Door locking problem- question

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Door locking problem- question

All:

If I take the door panels off, can I see the entire door locking mechanism working? When I lock my doors, I hear the actuators clunk, then they clunk again, and the horn beeps. The doors do not lock. Several searches have revealed the following possibilities;

1- one of the actuators is sticking, or

2- the car thinks something is open (trunk lid, engine lid or gas filler door).

Re: 1. The actuators make a strong sounding clunk. I am tempted to replace them both, but am not sure if this is the problem, hence my question about being able to see them functioning if I press the remote or switch on the console with the door panels removed?

Re: 2. I opened the trunk and the light came on. so the switch appears to work. I checked the engine lid and gas filler door and both seem firmly closed. Is there a way to check if this is the problem?

Open to any other suggestions!

Thanks in advance,

Paul.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:26 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

All:

I forgot to mention- my suspicion regarding the actuators is due to the fact that the drivers side door locked the other day and wouldn't unlock- there was no resistance against the trigger on the outside door handle. I opened the passengers side, reached over and opened the door using the inside handle. The outside handle worked after that.

Basically, I am hesitant to spend $200 and half a day to replace my actuators unless I am sure that's the problem.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

If the horn beeps something is open, or the car thinks it's open. My first bet would be to short the door, & trunk switches & see what one causes the alarm to work, then replace it.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Are the switches that turn on the courtesy lights the same as those that enable the locking mechanism? I.e. if the lights go out when I close the hood, engine lid and doors, the switches are working correctly?

Thanks in advance,

Paul.

Last edited by Paul K; 05-24-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Update:

Took the door panel off. Hit the remote. Door locked. And stayed locked. No beeping. Put the panel back on. Hit the remote. Beep! Dang it. I fiddled with the actuator and when I push it up, the horn beeps- not sure why. It appears the actuator is bad, so I'm going to replace it.

Will report back when I install the new one.

Paul.

Quick Reply: Door locking problem- question