993 Forum 1995-1998

My new gt3 carbonb fiber seats,,

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 02:34 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 866 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by m4hand
So I stole these for a hell of a deal... Carbon Fiber and Alcantara. with rails and side mounts.

I figured for the price (soo low) they were worth a shot.

thoughts???

not appealing aesthetically.
safe?

cheers

Craig
Old 05-13-2009, 02:42 AM
Leucadia
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
Those look pretty good except I'm not too fond of the slots for fore/aft adjustment on the seats. IMHO if these have certification then there is no reason not to consider these just b/c they don't have a famous name on it. Just b/c a product is labeled Made in China or Made in Taiwan doesn't necessarily mean "low quality"...there is a lot of high quality components coming out of non-Japan/Korea asia (not just electrical). Even U.S. car makers have wheels made in China and automakers are notorious for being paranoid of lawsuits. Another example is swiss watch makers....you would be surprised how much of that $10k watch is preassembled in China with final assemble in Switzerland so they can be legally labelled "swiss made". They will even send Chinese assemblers to Switzerland on a temporary basis
Hi Dave,
Fortunately I have worked as a product manager in both countries for many years (China and Taiwan) at both US Owned MNC and a Chinese domestic corporation - and can speak to this a bit. The issues with quality comming out of China/Taiwan are a corporate ethics problem by upper management rather than a "place of origin".

Yes, many Chinese OEM/ODM's are fully capable of creating high quality products, the problem is upper management decides NOT to. Its called Quality Fade" - The deliberate and secretive habit of widening profit margins through incremental reduction in the quality of materials or other required inputs. And ive seen it with my own eyes for many many years. Its sometimes done from greed (profits are skimmed and shared with local gov officials for guanxi), but usually simply because of fierce competition.

The only thing that keeps you from seeing Quality Fade in those western brands you reference is because of the disproportionate monitoring, testing, and supervision to QA/QC by HQ. Fully Chinese owned companies don't have the same commitment (or even understanding) to brand building. For example, I clearly recall my previous Chinese domestic company would constantly down-spec every chance they got. I remember one instance of a product which was down spec'ed in the middle of a single order! Virtually none of the original components remained after just 4 production runs. I was embarrassed to represent what the product had become, and got tired of the weekly fights with the R/D manager and my VP and left the company in 2005.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:42 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

leucadia ,

absolutly right, it took me a year and a half of work with them before salling the 1st seat,
Old 05-13-2009, 11:33 PM
mbackhand
Instructor

Originally Posted by future
Look great but just to let you know they are made in Taiwan and not by Max Speed Motors.

There are 2 manufactures of these replica seats - 1 is very poor quality and to be avoided at all costs and the other is actually very well made - both companies based in Taiwan.

You will know if you have the good quality versions if the cushion under your legs is convex to match the shape of your legs.
Mine have the Convex areas on the leg cushions so looks like I got lucky !! I rode around for about 2 hours today in them and they are quite comfortable. I am very happy with them. My wife on the other hand hates them.....not comfy enough for her liking.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 AM
future
Banned

Mine have the Convex areas on the leg cushions so looks like I got lucky !! I rode around for about 2 hours today in them and they are quite comfortable. I am very happy with them. My wife on the other hand hates them.....not comfy enough for her liking.
Good to here mate and enjoy them
Old 05-14-2009, 01:41 PM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

yes they are really comfy, if it is not a shoulders or hip issue, may i suggest something you can try for you lady, as i did for my wife take your cushion out and put above hers, that would make 2 x 40mm the second cushion would not slide I did it for many clients as well, it will then comme flash with the front cushion , take a look at my seats , the picture in the car with grey suede,
so it may improuve her confort to ad a foam underneath, we are offering that to many clients and it works, that give the option of have comfort but when using on track they remove the top one and get more support by sinking more in the seat, we now also offer 60 mm cushion as a choice.

Konstantin C4
Old 05-14-2009, 04:11 PM
mbackhand
Instructor

kos11-12,

thanks I will give that a try !
Old 05-14-2009, 10:21 PM
future
Banned

Just found these on UK ebay ... yes they are the bad ones hence why there is not much interest: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Porsche-GT3-RS...3A2%7C294%3A50. Again notice the cushions I was talking about
Old 06-07-2009, 10:47 PM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

kos11-12, are you saying the FIA approved seat is similar to the "high quality" GT3 replica seat?

future, any more information on testing or any other info on the GT3 replica seat? Is it real carbon or carbon layered onto fiberglass?

Quick Reply: My new gt3 carbonb fiber seats,,