Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

"Back to Black" or something else for interior?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 02:42 PM
future
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If B2B adds a greasy look I will not be happy with it.
Thats exactly why you need to the SWISSVAX Protecton Matt Interior Vinyl And Plastic Conditioner. It truely is the very best product on the market as are there wax products

There is a 4 page feature in this months 911 & Porsche World well worth a read - I can PDF and upload for you if you'd like
Old 05-14-2009, 02:53 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

There are two very distinct kinds of products. If a piece of plastic or vinyl used to be black but is now another color (like brown, as in 993s), it needs a product that will actually dye or recolor it. None of the non-colored products like B2B or it's many alternatives will help at all.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:10 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Mike,

I have used Back-to-Black on outside trim pieces and have have good results but it does not last very long. I have used both the 303 protectant and the 303 cleaner on the interior with good results but I can't say it brought back the finish. I was in Florida last week and serviced my Mom's 1989 Lincoln. It had blue vinyl top that was very faded and dull. I tried the Lexol Vinylex on it and I was very impressed with the results after a couple of coats - it really brought the color out . I have no idea how long it will last but it is worth a try. In case anyone cares, my Mom is convinced that 1989 was the last year they made a "Real Lincoln". The current car is her third.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:18 PM
future
Banned

There are two very distinct kinds of products. If a piece of plastic or vinyl used to be black but is now another color (like brown, as in 993s), it needs a product that will actually dye or recolor it. None of the non-colored products like B2B or it's many alternatives will help at all.
Sorry but you are very wrong ... Plastics dry out which causes fading or worse cracking. SWISSVAX Protecton is an emulsion enriched preservative oil product which absorbs into the plastic. Once applied you can't wipe it off. It is clear so not a dye and yes it lasts along time and can also be used on the exterior. for rubber seals and hoses use Swissvax Gum Feed: http://www.swissvaxporsche.com/mm5/m...and-paint-care. This works in a similar way but design purely for rubber which is a natural material.
Old 05-14-2009, 03:23 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Guys, so far using the Zymol Leather Cleaner (sorry, I mentioned it as Lexol originally, that's not the case, it's Zymol) made some difference on the black plastic and vinyl.

I would not say that my blacks are brown. Rather, they have white splotches, I have no better description for it. Something tells me that this is purely oxidizing effect plus some UV (it's a cab). What I'm trying to understand is whether this can be improved without dyeing, similar to what Dave did on the Lincoln's roof. If it can, I'll see how long it lasts. This is so far from a concourse car that I'm not looking for anything perfect, just a decent black interior. Jon, what products (dyes and non-dyes) would you recommend?

I will be dyeing some pieces of vinyl pretty soon. If it turns out well, I might dye more pieces to match. As it stands, I hate any time of painting, so I'd like to avoid it.

Future, that Swissvax stuff sounds very neat. However, there are no distributors here that I know of. Rather, they seem to take orders directly and have a warehouse in Connecticut, but they do not sell teh interior stuff you've mentioned othat than a "kit" for $350: http://www.swissvax.com/E/US/KontaktBestform.htm Unless we are talking "Protecton vinyl and plastic conditioner, 250 ml" on that page?

BTW, I think we all have white milky plastic surround around the ignition keyhole. Has anyone remedied that short of dyeing?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:31 PM
future
Banned

Something tells me that this is purely oxidizing effect plus some UV (it's a cab).
This is very correct

Future, that Swissvax stuff sounds very neat. However, there are no distributors here that I know of.
Thats not a problem as we (Deutsch Nine International GmbH) are the worldwide Swissvax distributors for all Porsche products so if you'd like a container let me know mate
Old 05-14-2009, 03:47 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

But what would I do with a container?
Old 05-14-2009, 03:49 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow. This stuff is more expensive than pue heroin: https://www.detailersdomain.com/inde...ROD&ProdID=345
Old 05-14-2009, 03:56 PM
future
Banned

But what would I do with a container?
LOL - I ment tub

Wow. This stuff is more expensive than pue heroin
Yes the Swissvax Crystal Rock isn't cheap nor is it the most expensive Swissvax make. All I can say is that Crystal Rock is simply amazing - words can't discribe!!!

You can find out more about tht wax here: http://www.swissvaxcrystalrock.com/

For the REALLY expensive wax called Swissvax Divine you can read more here: http://www.swissvaxdivine.com/
Old 05-14-2009, 03:57 PM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

SEM dye is available from many sources. They have aerosol spray dye and various cleaner and prep products.

Future, do you have before and after pictures showing how your product turns brown, faded, defroster or switch surrounds back to black?
Old 05-14-2009, 04:11 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jon, I've heard good thing about SEM. I was hoping to get something locally. Dupli-color seems to be the only locally available dye and someone mentioned that their semi-gloss was a good match for the rest of the black interior.

I have Leatherique cleaner and prep solutions, so I'll probably use those on the console to be dyed. I'm thinking of getting Leatherique's black dye as well if I go mail-order. It's just if I can get some local stuff, it'd be easier.
Old 05-14-2009, 04:15 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Future, John D. once remarked, regarding my car: "Mike, you should enter a concourse". Based on that sage advise I'll try to use the stuff I have here for now. If they don't work satisfactory, I'll hit you up for a bottle of Swissvax stuff. We have to remember, of course, that John has a very dry and warped sense of humor (for those who've seen my car).

Somehow it feels wrong to export cleaning products from Europe for my personal use But in either event, what would something like this cost shipped to Boston?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
I think we all have white milky plastic surround around the ignition keyhole. Has anyone remedied that short of dyeing?
I bought a new one from Sunset - it was cheap.
Old 05-14-2009, 07:49 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dave, I also bought a new one about four years ago - it's now as milky as the old one was. I think that it's a prime candidate for shoe polish try.
Old 05-14-2009, 10:35 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Thanks, guys!

From what I've gathered so far, the fairly common options would be Back to Black, Forever Black, Black Again and a few others (damn it's starting to sound like an SNL sketch). Back to Black is most widely available. Perhaps i should try that first if there are no other suggestions?
Black Again is horrible. I used it on the exterior of a car for a couple of years. I began to realize that it was becoming more and more frequently needed. Over time, it actually bleached the black plastic trim after being in the Florida sun. I use 100% silicone that I get from a professional detailer's supply now. It's a pain to use, but looks good after you wipe most of it off.

Quick Reply: "Back to Black" or something else for interior?