubsport version with the built in canards? Would it not provide more of the aggressive down force that you might want?
For higher speed stuff, I want less downforce in the rear, and less aero drag, especially in combination with my 3.8 RS spoiler (not wing, but spoiler. The rear aero element has been removed and replaced with a large aluminum deck). In the faster corners, the last thing I want is more oversteer.
Old 05-27-2009, 11:21 PM
future
Banned

+1,000,000.00 these products are S41T ... Ok yes they are not RS clone but from the pictures you should have known better ... All be that and as cheap as they are, the fit is very poor in the slit eyed Chinese quality fashion as westerners we have grown accustomed to – Support the west and **** all these middle easy scum bags – Hell and lets blow the **** out of Korea whilst we are at it, Obama it’s time you took a leaf out of G. Bush’s stance rather than ***** footing about with your equality issues (the soft ******) … Are you an American or not?!?!? What does he stand for?!? He is about as useless as the **** we have in the UK, yes Gordon Brown – Brown as in S41T his pants! Worse than the ******* TAWT Tony Blair we had as a predecessor

Sorry for my rant

Perfect implosion = Fat Man … It’s about time the US dropped some more
Old 05-27-2009, 11:42 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by future
+1,000,000.00 these products are S41T ... Ok yes they are not RS clone but from the pictures you should have known better ... All be that and as cheap as they are, the fit is very poor in the slit eyed Chinese quality fashion as westerners we have grown accustomed to – Support the west and **** all these middle easy scum bags – Hell and lets blow the **** out of Korea whilst we are at it, Obama it’s time you took a leaf out of G. Bush’s stance rather than ***** footing about with your equality issues (the soft ******) … Are you an American or not?!?!? What does he stand for?!? He is about as useless as the **** we have in the UK, yes Gordon Brown – Brown as in S41T his pants! Worse than the ******* TAWT Tony Blair we had as a predecessor

Sorry for my rant

Perfect implosion = Fat Man … It’s about time the US dropped some more
Have you watched, "The 25th Hour"?

Andreas

Quick Reply: Is anyone selling a pair of factory RS splitters?