Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is anyone selling a pair of factory RS splitters?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 11:46 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL ... I'm waiting for the 26th mate
Old 05-28-2009, 12:39 AM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
No problem at all.

For higher speed stuff, I want less downforce in the rear, and less aero drag, especially in combination with my 3.8 RS spoiler (not wing, but spoiler. The rear aero element has been removed and replaced with a large aluminum deck). In the faster corners, the last thing I want is more oversteer.
Got it, so you've induced some oversteer with that aluminum deck/rear aero element removal and now don't want any more with a more aggresive front splitter... Learning more of what affects handling everyday
Old 05-28-2009, 08:32 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Eubanks
Mark/Ninjabones:

Do I understand correctly that the factory splitters hold up better than the fiberglas ones? After about 25 days at VIR, CMP and RR the undersides of my MA Shaw splitters are pretty beat up. They're wearing through and starting to chunk ... if you know what I mean.

Or should I just consider the splitters to be a consumable, like the front rotors?

Thanks

Ed
Having owned two 993s with various front splitters (including stock, factory aerokit 1b, factory GT2, and two sets of MA Shaw RS fronts) I can make a reasonable comparison based on my own experience.

The factory GT2 and aerokit 1b splitters are made of a polyurethane resin that is highly deformable and resilient. The mounting tabs are robust and able to withstand a lot of abuse. The splitters tolerate a lot of scraping and bumping, which is inevitable on a lowered street car or track car. The factory GT2 front splitters lasted 14 years on my current car (which is tracked frequently, including a few agricultural adventures). It took high-speed impact at turn 10 at the Glen to really screw them up... but even then two of the three pieces remained pristine and the impacted side was usable (creative use of duct tape).

The MA Shaw RS splitters are constructed well (for fiberglass), but require a lot of prepping before paint. They are extremely rigid and thus not able to withstand abuse very well. Additionally, the mounting tabs are somewhat fragile. My first set of MA Shaw RS splitters lasted exactly one track day. The first day out I went over the low curbing at turn 1 at NJMP and drove over two rubber cones (to avoid a collision) and both splitters cracked along the seam horizontally along the front lip of the splitter. I am 99% confident that the polyurethane resin splitters would have laughed at this subtle impact.

I made the incorrect decision to purchase a second set of MA Shaw splitters and immediately cracked one of the mounting tabs on installation about two weeks ago. Fortunately, I found a really cool and extremely strong plastic putty that fixed the problem (incidentally, the same product I'm going to experiment with to repair the broken tab issue on the RS sideskirts).

When (not if) it is time to buy another set of front splitters, I'll buy OEM.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by future
+1,000,000.00 these products are S41T ... Ok yes they are not RS clone but from the pictures you should have known better ... All be that and as cheap as they are, the fit is very poor in the slit eyed Chinese quality fashion as westerners we have grown accustomed to – Support the west and **** all these middle easy scum bags – Hell and lets blow the **** out of Korea whilst we are at it, Obama it’s time you took a leaf out of G. Bush’s stance rather than ***** footing about with your equality issues (the soft ******) … Are you an American or not?!?!? What does he stand for?!? He is about as useless as the **** we have in the UK, yes Gordon Brown – Brown as in S41T his pants! Worse than the ******* TAWT Tony Blair we had as a predecessor

Sorry for my rant

Perfect implosion = Fat Man … It’s about time the US dropped some more
Slit eyed Chinese quality?? Future, please click on the link in my sig to understand why I find this comment to be completely inappropriate, the off topic political rant notwithstanding. Thanks.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:24 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

future...

Your reference/comment is completely out of line on this forum. Such racist comments have no place here.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:57 PM
Ed Eubanks
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks to both Ninjabones and Mark

Ninjabones:

Thanks for that last detail. That info was exactly what I was looking for.

Mark:

Thanks for your voice of civility in the face of insult. To me that is the mark of a true gentleman. And, if I might add, quite effective.

Best to both of you

Ed

Quick Reply: Is anyone selling a pair of factory RS splitters?