Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpet removal - steamer question !

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 02:04 PM
Flav9xx
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carpet removal - steamer question !

Hi,

I am about to change my interior color from blue to black on my '96 Targa.
By the way, I am putting hardback sport seats and full leather interior. I hope it is going to be great !

I have searched the forum concerning carpet removal. It seems to be a PITA to do it. I just want to remove the carpet, not the sound material. I have already bought the new carpets so I cannot go back now

In one message I noticed that someone used a steamer to do it. But nobody else posted about this technique.
Can anyone tell me if he gave it a try please ?

I do not want to buy a steamer if it does not work fine...

Thanks

Flav

Last edited by Flav9xx; 05-25-2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: p
Old 05-25-2009, 04:24 PM
Kcreager1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no experience and cannot help you at all - BUT....I wish you luck and hope that you post often on this topic. I have read many of the threads on carpet removal and think that the steamer threads look to be the best route. I am interested in how well this goes - I would love to do the same.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:32 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just removed and replaced my carpet. Forget the steamer use 3M Adhesive Remover. Cuts the glue as fast as you put it on. Also will remove the carpet from the sound deadening material without ripping. Good luck this is a job, but the results are worth it.

Mike
Old 05-25-2009, 04:44 PM
Flav9xx
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Arena993 : how do you use the 3M adhesive remover ? do you put some directly on the glue junction, between carpet and sound deadening material ? did you use a brush ?
How much time to take all the carpet off ?
Old 05-25-2009, 06:07 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by Flav9xx
Arena993 : how do you use the 3M adhesive remover ? do you put some directly on the glue junction, between carpet and sound deadening material ? did you use a brush ?
How much time to take all the carpet off ?
It is a liquid and use it directly on the glue junction(between carpet and sound deadening material). Allyou do is squeeze it out of the can. It removes thw glue the instant you put it on.

Mike
Old 05-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Here is a pic of what to get

Last edited by Arena993; 12-21-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:16 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Mike, so did you leave sound deadening in the car and went with the new carpet on top of it? Did you end up using Gahh? If so, do you have the old floor pieces available (the ones not glued down)? Or are they pretty bad now?

What did you use to put the new carpet down?
Old 05-25-2009, 06:25 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by nile13
Mike, so did you leave sound deadening in the car and went with the new carpet on top of it? Did you end up using Gahh? If so, do you have the old floor pieces available (the ones not glued down)? Or are they pretty bad now?

What did you use to put the new carpet down?
t

I left all the sound deadening in the car. I glued the new carpet to the original sound deadening. I used GAHH and bought black Sliverknit carpet (OEM). All the old pieces are wasted, but I bought a roll of the same carpet for other reasons. I will be sending some pieces from that roll along with the rear seats when I fianlly get done. I have been covered up with the car right now and will be ble to get them out next week along with some new carpet pieces. I used 3M high tack adhesive spray.

Mike
Old 05-25-2009, 07:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, thanks for the info!

No hurry, take time. Depending on whether we close on the condo we're buying, I'll be here in Cambridge for another months, so timing is of no particular essence

PS. If you don't mind, please let me know what the Gahh kit pricing ended up being, whether it included all the pieces and how you like the quality compared to original carpets in the car. I'm still considering the whole kit.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Originally Posted by nile13
Mike, thanks for the info!

No hurry, take time. Depending on whether we close on the condo we're buying, I'll be here in Cambridge for another months, so timing is of no particular essence

PS. If you don't mind, please let me know what the Gahh kit pricing ended up being, whether it included all the pieces and how you like the quality compared to original carpets in the car. I'm still considering the whole kit.
Look at this https://rennlist.com/forums/6595299-post1.html I just posted. Shows the new carpet. The quality is great. It comes with every piece you need. IMHO do the kit.

Mike
Old 05-25-2009, 09:32 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, looking good! Can you PM me the price of the kit?

Alos, I love these RUF wheels!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:39 PM
leeshephard
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Mike

I replaced all the carpet in my 993 last year and was told of the steamer technique by a highly respected company here in the uk, Southbound trimmers http://www.southboundtrimmers.com/ It worked out really well for me as I too was able to remove all the carpet without tearing the sound deadening at all..I just aimed the steam at the carpet/deading junction and pulled.

I asked Southbound for the 'special' glue that Porsche used to stick the carpet in originally but they said to just use a contact adhesive like evo-stik, I used the time bond version which allowed me time to reposition the carpet once stuck down.

Regards

Lee
Old 05-26-2009, 06:18 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Lee whatever works is fine. I probably shouldn't have said forget the steamer. I tried that method a few years back and didn't like how wet everything got. We now know 2 methods that work.

Mike
Old 05-26-2009, 07:41 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

One question I have, actually - does Porsche or anyone else sells the foam that goes under carpet?

Also, a shop in Florida I was talking to a week ago mentioned that they use some infrared heating machine to soften glue to remove carpets. They weren't sure what it was by swore by how effective it is, and they mostly restore older 911s.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:42 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

One question I have, actually - does Porsche or anyone else sells the foam that goes under carpet?

Also, a shop in Florida I was talking to a week ago mentioned that they use some infrared heating machine to soften glue to remove carpets. They weren't sure what it was by swore by how effective it is, and they mostly restore older 911s.

Quick Reply: Carpet removal - steamer question !