Sponsored by:

skewed fan pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 10:23 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default skewed fan pulley

Removed the A/C belt as fan is getting close to touching on right side. Viewing down on the pulleys it is obvious that the alternator pulley is skewed at a slight angle from the crank pulley. No obvious play in pulley. No bearing noise.
It appears as if the whole housing is malformed allowing the fan to drift to one side. High belt pressure over the years to blame?
Could selectively tightening the alternator fastenings within the housing realign the unit? Thoughts? Thanks.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:30 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Fred,
The alternator is held in the fan housing with four bolts. I would remove the belts, remove the fan housing, and check these four fasteners. The other thing to check is the position of the fan housing relative to the engine case. Only do this with the belt tension removed.

Andreas
Old 05-14-2009, 11:03 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I agree -- I would be tempted to loosen the fan housing strap, reseat the assembly and tighten back down.
Old 05-14-2009, 01:55 PM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gentlemen:
Thanks. The pulley and fan are cocked within the housing which led me to think of reseating the alternator. Trying to remember how it was seated from my old days when I tore down a couple of my previous engines. Thanks for jogging the memory.
With the A/C belt off , it appears that the fan is not quite as close to the housing as it was. Thanks again.
Fred

Quick Reply: skewed fan pulley