Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

RS spotted in Santa Monica *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 03:48 PM
rivierablueM002
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Calvin, the 993 rs does not have any 'chip guard' either on the sills or under the arches, this was a weight saving measure from the factory, it is known as underseal in the UK and is omitted from these areas.
Old 05-12-2012, 07:44 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks again
Old 05-13-2012, 12:18 AM
Tango Foxtrot
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another of Jerry's car
Attached Images  
Old 05-13-2012, 01:10 AM
Shake
Instructor

Probably getting its smog "done" lol
Old 05-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Jetzeus
Advanced

Canyon...I belive it's in the hangar complex just south of Atlantic Aviation.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:05 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The Rivi Blue RS is the real deal. The owne, Peter is a Swedish gentleman who shipped the car to the US where he can keep it and drive it here for a year. He brought the car to the R Gruppe Treffen event that we had last weekend in Solvang. Awesome car, and he drives the snot out of it. He also brought the car to Car's & Coffee in Irvine yesterday.

I did not read the previous 4 pages in this thread, sorry if i've duplicated.

Nick

PS We had about 115 cars at our event, mostly early longhood 911's with some "sports purpose" theme to them, and far and away this was my 20 year old son's favorite car.

Last edited by NickyP; 04-29-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:11 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Nick-- Always nice to see a blue RS on American soil, in addition to the one that's the subject of the OP.
Do you have any interior photos?
Originally Posted by NickyP

Car's & Coffee in Irvine yesterday.
My friend, Chris, routinely photographs that C&C. Hopefully we'll see Irvine shots on his blog soon: digitaldtour.com.

Yesterday he blogged a May 5th gathering: "2012 RGruppe Solvang Treffen."
Click each image to open the high-resolution originals:
Originally Posted by digitalDTour
Posted on May 12, 2012

I had been invited by one of the members from the RGruppe (Porsche car club) to drive up to Solvang on Saturday May 5, so my wife and I pack up the Carrera, and head North on the 101 freeway. When we arrived, I knew as soon as I pulled into the parking lot that the afternoon was going to be amazing…

an ultra rare European only model, 1996 Porsche 993 Carrera RS.

Last edited by curve lover; 05-13-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:30 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by curve lover

My friend, Chris, routinely photographs that C&C. Hopefully we'll see Irvine shots on his blog soon: digitaldtour.com.

Not only did Chris capture the C&C, but he loved RS blue so much he made it his homepage banner

Old 06-10-2012, 12:54 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up interior pix!

Is the blue purse ROW? Tequipment?
Originally Posted by curve lover

Nick-- Do you have any interior photos?

My friend, Chris, photographs C&C Irvine on his blog: digitaldtour.com.
Click on below photos for their high-resolution orginals.
From his "A stranger in a strange land" blog:
Originally Posted by digitaldtour.com

Saturday morning saw many of the Porsche faithful return after their previous weekend’s RGruppe Treffen event in Solvang, California. The discussions that morning focused on personal accounts from the previous weekends activities, along with a rumor that one of the rare, standout cars from Solvang would be attending Cars&Coffee on this particular morning. And as if on cue, a blue Porsche 993 was seen entering the driveway into the parking lot, aimed towards Porsche row.

Once parked, the view from behind revealed this 993s true identity. This particular car is not only an example of the rare, european only Carrera RS models, but also has the distinction of being one of the limited production, highly desirable performance variants - a 1996 Carrera RS Club Sport.

For 1995, Porsche produced a total of 1130 Carrera RS models, followed in 1996 by a final batch of only 57 RS models, making this particular car by virtue of its build date one of the last type 993 RS models produced. And from the total number of Carrera RS models that Porsche produced, only 47 examples were constructed to accommodate the right hand drive (RHD) marketplace.

Three visual cues can be used to differentiate and identify a Club Sport variant from its base Carrera RS sibling. The first and most obvious is the large dual plane, adjustable angle rear wing and with added cooling and induction intakes, instead of the flat profiled, whale tail spoiler found on the base Carrera RS. The two remaining cues are both found within the car: the pair of lightweight sport seats (reported to save 66 pounds each over a stock seat), and an installed welded in roll cage, instead of a bolted together cage.

Returning to the exterior, another prominent but unique detail to the Carrera RS are its wheels. For both the RS and Club Sport models, the cars came equipped with 18 inch, Speedline 3 piece modular 5-spoke race wheels as seen below; sized 8″x18″ up front, and 10″x18″ at the rear…

Speedline 10″X18″ rear wheel (as shown above)

Speedline 8″X18″ front wheel (as shown above and detail below)

Another unique, yet less obvious performance component fitted to the Carrera RS Club Sport model is the front hood. For this model, Porsches weight savings efforts focused on material options, and as a result manufactured all of the RS Club Sport front hoods from aluminum. This demonstrates a classic example of Porsches attention to detail; studying the cumulative effect of component weight reduction for an increase in vehicle performance.

The photo above and those following provide a glimpse of the design evolution that occurred between 1996 and 2011, as witnessed by the recent performance offering; the 2011 Porsche 997 GT3 parked beside the Carrera RS Club Sport. It was also interesting to observe one of Porsches latest color offerings, especially this interpretation of blue. Each of these cars when viewed by themselves appeared to be very similar in color to the other. However when parked side by side, their subtle color differences became much more apparent.

Residing beneath the Carrera RS Club Sports rear wing is Porsches purpose-built, 3.8 liter motor, tuned to deliver 300 horsepower. This potential translates into 0-60 times of 4.7 seconds, with the capability of producing a terminal velocity of 174 MPH.

Parked side by side, these two Porsches provided the casual observer an opportunity to view the design changes that have occurred over the past 16 years, not only to the overall styling, but to Porsches revised approach towards aerodynamics.

Once again, I feel very fortunate to have been able to experience this car in person given its rarity, and to have recorded each encounter photographically. This type of experience is what makes events like Cars&Coffee or an RGruppe Treffen so amazing; one never knows exactly the type of vehicles that await discovery…

(All photos by the author)

Last edited by curve lover; 06-10-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:17 PM
vanguard
Instructor

he needs to change his rotors pretty soon. i thought the rollbars ran through the front air vents in the RS?
Old 06-10-2012, 09:17 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Curve Lover, I need to find a way to add you to my Holiday card list.... you are the man.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:52 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by vanguard
he needs to change his rotors pretty soon. i thought the rollbars ran through the front air vents in the RS?
They do, here's a proper factory cage
Old 06-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

He also had a nice purse behind his seat!

Awesome car!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:11 PM
alps
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vanguard
i thought the rollbars ran through the front air vents in the RS?
Very nice car in a highly sought after color. Not quite the Holy Grail (i.e not Clubsport) as it is a Comfort/Touring/Basic version with the large spoiler option and an aftermarket rollcage. Headliner and rear carpets are just visible (Clubsport was painted metal), driver seat is leather covered (Clubsport is non-flammable material) and passenger seat looks to be aftermarket. A number of RS's were delivered with a bucket seat for the driver and reclining sport seat for the passenger. It must attract a lot of attention Stateside.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:30 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by NickyP

The owne, Peter is a Swedish gentleman who shipped the car to the US where he can keep it here for a year.
Awesome car, and he drives the snot out of it.
Originally Posted by Paddy

Awesome car!
Originally Posted by alps

Very nice car in a highly sought after color. It must attract a lot of attention Stateside.

Quick Reply: RS spotted in Santa Monica *PICS*