993 Forum 1995-1998

Infant Seat

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't let anyone tell you that one cannot safely fit a rear-facing infant seat in the back of a 993, and the same goes for forward-facing child seat, and then a booster when your child(ren) are ready for that step.

My experience, with two children now, has been that the rear facing Graco Snugride infant seat (or equivalent model if that has been discontinued) fits perfectly behind the passenger seat. I used the base, naturally, and would never dream of making any alterations to the chair. It strapped in very securely, using a piece of pool-noodle to ensure that the chair had the right horizontal angle. I found the child safety expert at my local police station most helpful, by the way. Many hospitals also have experts on hand willing to help you install child seats.

Once my boys had outgrown the rear-facing seat, I bought Britax Roundabouts. They fitted perfectly (again, no modification needed or recommended). To tighten the rear seat belt I used 'Mighty Tighty's.

Right now I have one boy in his Britax Roundabout, and his older brother in Recaro Vivo booster. It is sturdy, safe and seems very comfortable.

For shorter journeys, my wife can still fit in the front seat, and to protect the seat backs I have installed sturdy plastic/rubber shields purchased very inexpensively from Babies R Us.

Conclusion: My 993 is my daily driver, and has been now for 13 years. I do the school run twice a day with both my boys, and have never heard so much as a peep of complaint - even when they see their friends in the back of huge and luxurious SUVs peppered with DVD screens etc. In fact, the smaller size and proximity of the children to the driver has meant that riding with one baby in his rear-facing infant seat behind the passenger seat, I could reach over and sooth him whilst driving , or at a light. I can still with great ease hand them drink bottles (no snacks allowed - pretty much the only limitation imposed on my young passengers).

So, my message to all 993 parent-owners is to enjoy your car as much as possible, at least until your children start complaining too loudly about being cramped in the rear seats. By then they may even be eligible to drive themselves!

My only caveat: I would not purchase a used (eBay) car seat unless I was very confident that it has not been involved in a crash, and that any recall/upgrade had been performed. Why try to save money on something as paramount as ones child(ren)s safety?

Good luck and bon voyage.

Last edited by Reuben; 04-09-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:42 PM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Reuben,

Other posts on this subject talk about the 'hidden' anchor point behind the rear deck (originally desinged for a tether but not put into production). From your photos, doesn't look like you needed to go that route. Was the Roundabaout/Mighty Tighty combo sufficient to prevent any forward tip-over motion of the seat or did you do something diffrerent to mimic the tether strap function?

Looking forward to soon getting my 11 month old into the 993.

Kevin
Old 05-23-2009, 06:26 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

First off, infant in the front seat, forward or rear, with or without airbag is a bad idea. That said, search on threads by JPS with carseat or baby seat...I've asked/posted on about all of them.

Cabs are tough, but coupes do have a hidden spot for securing the tether once forward facing. Not sure if they are used for rearward facing.

Checkout carseatdata.org and thecarseatlady.com for info on proper installation in general, and the links you find here for specifics. Remember that this is the only thing that is protecting your little one (congrats btw) if everything goes pearshaped, so be sure you get it right. Installing a car seat is easy. Installing it correctly is tough.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:33 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 for the Britax Roundabout in the back seat. That is what I have used successfully. However, the base pushes up against the seatbelt bolt to where it is not possible to squeeze it perfectly in flush. But I think that this is as good as its going to get in terms of fit in the 993...until booster
Old 05-23-2009, 10:07 PM
Reuben
Addict
Rennlist Member

I believe that the tether is only for '96+ models (mine is an early '95). But using the Mighty Tighty truly anchored the Britax Roundabout in place. It does not move an inch, and feels rock-solid.
Old 05-24-2009, 01:00 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The difficult part of an install in the rear is getting the belt properly tensioned, esp with Euro-spec cabs that only have lap belts.

I haven't had a chance to use one but use of the Mighty-tite is controversial and in any case you should check the condition of the seat belt regularly if you use it (also note supposed voidance of Britax warranty).
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=6560
http://cpsafety.com/articles/SeatBeltTite.aspx
Old 05-24-2009, 01:32 AM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I was gonna try a Sparco seat for my youngest (see RL thread "carbon fiber's for babies!") ...

... then I remembered his siblings never got me an adult seat for their 911, so fuhgeddaboudit!

Old 05-24-2009, 01:42 PM
993USMC
Racer

I had a Britax Roundabout as well. Worked like a charm and the tan fabric matched the interior well.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:50 AM
jclanin
Rennlist Member

Man - this place rocks. Thanks so much for all the helpful advice!

JC
Old 05-27-2009, 12:06 AM
bobesser
Pro

Graco makes an infant seat that is good to 30# or so. I used a Graco that was only good to about 20# and it fit fine. The newer Graco has the same dimensions. I had to used it without the permanent mount base. If I were to do it over again, I would used the Graco.

This link is what I have now:

Here is the full story.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...seat-done.html

I have recently turned it to forward facing and regained full use of the front seat.

Bob

Quick Reply: Infant Seat