Sponsored by:

DIY 993 bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 06:13 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 881 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by tracke30m3
Gimme a few days to post some more pics with more details.

Btw, who would want to take the Cayenne when you can take the 993?
not me
we recently had a V6 loaner.
I'd rather drive my subaru wagon.

cheers

Craig
Old 05-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't driven a Cayenne, but Subarus are hard to beat; I'm on my third.
Old 05-06-2009, 02:13 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone serious about their mountain biking would not risk taking their 993 up to a mountain trail head requiring decent center clearance unless your suspension was set up like the Paris/Dakar Rally 959.

Stop by your local dealer and take a CayenneS or Cayenne Turbo out for a test drive. It's highly recommended and in most cases it cost nothing.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Rinty
Drifting

...mountain trail heads...H.H.Chin
And there also the risk of vandalism, particularly at remote sites.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:04 PM
fullbooker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I would love to have the option of driving the 993 with my road bike when going for a bike ride. I look forward to more details on this bike rack.
Phil
Old 05-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Coleman
I had a thule, but it bent the crap out of my rain gutters.. This looks like a nice solution.. as requested before, how does it work??

C/
Really? I use a Thule rack all the time - no problems.

Greg H.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 AM
tracke30m3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are more pics as promised:

Though I've used the rack several times and have driven spiritedly even over bad roads with no issues, please remember that if you choose to emulate this bike rack you do so at your own risk.

I decided to do this DIY rack instead of a roof rack because:

- this is cheaper, I have the metal parts just lying around and access to a welder.

- I'm afraid of damaging the roof while loading/unloading the bike unto a roof rack.

I choose this over buying a Cayenne to transport my bike because:

- this is much cheaper than a Cayenne (see above).

- not really a fan of the Cayenne, would much rather drive the 993 than a Cayenne or any SUV for that matter.

The rack's core is a pair of metal support brackets bolted on to the aluminum structure behind each of the bumper guards. I drilled two holes on each of aluminum structures so that the bolts that fasten the metal supports can pass thru and thread unto the nuts behind the holes.

Look closely at the last picture and you will notice a metal plate (#1) behind the aluminum structure, I welded the two nuts to this plate so I can tighten the bracket's bolts without the need to use a tool to hold the nuts. I also made this plate "L" shaped with the shorter side of the "L" on the top (#2 - hidden behind bumper in the picture) and flat against the top inner part of the aluminum structure for extra strength.

Look even more closely at the last pic and notice that the top most part of he metal support bracket is actually inserted into the "hooked" upper part (#3) of the aluminum structure to reduce movement of the bracket.

You'll notice that the steel 1" X 1" square bars aren't parellel to each other, this is because the aluminum bumper structures aren't parallel either. I only realized this after everything had been welded, I'd prefer to have the square bars parallel to each other but didn't want to redo everything.

The bike holder, even the fork mount with the exception of the skewers is also fully DIY. I think it would be doable to fit a Thule , Yakima or other ready made racks to the support brackets.

Just for extra peace of mind, I used the thickest gauge steel I had and full welded all of the connections. Heavy duty bolts, nuts and washers were also used. I also attached a strap with one end looped around the seatpost then other end that has a flat rubber coated hook to the edge of the trunk lid for extra support. I got the strap with hook from one of those trunk mount bike racks.

So far I'm quite happy with the rack, of course common sense dictates that you don't take the 993 to trails that require driving on very bad roads and/or to areas where the car would be put at risk. It's just common sense that you choose where you should and should not take the car, this applies whether you have the bike rack on or off. And I don't see why I (or anyone) have to be a serious mountainbiker and ride only on desolate trails which require a Humvee to traverse to enjoy mountain biking. Btw, I also have a road bike and use the 993 to lug that too.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:18 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Fantastic pics & write-up. Good job!

Andreas
Old 05-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Nice work. I can't believe people are busting your ***** over not driving a Cayenne.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 AM
tj90
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Excellent job and writeup. Im in the same boat as you - limited time and multiple hobbies. Why not combine them? 4 years ago I would have been totally opposed to this, but now I realize that the 993 does me no good to sit in the garage when I need a car for a bike ride.

I started procuring the parts this week after you started the thread. Its a slightly different design. Thanks for the pics, I may modify what I was thinking based on your detail. Im trying to think of the most efficient way to install/uninstall the rack but still have solid connection. I know the typical design is to use a pin and receiver. Without a welder, this is difficult. My idea still requires I need 2 bolts for each side and of course the wrenches...
Old 05-07-2009, 12:10 PM
tracke30m3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
I can't believe people are busting your ***** over not driving a Cayenne.
+1

I have an X5 4.4I with sport package, not a bad drive but obviously not as fun as the 993. I could opt to drive that to haul the bike if I wanted to drive an SUV. Or my E61 5 series (wagon), it's not that I'm short of options, I just want to drive the most fun car I have when I go biking hence the 993.

You'll notice my rack is not designed to be removed in a few seconds, (it uses bolts instead of pin and receiver) it's because I leave the rack on 100% of the time because like I have previously said- the only time I get to use the car is whenever I go biking on weekends. Haven't done a fun run or trackday in over 2 years.

I'll also post pictures of the Willwood system I have on my Boxster, may help those who plan to do a DIY rack for their 993, specially those who want a rack that can be easily removed / installed. The receivers for this system stay with the car and are almost fully out of sight, you just trim the rubber bumper guards a bit to accomodate the hitches. Installing the rack into the hitches take less than a minute.

Last edited by tracke30m3; 05-07-2009 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:19 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Great work tracke30m3!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:16 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Very clean!
Old 05-07-2009, 02:04 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

added to my "to do" list: Learn to weld!
Old 05-07-2009, 02:27 PM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Great work and great write-up. But I could never do that to my 993-to many emotions involved. I'll stick to the DD for bike transport.

Quick Reply: DIY 993 bike rack