Sponsored by:

Joy

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:33 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Joy

Ok. I'll admit from the start I probably don't have enough standing here to poll the crowd but will do so anyway in the spirit of camaraderie and of sharing mutual enjoyment of the same experience, as well as to provide a moment of perspective as well as levity for folks that have given me much in my short time here. Feel free to share and respond! I'm just trying to add a bit more texture to the community.

One of my relatives came to visit from Bermuda last week (the land of scooters and gas efficient machines) and of course, the conversation led to the presence of the 10-15 mpg Pcar in the garage next to the antique 19 mpg American V8 car and the duo of 26-32 mpg imports that have been my DDs. I was asked, point blank – operating/maintenance costs aside, what was the source of my greatest enjoyment being the caretaker of this car that had the largest carbon footprint and the smallest physical size of everything I owned. Looks, status, realization of a long-time dream, performance, etc? What was my justification for ownership of a car that consumes this much gas and topped the list in repair costs, even though I obviously could afford it.
I thought it was an excellent question and was hard pressed to answer. I love to drive this car (although all driving to date has been mostly confined to city with a few bursts on the highway). And *od knows I've spent many hours polishing and primping her up to satisfy some need I have to make her the perfect expression of my ability to care for something mechanical yet etherial. I rolled the question around in my mind much as I rolled the single malt scotch across my tongue and replied, " I honestly don't know which puts a bigger smile on my face; driving it or walking up to it parked at the curb."

Can you relate? Which is YOUR greatest sense of satisfaction? Object d' art, or physical satisfaction? Either way, you/we win.
Regards to all! Breaker. breaker. C'mon back!
Old 05-19-2009, 06:36 AM
tommyg
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

For me, I'd say pride of ownership...finally. It's like wall art for the road - the craftsmanship, fit/finish quality, performance and the rear engine sound.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

It's like the commercial where the guy is holding his first child and says "I'm there."

For those with children, I know a car is no comparison, but my point is
"I'm there.".

The 993 is the model I had always wanted. I had an '02 C4S that I loved, with Tequipment rollbar and Schroth harnesses, driven in anger at least 1x/month at VIR or Roebling or Road Atlanta, for nearly a year. Then I later found an immaculate '83 SC and upgraded everything I wanted to, until it was 'DONE" and 2 days later it was totalled in a crash with a drunk Harley rider who was killed on the spot. I always wanted a 993, which to me captures the best essence of the older cars with a bit more comfort and amenities of the newer cars, definitely the most beautiful 911 of all. I'd reply the same way to that question, seeing it when I approach it, or walking away from it and turning back, seeing it clean and resting in the garage, or driving the living p!ss out of it on the way to work, only to california duster it off before covering (first covered day of the year, it may not be summer yet but the sun is up and strong) at work. I can no longer afford a 996 or 997, I found the right 993 for me ('95, and there is a Steve at Rennsport chip, PSS9s and ROW sways in its future). I have $17k to go, and even if I lost my job I'd probably sell my '06 Cooper just so I could keep the 993 and pay it off...

There is no substitute, and I have owned a LOT of nice cars, started Japanese (honda & acura), then went European (Sterling, many Alfas, a couple Audis including a B5 S4, even tried the dark side (E46 M3) for a year, but once I drove a 911 I was 'home'. 993 is the best house of all.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:15 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
" I honestly don't know which puts a bigger smile on my face; driving it or walking up to it parked at the curb."
Exactly...

I'd only add the satisfaction I get in working on them.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:33 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you take them for a ride?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Did you take them for a ride?
If you didn't - do it , they might just begin to understand
Old 05-19-2009, 01:08 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I say "I just like it". Followed by "FU" if they persist with questions.

But in reality, and I've said it before, what attracts me in a 993 is a combination of archaic and anachronistic "old car" character (smell, sound, layout, feel) and decent performance. I also would not own it if it wasn't a convertible.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They aren't the be-all and end-all of automobiles, but if you like the old school type of experience they are one of the much better choices, imho. I also think they are one of the few street cars that feel so equally at home on the track. And the 993 is very civilized for the street (compared to 70's-80's versions) yet with the same old school visceral feeling that the 997s lack.

My BMW 2002tii (and 1600) and my Sprites were the same sort of experience in their own right. But those cars need more work to get them track worthy.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:04 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

"Don't knock it 'till you try it."
Old 05-19-2009, 06:14 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't define where my greatest source of satisfaction comes from, but I do not agree with the comment about the relative significance of the carbon footprint. These machines are very fuel efficient.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:02 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My satisfaction is that the car fits me like a glove. By comparison, when I rented one of the new Mustangs, the scale felt just a touch oversized.

As a rejoinder to what your friend was getting at, please point out that by driving an 11+ year old car, you've reduced the demand for at least one, possibly two, cars and the attendent manufacturing, distribution, and disposal costs.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:24 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

I've wanted a 911 since I was 10 years old. I got to see the model evolve with the 84 3.2 Carrera (I was 14), 959 (OK, doesn't really fit but it was an evolution of a design), 964, and 993. I was lucky enough to visit the factory during 993 production, November 95, and told myself that these cars, the very ones I was watching being built, were what I would some day own. Vey hard to put into words the many various traits that make the car special to me. All I can say is that I have yet to be bored by these wonderful cars. Newer models are quicker, faster, more fuel efficient (model to model), safer, and more practical. They're also not a 993.

Quick Reply: Joy