993 Forum 1995-1998

My new gt3 carbonb fiber seats,,

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:16 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

assuming the seats are safe for non-track use are they comfortable for daily driving? They sure look good?
Old 05-09-2009, 05:17 PM
future
Banned

This is the email I have just dug out from the manufactures of the quality seats ... Sorry I got the $4k wrong it was actually 6-7k but I'm sure we all agree that vendors selling safety products SHOULD have everything tested ... 7k is FAR less than the priceless cost of a life!!!!

Here is the email with my questions in blue and there answers in red:

Am I correct in thinking that the SP1 as pictured above is referred to as the VF1 within the pricelist you sent me?
yes they are the same one, we were making seats for other brands and the Vida series is now our own brand. we are developing few more series at the moment.

2. How much does it cost to send 2 seats to Switzerland and what are the estimated delivery times?
For 2 seats via air freight would be about 340 USD, delivery time would be about 7-10 days from point of payment received to goods at your doorstep.

3. If we wanted you to manufacture / copy a seat we send over to you what would have to be the minimum order quantity and how much would the FIA approval cost?
we normally require 20-30 seat depending on the difficulty and the costs it would involved for the moulding, and if you want the sole distribution right to the seat model then moulding cost would need to be paid for from your side or certain quantities of order is agreed.

the FIA approval is about 6000-7000 USD for 1 seat, the second seat would be half the price if you do the test together.

4. Could you send us a small sample off-cut of the leather and cloth that you use to cover the seats so we can check the quality before purchase?
could you please send us your delivery address so we can send the samples, and the maybe the colors you would like.

5. Can you provide custom embroidered logos on the headrest of the seats with our logo?
we can do that, there is no problem. order of 10 seats and above then would be free of costs.

6. Lastly can you email me large detailed pictures of both the GT3 and SP1 seats so we can take a closer look at the quality?
please see attached pictures for those 2 seats.
Old 05-09-2009, 05:19 PM
future
Banned

assuming the seats are safe for non-track use are they comfortable for daily driving? They sure look good?
They are good for a 32 to 38 inch waist ... any bigger and it's a tight squeeze ... any smaller and you will slide about but do not class the GT3 seats as a race/track seat because that is not what they were designed for
Old 05-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by future
They are good for a 32 to 38 inch waist ... any bigger and it's a tight squeeze ... any smaller and you will slide about but do not class the GT3 seats as a race/track seat because that is not what they were designed for
Do you mean that the real or fake GT3 seats are not race/track seats?
Old 05-09-2009, 05:33 PM
future
Banned

Do you mean that the real or fake GT3 seats are not race/track seats?
The real ones ... they simply do not support you like a proper Recaro Pro Racer SPG - remember these seats are designed for the road with light track days in mind - They are not full blown race seats but do offer more lateral support over comfort seats for obvious reasons
Old 05-09-2009, 05:39 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

The real ones ... they simply do not support you like a proper Recaro Pro Racer SPG - remember these seats are designed for the road with light track days in mind - They are not full blown race seats but do offer more lateral support over comfort seats for obvious reasons
My experience has been that the GT3 seats are really excellent track/race seats, especially in conjunction with harnesses. Although my current Recaro Pro Racer HANS seat is tighter and more deeply bucketed than my old GT3 seats, the GT3 seats do a very, very good job of holding a driver in. The harnesses, of course, play a large part in holding down a driver's upper torso. I raced with the GT3's for three years and never had an issue with how well they kept me socketed in. I only switched to the Pro Racer because NASA requires either a right-hand net or a head containment seat. FWIW, I am about 6' tall and weigh 175lbs.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:03 PM
future
Banned

I would not race or track without a Hans and will again illiterate that using the best seat, helmet and hans device plus harness on the market if far more important than any suspension, power or chassis mods.

I have been witness to people fitting cheap aftermarket FRP bumpers to there cars without removing airbags ... This again is a very big NO if you value your life.

An airbag is designed not only on impact sensors - all of a cars products are tested in hand to go off when the impact endangers life.

In Switzerland where we are based you can't even fit wheel spaces, brake adapters, FRP wings and bumpers etc unless the products have passed TUV - in my opinion this should be the case worldwide for street, track or race - In the UK we can fit any old **** which looks to be the same in the US.

Racer cars have to pass scrutineering in Europe whether it be for MSA or FIA and I know you have similar high standards in the US but why is this not passed onto street cars. In my opinion the street is far more dangerous than any track event as there is no possibility of a head on collision. I'm sorry if I have strong opinions on safety matters but when you have lost friends on road and track to me it is very important to stress the importance of buying the very best safety equipment you can afford and seats are a fundamental "must invest wisely" product in the equation.

Yes the Recaro GT3 seats are very very good as are all Recaro products which is what makes them market leaders along side Sparco which Ferrari prefer to support. But the GT3 seat was never designed as a race seat ... There Pro Racer SPG is and as most GT1,2 & 3 cars run them then so should we - Hell it's the seat you get fitted in a new Porsche cup car

Glad to here you're running a Pro Racer to ... What harness do you use?
Old 05-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I have Sabelts and will probably switch to Schroths when the Sabelts expire.
Old 05-09-2009, 06:38 PM
future
Banned

Mark also check out Willans harnesses: http://www.willansharness.com/
Old 05-09-2009, 06:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Cool, I'll keep them in mind.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:00 PM
mbackhand
Instructor

Look great but just to let you know they are made in Taiwan and not by Max Speed Motors.

There are 2 manufactures of these replica seats - 1 is very poor quality and to be avoided at all costs and the other is actually very well made - both companies based in Taiwan.

You will know if you have the good quality versions if the cushion under your legs is convex to match the shape of your legs.

For everybody's reference this is the company that make the poor quality version: http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/...cket_Seat.html

Both companies offer various trim options.

Regarding FIA testing, this only cost $4k in both Taiwan and China so there is no excuse for these companies not to have there products certified.

They do look great all the same and I hope you purchased the better quality versions.

These are the quality version which you could have purchased brand new via eBay direct from Taiwan (notice the cushions I refer to): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-P...Q5fAccessories

Here is the link to the seats on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=
Old 05-09-2009, 07:00 PM
future
Banned

No probs Mate

And also sorry from me for the thread hijack - Mark please PM me regarding the front canards you are running as I'm interested in them

Now back on topic ...
Old 05-09-2009, 07:22 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No probs Mate

And also sorry from me for the thread hijack - Mark please PM me regarding the front canards you are running as I'm interested in them

Now back on topic ...
Future, thanks for some excellent and detailed info!!

ps, I think you meant 'reiterate' and not 'illiterate'
I would not race or track without a Hans and will again illiterate that using the best seat, helmet and hans device plus harness on the market if far more important than any suspension, power or chassis mods.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:46 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks to future for so e great info!
Old 05-10-2009, 03:02 AM
x50type
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree - good date, i am archiving it

Quick Reply: My new gt3 carbonb fiber seats,,