Go check your spoiler trim!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Go check your spoiler trim!

All:

When I had the PPI done on my '96 Carrera 4, the shop noticed a mark on the rear deck. I couldn't figure it out- tried to clean it off to no avail. Drove 600 miles this weekend and when I got home, I noticed the mark was worse. Raised the spoiler and found out what was going on;

Go check yours now!

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes you wonder why it wasn't discovered during the PPI. When I had mine done, that was one of the first things mentioned.

That plastic doesn't seem to hold up well esp with the constant up and down going on. Either leave it up all the time, get a fixed wing spoiler, or get the RUF module.

Mine has broken again. This seems to be a 'normal' and on-going fix it thing. I finally went for the RUF solution as I don't want a fixed wing and don't want it up all the time.

LA freeway stop and go traffic doesn't fit well with an up and down spoiler
Old 05-10-2009, 05:13 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Canyon:

How did you replace yours? Do have have a part number by chance?

Seems like it wasn't very well designed from the get go.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:18 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Sorry I don't have a part number. Very common part; most all dealers carry them. I know Sunset has them. Try Pelican's website for a part number.

It was a little tricky first doing it, but once you do it, you'll do it the second time with ease.

Do a search, I think there recently was a DIY on it with some 'tricks' on making it easier.

....here it is: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l-tonight.html
Old 05-10-2009, 05:25 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2009, 05:34 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

I just ordered the Spoiler Wall from Sunset Porsche. Number is 993.512.121.00. $79 plus shipping.
Old 05-10-2009, 05:39 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Canyon, what is the RUF module?
Old 05-10-2009, 05:39 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ga993
I just ordered the Spoiler Wall from Sunset Porsche. Number is 993.512.121.00. $79 plus shipping.
Found your recent thread on this:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...er-ribbon.html
(Includes the DIY link)

I just leave my spoiler up for a given drive and drop it when I park for any significant time. Hopefully that will cut down on some wear and tear, and keep the engine a bit cooler too (stop n' go driving, etc.)
Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ga993
Canyon, what is the RUF module?
It replaces the OEM control module located on the passenger side under the dash; it's an easy 'plug 'n play' and doesn't throw any codes.

It makes the spoiler go up at 75 mph and then down at 45 mph.

edit: I brought it up in that post of yours that mongrelcat mentions above. I went ahead and got one. It works great.

mongrelcat: see my post in that thread. Does keeping it up do anything for cooling? Isn't it just for aerodynamics at higher speeds? And the wall is to force the air into the engine at those high speeds, otherwise no air would get into the motor with the spoiler up. That's what RUF says. When the spoiler is down, the way the air flows over the body it goes into the engine bay. So I guess the other side of it is why not keep it down unless you are driving at high speeds, hence the RUF solution. Am I making sense?
Probably not....
Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 PM
ga993
Rennlist Member

Got it, thanks.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:02 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Originally Posted by Canyon56
mongrelcat: see my post in that thread. Does keeping it up do anything for cooling? Isn't it just for aerodynamics at higher speeds? And the wall is to force the air into the engine at those high speeds, otherwise no air would get into the motor with the spoiler up. That's what RUF says. When the spoiler is down, the way the air flows over the body it goes into the engine bay. So I guess the other side of it is why not keep it down unless you are driving at high speeds, hence the RUF solution. Am I making sense?
Probably not....
I did a search for "wall" in 993 forum thread titles a couple weeks back and from what I gather the spoiler being up increases cooling. I could well be wrong, but that is what I took from what I read.

Aside from the matter of whether the spoiler being up pulls fresh air in from the top, I have to think that the effect of "opening up" the engine bay lends to better cooling. Does air pulling though from the underside move up and out the evacuated space in the rear deck when the spoiler is up?

Best bet is to test the theory in hot driving conditions at speeds under 50MPH, but it's only hit 70* up here a few times in the past 6 months... I guess I could force the issue if I really wanted to test by bringing the temps up with extended idling and then timing how long it takes to drop back to normal operating temps with the spoiler up or down..... (I've tested this way a couple times already to learn about oil levels (higher temps = higher volumes.))

In the manual there's a section regarding the dash spoiler warning light in the case of malfunction. It mentions impaired driving stability due to reduction in downforce, it also says:

"Engine cooling may no longer be sufficient; monitor the oil temperature and reduce speed..."

Is also says: "Should the speed-dependent control system fail, the rear spoiler can be extended manually."

To me this says "up is safe."
Old 05-10-2009, 08:15 PM
Timothy Stewart
Instructor

Default Unconventional But Sturdy Repair

Please see my previous post (2004) re repairing this
weak design with pond liner. Still going strong.

tim
Old 05-10-2009, 09:18 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
I did a search for "wall" in 993 forum thread titles a couple weeks back and from what I gather the spoiler being up increases cooling. I could well be wrong, but that is what I took from what I read.

Aside from the matter of whether the spoiler being up pulls fresh air in from the top, I have to think that the effect of "opening up" the engine bay lends to better cooling. Does air pulling though from the underside move up and out the evacuated space in the rear deck when the spoiler is up?

Best bet is to test the theory in hot driving conditions at speeds under 50MPH, but it's only hit 70* up here a few times in the past 6 months... I guess I could force the issue if I really wanted to test by bringing the temps up with extended idling and then timing how long it takes to drop back to normal operating temps with the spoiler up or down..... (I've tested this way a couple times already to learn about oil levels (higher temps = higher volumes.))

In the manual there's a section regarding the dash spoiler warning light in the case of malfunction. It mentions impaired driving stability due to reduction in downforce, it also says:

"Engine cooling may no longer be sufficient; monitor the oil temperature and reduce speed..."

Is also says: "Should the speed-dependent control system fail, the rear spoiler can be extended manually."

To me this says "up is safe."
Hmmm. Interesting. I dunno. I'll test too when it gets warmer out. RUF claims that it's higher speeds than the stock setting that needs the stability and the cooling. The manual doesn't mention any specific speed, but of course it goes up early than the RUF module's programming. I'll ask them again. Paul Frere mentions that the under body pan on the later cars helped in air flow dynamics but also meant less air circulating back to the engine bay.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:29 AM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

I've tested this some before I upgraded to the Ruf Module and I don't think that cooling is an issue at slower speeds, the spoiler position seems to make very little difference, but at high speeds (70+ mph) the spolier does help the cooling. Fortunately that's about the speed the Ruf unit kicks in so as Ruf says the cooling should not be affected.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:43 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

FWIW, If you press the spoiler Up button before you reach 45mph, it will raise the spoiler and keep it up there. This will stop the constant up/down motion when you are in traffic.

Quick Reply: Go check your spoiler trim!