C4S_fan
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Just *wow*.
Old 05-22-2009, 01:59 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not only he has most of the rarest porsches but they all seem to be in my favorite shades of blue.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:14 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Gonz, do you know which hanger? btw, do you go to the Spitfire on Saturdays for the PCALA breakfast meet? There's one this Sat. I've never been...

I remember now the name of Seinfeld's car manager: Sam Cabiglio.
Yep, that's a familiar name. I think I've heard it from JoAnne.

I'm not sure what hangar. Between his and the Barney's one I wonder if any of them have planes in them! I imagine that they probably try to keep a low profile over there with all of those priceless machines.

I haven't gone to the PCALA breakfast before. I've thought about it, but I make the same drive every weekday so... I kind of want to go to one soon though. I can't go this weekend, but lemme know if you're gonna go to the next one and I'll try to come and join the fun! I've got a 7 week old at home right now, so my Porsche fun time has been seriously depleted lately!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 02:19 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Wait. The man, who has, arguably, unlimited resources, pays Bruce Canepa a frickin' Kings Ransom to convert a car that cost him more than most of us make in a year to buy in the first place and has it repaired at a Circle K 76 station??? Am I missing something here??
Old 05-22-2009, 02:35 PM
pcar
Rennlist Member

The hanger is located on westside of the runway (mid-field of the control tower side) If you go to the Typhoon Restauant and look across the Runway you will see a row of Large Bi-fold hangers (he was in one of those 8-10 years ago along with a few of David Lettermans porsches) You used to see the caretaker driving the cars back and forth on the Airports taxi/access roads.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:47 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gonzilla
I think he's "bicoastal". He keeps a bunch of his cars in a hangar at the Santa Monica Airport which is right across the street. I know that Aurel and Don do a lot of the work on his newer cars that are out here and there's a guy in Torrance who takes care of the older ones.

That's what I thought too, but I imagine that he probably just needed a battery or to use a lift or something and that was the closest one. As I said, the cars live literally across the street.
From talking with Bruce Canepa it seemed Jerry had his own key to the front door and the alarm code. So I wonder where he stashes all of his cars.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:47 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

A friend of mine here locally recently was invited to a small "open house" of Jerry's Santa Monica collection and was very impressed. Jerry and about 20 people were there. lunch was served and it was all very casual and relaxed. of course the cars were amazing.
A few years ago my mom used to play bridge routinely with Jerry's mom - near West Palm Beach, FL. His mom is most humble and down to earth - but she doesn't know a thing about Porsches!!!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 07:10 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

After reading that description of the RS vs. the standard Carrera I really want an RS!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-22-2009, 08:57 PM
MrRoboto
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow....just wow.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:54 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love this place. First the picture....then the x-post description. Like others...wow-just wow.

Somebody resurrect the thread with that picture a lister' took of Jerry driving one of his cars on the 5 freeway. That was one of my favorite posts.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Old 05-23-2009, 02:09 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Damn. No sunroof there either. Also, euro sidemarkers, euro rear bumper cover and no lock plugs.

Interestingly, the RS's license plate was 5Z#####. That would put it as licensed pretty soon after the above car, and both were some time after I got mine (at 5R#####) in 2/06. I think one of the posts said that he had owned the RS since new, so why the newer license plate numbers? Was it not registered until recently?

Last edited by gonzilla; 05-23-2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Cactus.....you are the man! Those pictures are great.
Old 05-23-2009, 10:01 AM
TURBO-951
Racer

That is so awesome guys !! I feel like already know Jerry !!! LOL
This place is great
Old 05-23-2009, 02:36 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Gonz, do you know which hanger? btw, do you go to the Spitfire on Saturdays for the PCALA breakfast meet? There's one this Sat. I've never been...

I remember now the name of Seinfeld's car manager: Sam Cabiglio.
I've been to the PCA breakfast a few times. It's a nice mix of people and cars with a slight bias toward newer stuff. Met Goofball there once, too. That Circle K is 1 block north of where you turn to go to the Spitfire. I expect he's getting something very basic done at Circle K, due to convenient proximity only. I expect that the location of the hangar is fairly classified. The Leno warehouse in the valley is slightly higher profile. I'm still waiting for my invitation to either...

Quick Reply: RS spotted in Santa Monica *PICS*