Sponsored by:

Brad Penn oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ironimages
Ok, not to start another "oil war" here on the forums...
spoilsport..... we're overdue for another oil thread.

Adam (flatsixforme) beautiful car, nice mods.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:25 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I am on my 3rd change and have used the BP 20W-50 racing only. 72K on odometer and usage apx 3000 miles / qt. It's also easier to read on dipstick even when new (dark green color)
Old 04-22-2009, 04:35 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Patfat
I used Swepco 20w50 in my 993 and have been happy. Plus, I can pick it up locally.
Where locally are you getting BP???
Old 04-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Redblurr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using BP 20w50 for a few oil changes now. Was recommended by Steve Wiener since I think he is always pulling apart these engines and has seen proof with his own eyes that the protection is great. I have read somewhere(dont remember where) that the Zinc and phos. are actually lower than what BP claims but seems to be doing fine.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:06 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff91C2T
Where locally are you getting BP???
I'm using Swepco oil and buy it from OG racing in Sterling Va.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:07 PM
shanepotter
Instructor

Yes. 2nd change of BP 20w50.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:41 PM
MM993
Instructor

I just changed from Mobil 1 to BP 20w50 today!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:54 PM
dmwallace
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm using Swepco 15W-40 in my 993; just recently had the spring oil change done.

I recall that Mr. Navarro over on Pelican recently did a test in his personal car in which he blended Brad Penn 10W-30 and 20W-50 in a 50/50 mix to get 15W-40. I believe he indicated that BP indicated it was fine to do the blending and he also did a UOA which showed good results.

Regards,
David
Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 287 Posts

I approached BRAD PENN last year and specifically asked for their opinion as to the viability of blending their 10W30 & 20W50 to get an effective 15W40 and they gave me a thumbs up. It was yours truly who informed Mr. Navarro of Brad Penn's response. It's in both my Porsches... I sleep better now. Here's the response to my inquiry:

Thank you for contacting the American Refining Group, Inc and for your inquiry.

I can understand your concerns in regards to ZDDP protection. As you may know stricter emission requirements have caused the need to reduce the amount and type of anti-wear agent used in the oil (ZDDP-zinc dialkyldithiophosphate) in order to lower the oil’s phosphorous content and help protect catalytic converter poisoning. This has raised questions about the ability of “newer” engine oils to provide the needed anti-wear protection to critical engine parts.

Brad Penn® Penn-Grade 1® Racing Oils have retained the higher levels of anti-wear (ZDDP) and enhanced film strength so critical to proper engine protection. We continue to receive very favorable comments from racers, engine builders and enthusiasts alike using our Brad Penn® Penn-Grade 1® Racing Oils in engines using flat tappet cams as well as those utilizing roller type cams….which if I’m not mistaken, are incorporated in the ’95 Porsche Carrera make-up. As an FYI….most of the cam manufacturers’ are now recommending our Brad Penn® Penn-Grade 1® Racing Oils after extensive testing. They include Crane Cams, Crower Cams, Schneider Cams, Isky Cams, Howards Cams, Bullet Cams and Ultradyne Cams. In addition, Koffels, the large cylinder head player in the racing industry, not only recommends our racing oils after testing, they are also selling our racing oil!

Now getting back to your inquiry, as good as our Brad Penn® Penn-Grade 1® Racing Oils perform; there are certain applications that require special attention….as with what we find with the “air-cooled” nature of your Porsche Carrera engine. The very nature of an air-cooled engine places extraordinary demands upon the oil itself, emphasizing the need for oil and filter changes at regularly scheduled, carefully selected intervals (typically 3,000 miles). With that said, we have also received numerous “favorable” comments from end users with air-cooled Porsches who are having great success using the Brad Penn® Penn-Grade 1® oils for normal highway driving. We are aware that the “preferred” lubricant for Porsches is in fact synthetic oil. But let me add that a mineral based 15W-40 oil is suitable for use as long as the ambient temperature is above 14°F (-10°C) and that proper oil change intervals are followed.

Let me conclude by stating that we obviously do not advocate mixing oils. However, since both products are Brad Penn® Penn-Grade 1® Partial Synthetic Racing Oils there should be no problem with mixing of the two viscosity grades. Mixing SAE 10W-30 and SAE 20W-50 in equal amounts should yield an oil viscosity that is very close to your desired SAE 15W-40.

I trust this answers your inquiry. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact us again at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Kenneth M. Tyger

Technical Service Representative

American Refining Group, Inc.
Old 04-23-2009, 02:55 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

I was under the impression that Brad Penn is NOT recommended for motors with hydraulic lifters. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:03 AM
dmwallace
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NC TRACKRAT,

My apologies for not crediting you in my earlier reply. I can't believe I missed it on the Pelican Ultimate Oil thread (now holding at 56 pages).

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...70#post4602070
Old 04-23-2009, 09:24 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
I was under the impression that Brad Penn is NOT recommended for motors with hydraulic lifters. Can anyone shed some light on this?
I don't recall reading that anywhere. There are a bunch of well-respected P-Car shops that are using B-P exclusively unless specifically told otherwise by their customers. I'm reading in the owner's manual of my car and they specify certain weights and levels of API service for both mineral and synthetic oil. I cannot imagine that there would be any adverse affect in using B-P oil in a Porsche with hydraulic lifters.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 AM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dmwallace
NC TRACKRAT,

My apologies for not crediting you in my earlier reply. I can't believe I missed it on the Pelican Ultimate Oil thread (now holding at 56 pages).

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...70#post4602070
No apologies necessary. I don't believe he credited me with the info....None needed. Just thought I'd set the record straight here.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:36 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Another BP 20W-50 user here
Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adam (flatsixforme) came up with the blend idea when he was living here in KC. I followed his lead and feel as if it performs fine. I just did my second change and blended the two Brad Penn viscosities again.

Based on the letter from BP that NC Trackrat posted I will continue to use BP and blend it myself.

Thanks for posting Trackrat.

Last edited by Mark Harris; 04-23-2009 at 03:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Brad Penn oil