Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track seat advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 05:23 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recall the PP as being very close to the GT3 in the hips. The shoulders are significantly different though. I found the pp very uncomfortable, but the gt3 are very comfy. For reference, I am 6-2, 185 and wear an xl shirt.

I could measure my gt3 seats tonight. Where do you want to measure though?

Pete
Old 05-02-2009, 09:22 AM
icelatte
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless your wife has any appreciation for sports cars and performance driving, she's gonna complain in any fixed back seat. I have the PP and my wife complains about the thin cushioning.

If you can find a set of SRDs, they're a great compromise. They support you just as well as the PPs, and they recline. I went with PPs because I HAD to have them (a little lighter and cooler looking) but logically, the SRDs would have fit my purpose of dual purpose car better.

Cost no issue, I would also look at the Recaro sportster or Cobra Misano.
Old 05-02-2009, 04:23 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's your slippery slope problem: You want higher bolsters to hold you in. So you are considering fixed back seats with harness holes. Hmm, you think, a harness would be really great to hold you to the car. But you cannot install a harness without a roll bar. (if you value your neck, don't even consider using a harness bar). And so it begins....
Old 05-02-2009, 05:07 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Wives don't like deep bolsters. Period.

And I went with Sparco Evo 2 Plus seats in mine to fit my large frame. I did not compare them head to head with the PPs or the GT3s. They fit, but just barely, and required custom side mounts which I can provide CAD drawings for if anyone needs them.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 576 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Plumley
Here's your slippery slope problem: You want higher bolsters to hold you in. So you are considering fixed back seats with harness holes. Hmm, you think, a harness would be really great to hold you to the car. But you cannot install a harness without a roll bar. (if you value your neck, don't even consider using a harness bar). And so it begins....
And that's just the tip of the iceberg of the issues you will run into, everyone's geometry is going to be a little different but little differences add up to big geometry headaches.

The things that have to be right;
*butt geometry has to match the seat geometry you gottt fit comfortably in the seat

* leg geometry has to match pedal geometry - you gotta reach the pedals and have room to move

* shoulder geometry has to match roll bar tie off and seat hole geometry - you have to have a straight fetch from the shoulder to the bar at 0 -20* down angle

* side bolster geometry has to match center console and stock belt receptacle(if you're keeping them) geometry - you have to have room for the side bolster to clear the console and belt recpt.

* side hole geometry has to match harness tieoff geometry - you have to have a fair lead so the belts don't fret

* belt section lengths have to match the all the hole and tie off geometries - the harness sections have to terminate where the buckles are free of the holes and other obstructions.

* sub geometry has to be 0 - 20* back, this isn't aways easy to accomplish due to the stuff under the seats.

These are just the minimum that has to be right there's more, height, hans etc.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:49 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I advise sitting in them before buying. I find the PP's extremely uncomfortable and I suspect my small-framed wife would too. I'm just 155 lbs. Weird thing is that my Cobra seats look nearly identical to PP's, so yeah you simply can't predict how they'll fit you.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
I advise sitting in them before buying. I find the PP's extremely uncomfortable and I suspect my small-framed wife would too. I'm just 155 lbs. Weird thing is that my Cobra seats look nearly identical to PP's, so yeah you simply can't predict how they'll fit you.
Agree. I chose the Sparcos specifically because I was able to sit in them and compare them to Corbeaus and Recaros (not the PP though.)
Old 05-03-2009, 01:18 AM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Well it clearly seems best to try out some different seats for fit/comfort as several of you have suggested. I'm really torn on what to do because I have a Recaro booster in the back for my 3.5 year old son, which I would like to keep in for the daily routine, but I realize that this may not work with most of the hardshell racing seats. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks for all of the advice so far.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:20 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pickering993
Well it clearly seems best to try out some different seats for fit/comfort as several of you have suggested. I'm really torn on what to do because I have a Recaro booster in the back for my 3.5 year old son, which I would like to keep in for the daily routine, but I realize that this may not work with most of the hardshell racing seats. Decisions, decisions....

Thanks for all of the advice so far.
A pair of shell seats makes thre rear area totally unuseable except for things like a folder umbrella
Old 05-03-2009, 11:00 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Thanks Bob!, I like the GT3 large harness holes, but the lollipop head is awkward looking

How about the GT2 versions?
The GT2 seats are silly expensive, A friend looked at them for his 997 and was quoted by the dealer in Canada around $6k each. Sunset quoted around $4k. Nice seat though.....
Old 05-04-2009, 12:12 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will you be using a HANS? I find that my HANS rubs the back of the GT3 seats which makes me wonder if they are even hans compatible? Doesn't bother me enough to buy new seats though

I really liked my recaro pole positions but they the harness holes were too low for my shoulders.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:28 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

As mentioned, currently the best 'compromise' seat is the new GT2 seat, albeit priced at a premium.
IMHO, the next would be seats from an RS or a RSAmerica.

BTW, it is a slippery slope, especially when it comes to personal protection.
The seat really should be considered part of an overall driver protection system (seat, harnesses, H&N restraint, roll over protection, fire extinguisher within reach, etc). They all must be compatible by design and installation.

It really doesn't work on an a la carte basis.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:40 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trophy
The GT2 seats are silly expensive, A friend looked at them for his 997 and was quoted by the dealer in Canada around $6k each. Sunset quoted around $4k. Nice seat though.....
There were some c/f GT2 replicas on the market this past winter, they were very tempting and attractively priced. I didn't bite because I didn't know how they would fit my clydsdale frame.

Looks like I'm going to stick w/ the SPG XL in mine. I finally got all the parts to work in harmony over the weekend.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:10 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Just as an FYI, many Sparco models at the moment are tough to get. There is some issue and many of my suppliers are out of the popular models. I have had to call around to MANY stocking dealers to find mostly no inventory. I keep being told that it could take 6-8 more weeks until supply comes in. So before you make the decision, you might check inventories on the models you are considering..
Old 05-04-2009, 12:23 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
There were some c/f GT2 replicas on the market this past winter, they were very tempting and attractively priced. I didn't bite because I didn't know how they would fit my clydsdale frame.

Looks like I'm going to stick w/ the SPG XL in mine. I finally got all the parts to work in harmony over the weekend.
Revozsport has replicas of the 997 GT3 seat and I've been told they may be coming out with GT2 seats also. I have not seen them in person yet and have no view as to quality and/or safety other than that they are not factory seats FWIW. I've been looking for an excuse to go and see their stuff in person, so might have to go this or next week :0

post on BMW M5 Board

BTW thanks for posting your experience installing these seats in your car....very informative

Quick Reply: Track seat advice