Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dreaded hood crest gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:11 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Mikrowave the gasket with some water. It will go a lot easier!
Old 05-11-2009, 04:46 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 142 Posts

I will be redoing mine because i am not happy with the results. The hot water trick did nothing but I think I will try the hot sun technique. Does it matter how many times the nuts are taken on and off? The reason I ask is because the posts are threaded as you put the new nut on.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:30 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Anyone tried a hair dryer or heatgun?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:50 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, guy's if you would back up a minute for me, My cood crest is in poor shape also and I would like to replace it soon. I have a few questions first:

1) where is the best place to buy the new crest and gasket I have seen some large price differences? Is is due to OEM vs Non-OEM?

2) How do those nuts come off anyway?

3) Is there any DIY procedure written on this?

Thanks,
Old 05-11-2009, 10:58 PM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by ironimages
Ok, guy's if you would back up a minute for me, My cood crest is in poor shape also and I would like to replace it soon. I have a few questions first:

1) where is the best place to buy the new crest and gasket I have seen some large price differences? Is is due to OEM vs Non-OEM?

2) How do those nuts come off anyway?

3) Is there any DIY procedure written on this?

Thanks,
1. You can get them from many places - Performance Parts, Pelican Parts...I'm sure the price difference is one of those "you get what you paid for" things, although you can get them in other finishes than gold.

2. Deep socket wrench. Can't remember the size. Very easy with just two "bolts". I don't even think they're threaded.

3. Open hood, remove two existing bolts, replace with new badge and tighten new bolts. See previous posts for uncooperative gasket.

Coming from someone who got Ruf to install it, it's a real easy procedure. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:27 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
1. You can get them from many places - Performance Parts, Pelican Parts...I'm sure the price difference is one of those "you get what you paid for" things, although you can get them in other finishes than gold.

2. Deep socket wrench. Can't remember the size. Very easy with just two "bolts". I don't even think they're threaded.

3. Open hood, remove two existing bolts, replace with new badge and tighten new bolts. See previous posts for uncooperative gasket.

Coming from someone who got Ruf to install it, it's a real easy procedure. Good luck.
Thanks, I will need some luck... or a new hood after I'm done!

So this hood crest from Pelican a good one to buy?

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...%35%2Don%29%20

or is there another that is a better purchase?
Old 05-11-2009, 11:50 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just run it under hot water for 10 seconds until it's pliable...this is a small piece of rubber, it doesn't have to be soaked for 45 minutes!

Quick Reply: dreaded hood crest gasket